PDA

View Full Version : climate control module problem

craigieboy
Sunday 12th January 2014, 16:11
Hi guys so yestorday afyer reconnecting the battery my ccm has stopped working I have checked necessary fuses but can not locate the fult any ideas?

Harvey
Sunday 12th January 2014, 16:41
Hi Craig ,when you removed the battery lead did you have the key out of the ignition ?,and waited 10 mins for the car to shut down.
Also when you reconnected the battery did you have the key in the ignition turned to number 2 position if not this could be your problem,might just need a reset with a VIDA-Dice.

jdavis
Sunday 12th January 2014, 17:05
The p2s are funny buggers with disconnecting and reconnecting battery. I was advised to get it fitted at dealer

JamesT5
Sunday 12th January 2014, 20:06
I have some experience with removing the CCM and did some research before hand.

Try this.... make sure the car is powered down fully (as Harvey says give it at least 10 minutes). Take both battery terminals off the battery completely and hold them together for around 30 seconds. Put the positive cable back on first followed by the negative cable, then once all reconnected try and restart the car and see if the module comes to life.

Apparently this can often work.

V70-R-T5
Sunday 12th January 2014, 22:08
I went through this six months ago because I didn't leave it 10 minutes before disconnecting the battery as Harvey correctly states.

Issue solved by a second hand unit with exactly the same part number and ideally with the same switch layout for the DSTC/Child Locks (if fitted) etc. All the joining of disconnected positive and negative battery leads will not change anything I'm afraid. Your CCM unit is not being recognised by the main control unit for the car. Don't worry if the second hand unit doesn't have exactly the same switches they can be swapped with the ones from your original unit. The main control unit recognises the position the switch occupies in the front facia of the CCM unit and not what the switch says. For example I swapped the folding mirror switch (there not fitted to the wife's T5) with the one for the electric child locks and the locks worked.

Hope this helps. I feel your pain.

PM me if you need anything further.

M-R-P
Monday 13th January 2014, 10:25

Try this.... make sure the car is powered down fully (as Harvey says give it at least 10 minutes). Take both battery terminals off the battery completely and hold them together for around 30 seconds. Put the positive cable back on first followed by the negative cable, then once all reconnected try and restart the car and see if the module comes to life.

Yep - done that, and did the lock/unlock thing too but still dead. I'll see if I can get someone with Vida to try and re-activate it before we go down the replacement route.

That's providing he doesn't swap it for a landrover first. :slap:

Harvey
Monday 13th January 2014, 11:16
Just wondering why the battery was disconnected in the first place,was it for a bit of welding ?.

M-R-P
Monday 13th January 2014, 11:25
Just wondering why the battery was disconnected in the first place,was it for a bit of welding ?.

Cut'n'shut on the downpipe ;)

oblark
Monday 13th January 2014, 12:45

When I was doing some welding on my exhaust I just removed the ecu

V70-R-T5
Monday 13th January 2014, 19:39
Yep - done that, and did the lock/unlock thing too but still dead. I'll see if I can get someone with Vida to try and re-activate it before we go down the replacement route.

That's providing he doesn't swap it for a landrover first. :slap:

Yes, totally agree M-R-P with the finding of someone with Vida. I took mine to my auto electrician mate who has Vida and it was he who told me the CCM wasn't "speaking" to the main module. He suggested a second hand unit as I described above before paying the £580 to Volvo for a new one. Oh plus the £60 or so for the software.

Located a suitable second hand unit from a breakers and when it arrived I contacted him to get him to check it and reprogramme it to the car's VIN number. He said to just plug it in and see if it works. If it didn't he'd do the reprogramme. Anyway, plugged it in and hey presto it sprang into life. Ironically when I was swapping the child lock and electric mirror switches I mistakenly fitted the fascia from my old unit onto the replacement second hand part PCB and...nothing worked. Refitted the second hand units fascia back on and all was OK again.

So, my suspicion is that the damage caused isn't to the PCB at the back it's something to do with the front fascia panel.

craigieboy
Thursday 16th January 2014, 06:16
Hi Craig ,when you removed the battery lead did you have the key out of the ignition ?,and waited 10 mins for the car to shut down.
Also when you reconnected the battery did you have the key in the ignition turned to number 2 position if not this could be your problem,might just need a reset with a VIDA-Dice.

Yeah I waited for the car to shut down with key out of ignition be4 disconnection but I didnt have key in position 2 when I reconected it :(

V70-R-T5
Friday 17th January 2014, 00:27
Craig, don't beat yourself up about the position 2 thing. The guy that looks after my V70's was the workshop foreman then service manager at the local Volvo dealership before starting his own (very successful) garage business.

