PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my grand-dad 123GT

Colonel Moutarde
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 22:05
Hello dear Volvo community,

Here is my story. I am born in Feb 1968, two days after my grand-father got his brand new Volvo 123GT. It was alway a joke theme about who will get his baby first between him and my mother. When he passed away, my grand-mother drove the car until 1980 and handover the car to my father. I spent some miles in the car and I remember driving it alone for the first time the day I got my license. Unfortunately, he sold it in 1997, at this time, I didn't had the money and the space to keep it. My father died last year and I found in his paperworks an old register with some useful informations about the car. So now I am trying to find it back. I still hope I will find somewhere an invoice with the name of the buyer, but I doubt.

So here are the vital statistics of this Volvo:

Model: 123GT
Bought: Feb. 1968 in Geneva
Licenced in Switzerland
Color: Dark Green
Sold: October 1997

Apparently, it has disappeared from Swiss register at this date. The car has been probably sold in France.

I started to post on many Volvo forums thru Europe and the world to increase my chances to track this car. Any help will be really appreciated.

Marc

LiamT4
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 22:28
Any pics? Maybe posting on facebook would help.

Good luck with the search.

Kingsford G
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 23:51
Wow.Good luck with the searches mate and really hope you find it.

M-R-P
Thursday 9th January 2014, 00:30
something like this. (http://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/amazon/garage/1968-volvo-123gt/)

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 9th January 2014, 10:34
good luck with your search, what you need to do is put up the vin number of the car in your posts as on the older models people do tend to know a car by its chassis number.

M-R-P
Thursday 9th January 2014, 10:39
good luck with your search, what you need to do is put up the vin number of the car in your posts as on the older models people do tend to know a car by its chassis number.

Looks like he posted some details but they were removed under forum rules.

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th January 2014, 10:52
Good luck fella, I have widened the search to Volvo guys I know in Sweden and France.

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th January 2014, 10:54
something like this. (http://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/amazon/garage/1968-volvo-123gt/)

or this...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C446181

edit: help with identification....

http://www.classicroad.com/volvo/123GTinfo.htm

M-R-P
Thursday 9th January 2014, 10:56
or this...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C446181

Atacama leather... yuk!

Pinup_gal
Thursday 9th January 2014, 11:12

You can't post up details of other cars such as registration or vin number if you don't personally own them :)

stribo
Thursday 9th January 2014, 11:52
Atacama leather... yuk!

Says the man with the hearing aid beige interior.

M-R-P
Thursday 9th January 2014, 11:55

Gobi I'll have you know :haha:

jamesy12345
Thursday 9th January 2014, 11:58

I had a metallic urine coloured Volvo 460 (and a 440 come to think of it), I was fighting the ladies off with a ££££ty stick.....all desparate to get to the bingo quicker

stribo
Thursday 9th January 2014, 12:00
Gobi I'll have you know :haha:

It's spelt Gobby, and I know you are.:P

dant5r
Thursday 9th January 2014, 17:33
You can't post up details of other cars such as registration or vin number if you don't personally own them :)

It's easier to try to locate a car on public forums by it's reg or vin number than just posting up "I'm looking for a red 240 volvo"

jamesy12345
Friday 10th January 2014, 12:12
Colonel Moutarde, if you think the car has gone to France it would be a good idea to contact the 'Volvo Club de France'

I am in touch with a Volvo 480 forum over there, one of the moderators knows the president of the above club. If you send me the VIN number of the car I will pass it on.

Colonel Moutarde
Monday 13th January 2014, 21:46
Some updates about my quest. After talking with some of my family members, the car spent about two more years in the family garage after being off-registered. So the sale must have take place around 99/2000. My father did all the transaction but my mother-in-law think that the car was sold to a dutch collector living in Switzerland, but for export to northern Europe. It is a long time ago now and the 123GT may have been resold since, but I am leading my searches to north of Europe. I still have tons of family archive to search. I may find the sale invoice if I am lucky.

I saw that I cannot put a VIN number of a car I don't own, but maybe the moderator will let pass the last 3 digits ? I try ;-) ...765