PDA

View Full Version : Help please! 850 Heated mirror/rear window relay changing.

foammanmark
Friday 17th January 2014, 19:15
So I've bought the relay, removed the lower dash on the driver's side, and after that I'm struggling to see the relay I need to change, never mind pull it. Should I come in from the engine compartment fuse box?

I also have my driver's seat out of the car, as I've attempted the cable fix inside the seat back, so I can lie out in the car, if I have to do the relay from underneath the dash.

mikealder
Friday 17th January 2014, 19:33
I would pull the scuttle panel from the base of the windscreen then release the cable loom running across the car before releasing the fuse/ relay box securing nuts and lifting the relay crate upwards, makes changing the relays so much easier and the one you want to change is on the second row down from the top so you don't need to lift it too far up - Mike

foammanmark
Friday 17th January 2014, 19:36
I would pull the scuttle panel from the base of the windscreen then release the cable loom running across the car before releasing the fuse/ relay box securing nuts and lifting the relay crate upwards, makes changing the relays so much easier and the one you want to change is on the second row down from the top so you don't need to lift it too far up - Mike

Cheers for that, and I find it hard to believe that people can change them from underneath the dash.

mikealder
Friday 17th January 2014, 19:41
Have a read through This (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?53862-Variable-intermittant-Wipe-(VW99-Relay-upgrade)&p=671808&highlight=#post671808) Thread which shows what's required to get at the relays from above, the one you need to change is the large orange can with a letter "A" printed on the end - Mike

foammanmark
Friday 17th January 2014, 19:47
Have a read through This (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?53862-Variable-intermittant-Wipe-(VW99-Relay-upgrade)&p=671808&highlight=#post671808) Thread which shows what's required to get at the relays from above, the one you need to change is the large orange can with a letter "A" printed on the end - Mike

Brilliant, thank you so much!!

foammanmark
Saturday 18th January 2014, 12:44
Just waiting for the weather to hopefully brighten up a bit, as I'm doing this on the street. I could go to my garage, but would struggle to have the bonnet up in the 90 degree angle there.