He assured me, when I had the problem, that the position 2 instruction from Volvo was to ensure that no air bag deployment was possible on reconnecting the battery and not to do with "diluting the shock of reconnection by using the big load drawing circuits like the ignition and day running light circuits" as it was suggested on one internet threads I read. Basically the "position 2" would appear to be a cost saving action to completely eliminate the expense of having to replacing air bags should they inadvertently deploy on reconnection of the battery.

See if someone with Vida can do a system check to see if the main control unit is recognising the CCM. If it is, a reset may be all that you'll need.

There's a 7 digit number on a blue sticker on the back of the CCM that identifies it. (Mine is 8651242). Should you have to replace it, that's the 7 digit number to match up with a second hand unit. I was surprised how many are available on the popular auction site. My second hand unit cost £35 delivered which was a £550 saving over a new one from Volvo.

M-R-P
Friday 17th January 2014, 07:04
When I did the "hold read and press the rear fog button 4 times" trick on Craig's car, I cycled through the DTC list and CCM came up as "not present" or "missing" (something like that).

Let's see what Vida brings...

craigieboy
Friday 17th January 2014, 18:44
Wouldent have this problen if id of bought another disco :(

M-R-P
Monday 24th February 2014, 19:40
finally a solution, here's the story...

we bought another ccm with the correct numbers on it from Latvia (it was the only one on eBay in a month).
Craig fitted it today but it wasn't all working...
heated seats, heated window and a few other functions didn't work but he at least had control of the main heater and a/c.
he popped round earlier to see if there was anything that could be done. Some buttons were different so Craig asked me to swap the facia over, prepared to tolerate the problems with the basics working.
when I took his old ccm apart, I noticed the thermister was broken... this got me thinking back to James and his ccm shenanigans and after a quick Google I cut the thermister out of the replacement ccm, fitted it to the original ccm and lo and behold... it all works! everything!
needless to say, Chavboy has a big grin :)

'bout time I got summat fixed lol.

V70 Graham
Monday 24th February 2014, 19:46
Great result, and well done for fixing it, I know it's been a pain for him for a while now.

Handy that James did his write up a while back.

.....are you on a roll this week fixing things then lol.

M-R-P
Monday 24th February 2014, 20:08
Great result, and well done for fixing it, I know it's been a pain for him for a while now.

Handy that James did his write up a while back.

.....are you on a roll this week fixing things then lol.

can't be worse than last week lol

Harvey
Monday 24th February 2014, 20:59
Great news,I bet he never missed the heating.

M-R-P
Monday 24th February 2014, 21:04
I think he missed the heated seats... I don't like them, feels like you've pissed yourself

silverhorse
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 04:30
It's amazing how such a little component can cause such havoc with so many systems!! Well done mate and well done James!

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 08:33
It's crazy - I saw the broken thermistor and immediately thought of James' thread, did some googling and found the same thing happening all over the tinter-web.

Craig's face when I cut the thermistor off his nearly-new, almost-working panel was a picture and to be honest I wasn't 100% sure it would work but I knew I could put it back on the other panel, should I need to.

There's also the option of just jumping the broken thermistor with a bit of wire. The auto controls won't work properly but it does (apparently) give you back full control of the panel.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 08:42
I do love a quick blast of the heated seats when it's cold.

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 08:49
Is that in the Golf?

Don't remember the V70 having heated seats..?

V70 Graham
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 09:07
Is that in the Golf?

Your memory is going.....in the Golf AND the V70 :redface:

M-R-P
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 09:51
Oooh...

stribo
Tuesday 25th February 2014, 10:07
Is that in the Golf?

If his V70 didn't have heated seats, he's never hear the end of it, it's bad enough he didn't have a cupholder.;)

craigieboy
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 10:20
Thanks again for helping with that martin my car is starting to look up together now amd atlast no kore driving to work with my head out the window for the first 3 miles :)

LeeT5
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 11:50

For future reference, this is known in the trade as a 'Battery hard reset'. Due to nearly all cars nowadays having modules of varying complexity fitted to them from your billy basic body control module (BCM) to your full fat CEM Central electronic module, all of which are basically small computers. Sometimes they need resetting because, for want of a better word, they 'get confused'.
I am having to do Hard resets more often in my job, in fact I'd say almost daily. In most cases it will cure a problem.
One example from the other night was a brand new 63 reg Vauxhall Meriva with 1200 miles on the clock. Car had been used earlier in the day and when they went to start it later, it wouldn't.
Long story short - the Transponder function had stopped working and would not recognize the keys, so it was immobilized. After checking everything I resolved the problem with a hard reset. Once complete, everything returned to normal. I gave her instructions to take the car back to the dealer in the morning for a possible software update.

