PDA

View Full Version : orange management light come on

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:07
Well came to start car tonight and the orange management light came on, tried turning car off and restarting to see if it reset its self but no. Car still seems to drive ok, any idea's, my first thought is could it be oxygen sensor gone on exhaust? Any ideas would be much appreciated

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:12
Well came to start car tonight and the orange management light came on, tried turning car off and restarting to see if it reset its self but no. Car still seems to drive ok, any idea's, my first thought is could it be oxygen sensor gone on exhaust? Any ideas would be much appreciated

To be honest it could be anything, without having the codes read your just guessing.

I picked up a cheapish code reader a couple of weeks ago, I'll be doing a review soon.

stribo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:17
Has it not come up with an error message?

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:28
No strangely I checked messages and there's non, just the management light at the right hand side of binacle, and as I said car drives no differently to usual

Harvey
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:32
If the car is not happy it will pop the light on,sometimes if you run the car it will try to adjust the reason the light came on just put the light off over a day or too of use.

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:36
on the dim what does it say ie engine service required etc.....
do you see this?
if you see that a generic code reader will pic up the p code ie p0101

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:41
Yes that's the symbol, but on the dim it says no messages

Biff
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 21:58
Disconnect your battery. It could be anything even a dodgy earth.

sh0wtime
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 22:17
Generally (across all brands) if the Engine management light comes on & the car seems to be running OK (no misfires etc) its quite likely that its just the heating element circuit in one of your oxygen sensors.
coincidentally mine came on this evening too so i'll see how good my guessing is once i've plugged it in tomorrow :)

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 22:20
Generally (across all brands) if the Engine management light comes on & the car seems to be running OK (no misfires etc) its quite likely that its just the heating element circuit in one of your oxygen sensors.
coincidentally mine came on this evening too so i'll see how good my guessing is once i've plugged it in tomorrow :)

Mine was running fine....except for fuel economy which went up by about 25% turned out to be the rear sensor.

sh0wtime
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 22:33
ah yes, just checked your thread.
yours had a symptom though, as well as the light you had increased fuel consumption.
where the light is on with no discernible difference to engine running inc performance & economy its often the heater element. the open circuit brings the light on but as the computer is still getting a usable signal then the running is unaffected :)
the reason the sensors are heated is to shorten the dirty warmup phase after you first start your engine from cold.
legislation sees the need for cars to run cleaner from the moment they start, not just once they're up to temperature.
something that increases fuel consumption without a warning light coming on is the coolant temp sensor reading too cold.
Because its still giving a reading no fault is logged & the light doesn't illuminate. But because the engine thinks its cold the computer lengthens the injector pulse to increase fuelling! so its always worth checking the readings via live data if possible.
if you can't check live data then at least read the various temps & voltages as they can be quite a help :)

expolicev70t5
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 09:21
Looks like a trip to local stealer then to get codes read to find out what is wrong, however will try Biffs battery disconnection option first as fixing it for free is always preferred :)

expolicev70t5
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 09:22

Thanks for the info m8 will wait to see how you fair

sh0wtime
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 14:43
well so far not too well. i got one of the guys to pull it into the workshop for me during his lunchbreak & he fitted all 4 of my suspension springs.
when i asked him if he had fitted the OSF droplink & plugged in in for a diag he said he had run out of time......... Some people!

in all fairness fitting all 4 springs within the hour was pretty good going :)

maybe i'll see if he wants to stay late tonight too :)

Biff
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 19:42
Any joy dude?

expolicev70t5
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 20:45
Well the light was still on this morning, came to start car tonight and it went out, not had chance to check anything, but at least it's not going to cost anything at the moment

sh0wtime
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 21:57
i tried using the G-Scan after work tonight but it wouldn't read the Engine or much else. it could read the ABS but that was no good to me in this case..
we have got an Omitec scanner that i couldn't find & a Bosch KTS that i've not used yet plus i've been told there's a Delphi scanner somewhere too!
i'll get it plugged in one way or another :)
is there a particular tool that is considered THE one for Volvo?
eg Renault use Clip, VW/Audi use Vagcom etc.. is there a preferrred tool?

added as an edit - my light is still on :)

Harvey
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 22:02
i tried using the G-Scan after work tonight but it wouldn't read the Engine or much else. it could read the ABS but that was no good to me in this case..
we have got an Omitec scanner that i couldn't find & a Bosch KTS that i've not used yet plus i've been told there's a Delphi scanner somewhere too!
i'll get it plugged in one way or another :)
is there a particular tool that is considered THE one for Volvo?
eg Renault use Clip, VW/Audi use Vagcom etc.. is there a preferrred tool?

added as an edit - my light is still on :)

Yes it's called VIDA software side of things,DICE the hardware side.

sh0wtime
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 23:04
thanks for that. i'll see if anything we have is compatible :)

just googled VIDA DICE & its well cheap. might just buy one :)

V70 Graham
Thursday 9th January 2014, 05:22
just googled VIDA DICE & its well cheap. might just buy one :)

The genuine VIDA/DICE isn't that cheap.

sh0wtime
Thursday 9th January 2014, 13:56
what i saw was probably a chinese ebay special with out of date software then...

apparently the Bosch KTS will read it so at some point this week i'll plug it in :)

sh0wtime
Thursday 9th January 2014, 23:22
right then, had a quick go after work this evening...
used something called an SPi Service Scan. tbh i've never heard of them & i'd never even seen it before but i gave it a go.

link to tool http://www.spdiagnostics.com/index.php/products/service-scan/service-scan-handset

it was pretty quick & easy, plug & play. mine had 2 stored faults..
1. cylinder bank 1 too lean
2. immobiliser, key not recognised.

cleared them both without fuss & went for a drive, never came back on (so far!).

nice to know i have something so quick & easy to use to reset things :)

Also isn't it funny how much nicer they seem to drive with no warning lights on :)

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 14th January 2014, 12:31
Well it had been a week with no management light then last night it came on again and is still on this morning, symptoms still as before ie no message just the light and car still drives ok.
Typical!!

T5RatherAmusin
Tuesday 14th January 2014, 12:49
i dunno if anyones seen the new dice? but here is if anyones interested. works on windows 7 :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013A-Newest-Super-Volvo-VIDA-Dice-Pro-Diagnostic-Tool-Operate-on-Win7-Only-/281183552981?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4177d885d5~

did you get codes read bud?

expolicev70t5
Tuesday 14th January 2014, 13:07
i dunno if anyones seen the new dice? but here is if anyones interested. works on windows 7 :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013A-Newest-Super-Volvo-VIDA-Dice-Pro-Diagnostic-Tool-Operate-on-Win7-Only-/281183552981?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4177d885d5~

did you get codes read bud?

No didn't get chance last time as light went off before I got to garage