One thing to note....There is no need to remove the live terminal. Just disconnect the earth and reach it across to touch the live. Hold it for 5 seconds (to dissipate any static) then leave disconnected for 10 minutes, allowing all modules to power down and go into 'sleep' mode.
Then reconnect (following manufacturers reconnection procedure in Autodata) and all should be back to normal.

Hope that helps! :smile:

JamesT5
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 16:56
For future reference, this is known in the trade as a 'Battery hard reset'. Due to nearly all cars nowadays having modules of varying complexity fitted to them from your billy basic body control module (BCM) to your full fat CEM Central electronic module, all of which are basically small computers. Sometimes they need resetting because, for want of a better word, they 'get confused'.
I am having to do Hard resets more often in my job, in fact I'd say almost daily. In most cases it will cure a problem.
One example from the other night was a brand new 63 reg Vauxhall Meriva with 1200 miles on the clock. Car had been used earlier in the day and when they went to start it later, it wouldn't.
Long story short - the Transponder function had stopped working and would not recognize the keys, so it was immobilized. After checking everything I resolved the problem with a hard reset. Once complete, everything returned to normal. I gave her instructions to take the car back to the dealer in the morning for a possible software update.

One thing to note....There is no need to remove the live terminal. Just disconnect the earth and reach it across to touch the live. Hold it for 5 seconds (to dissipate any static) then leave disconnected for 10 minutes, allowing all modules to power down and go into 'sleep' mode.
Then reconnect (following manufacturers reconnection procedure in Autodata) and all should be back to normal.

Hope that helps! :smile:

I'm sorry? Are you trying to blow the battery up here because that can be very dangerous!

M-R-P
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 17:08
no it won't James, you're touching the car's terminals, not the battery terminals.
once you take the negative lead off, there's no energy in the system but the residual charge left in the modules.

LeeT5
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 20:37
I'm sorry? Are you trying to blow the battery up here because that can be very dangerous!

If it were dangerous do you really think I'd post an answer that was dangerous?
Martin is correct. Once you disconnect the earth then you no longer have a circuit, so you cannot blow up the battery, as you so delicately put it!
All the power to all the modules and components come from the battery. Therefore, once it is disconnected it's no longer in the circuit and cannot provide any power. Touching the earth (cable) only onto the live terminal with the live cable attached, will do nothing.
Have a read up on basic vehicle electrics, it may help your understanding. As they say, knowledge is power....
Actually, that could be dangerous, so just leave electrics to the experts mate, that way you won't break anything. :-) love ya!

stephenevans99
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 21:01
I've learned something new...cheers ;) lol

JamesT5
Monday 3rd March 2014, 07:05
Better to be safe than sorry though, I always take both of mine off just to make sure.

robbiedonkey
Monday 11th July 2016, 07:31
Hi having an issue with my a/c unit. Like this one I don't have control over the fan speed. The temp is fine but if I try to alter the speed it stays the same. I had it into local garage who is Volvo trained and he had computer on it and it didn't show any faults,however he did clear the SRS warning light as I'd not let it shut down properly before taking lead off.
So to get this thing working ok your saying it's possible to get a second hand unit and swap my facia onto it? Mine seems to be intermittent as I wanted to turn the fan up yesterday as it was warm but it refused to speed up,but this morning after it had been stood all night I got in switched it on and the fan was on at full blast,the setting I had try'd to get yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help.Rob.

robbiedonkey
Monday 11th July 2016, 07:36
Hi having an issue with my a/c unit. Like this one I don't have control over the fan speed. The temp is fine but if I try to alter the speed it stays the same. I had it into local garage who is Volvo trained and he had computer on it and it didn't show any faults,however he did clear the SRS warning light as I'd not let it shut down properly before taking lead off.
So to get this thing working ok your saying it's possible to get a second hand unit and swap my facia onto it? Mine seems to be intermittent as I wanted to turn the fan up yesterday as it was warm but it refused to speed up,but this morning after it had been stood all night I got in switched it on and the fan was on at full blast,the setting I had try'd to get yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help.Rob.

LeeT5
Monday 11th July 2016, 10:30

Hey Robbie, does your CCM (Climate Control Module) or climate control panel have a 'Auto' button?

Also, does your A/C blow out cold or rather, is it actually working?