PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile Championship 2014

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 08:48
This my not be everyones cup of tea, so I'm just throwing it out there to see what the the interest is and remember this is meant as a bit of fun whilst we are attending a 1/4 meet and doesn't effect individual times

After some fire side discussions this summer just gone I've taken the various ideas and bashed them around for a while until I'd got what thought may be a fun format for a race series and fair to all ( I believe ), obviously it is still a work in progress and I still have to check whether all four venues can run this format ( the two main ones do as another forum run a similar format for there championship ) or may be the format might be slightly different for these two meets, but at the end of the day this is just for fun whilst we're there

If you don’t understand it or don’t like a bit of fun and a laugh, this may not be for you this is designed as a bit of fun it has absolutely nothing to do with the time you run, all that counts is winner on the bottom of your time-slip, obviously the time counts for all other 1/4 mile tables, but here it’s win move up or lose drop down.

1st meet will start seasons challenge table ( if you ain’t there, you’ll have to start at the bottom)

Seasons meets will probably be 6 in total, spread about to make it fair (ish) to all consisting of :- 3x avon,1x york, 1x north weald, 1x pod (dates to be announced)

1st season will be difficult as all probabilities won’t have come to light until end of season, this is meant as a bit of racing fun, anything can happen staging and leaving stage, so the underdog has more than a fair chance, whatever vehicle there in (as long as it is a volvo ( or powered by volvo might by allowed))

1st meet challenge names drawn from claymore’s hat ( the only one that I can normally guarantee to have one), late arrivals ( if you ain’t there, you’ll have to start at the bottom)

For the first races of the season entrants will have to be drawn by lots, unless the idea is bettered

2 or 3 runs need to be done to get an bracket time ( don’t sandbag as if you breakout of your bracket by more than 0.250sec a penalty could occur)

Then for instance, say 12 cars are present at the first meet of the season, the names then are drawn, car1 races car 2 the winner goes to 1st place loser to 6th and this is repeated through the other 5 races in a similar manner filling the top and bottom places, once 6 races are run and the start point will have now been sorted by the luck of the draw, so as to speak and the challenge begins

you then are free to challenge the person above you if you wish but you don’t have to, but if you’re challenged by the person below you, you must take the challenge or forefit your place to the challenger, hopefully we could then get 2 or 3 challenge runs into a meet

New Competitor :- people can join during the season, but will start in last place and work there way up race by race

holiday break :- one missed event the holiday break can be used were attendance points only will be added to your results total

knackered car :- car could be changed during the season once in the event of breakdown, but must be replaced with a Volvo or Volvo powered vehicle

Attendance points to be added to results board for all attended race meets

Handicapping :- possibly doing 3 timed runs to get average (bracket time) and then using that time to delay your or your competitors start by the amount of the difference between you to make it all on the finish line (and there may then be a penalty for breaking out of bracket time to stop competitors sandbagging average timed runs)

Results and Finishing place points :- points then go into the table ( if 12 cars run first place will get 12 points and last place 1 + attendance points) and this will set the order for the next meet and competition will continue as before (2 or 3 sighting runs and then competitive drags)

Prizes :- the glory plus whatever we come up with (probably a FrankieT5 2014 bent forged conrod mounted on a plinth)

Please don't shoot me it's just an idea for those that wishing to play and I'm open to useful suggestions

jamesy12345
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 08:54
I'm unlikely to make all the events but sounds good to me, IN.

Love the idea of a broken part being used as a trophy - I can donate a melted spark plug, a knackered spark plug cover screw or an injector with the end missing :S

edit:

o o o please sir here are the rules for (h)andicapping

http://www.nhra.net/basics/handicap.html

edit edit:

here is the aforementioned screw, on the end of a stud extractor

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 08:57
I'm unlikely to make all the events but sounds good to me, IN.

Love the idea of a broken part being used as a trophy - I can donate a melted spark plug, a knackered spark plug cover screw or an injector with the end missing :S

may be the prize should be the most novel part broken during the season, mounted on a nice wooden plinth

jamesy12345
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 09:00
may be the prize should be the most novel part broken during the season, mounted on a nice wooden plinth

my entry is above! Hopefully the end of the injector won't make a reappearance jammed in the turbo..............!

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 09:08
my entry is above! Hopefully the end of the injector won't make a reappearance jammed in the turbo..............!

well we have two, then let racing commence....lol

p fandango
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 09:24
going by last year their'll be a few gearboxes that can be used as trophy's lol

WOODY T5
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 09:56
Got to give u all a chance this year then:D

Nealevo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 11:00
I had this made for a trophy.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/nealevo/99313F85-81FE-4442-B71A-5A076117E0C4_zpstykxmg46.jpg (http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/nealevo/media/99313F85-81FE-4442-B71A-5A076117E0C4_zpstykxmg46.jpg.html)

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 11:04
Is that last years remains ?

Nealevo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 11:10
Is that last years remains ?

yes mate.....Doh

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 12:40
I like most of the idea but not bracket racing

Jamest5r
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 13:02
I like most of the idea but not bracket racing

That's what I said as well

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 13:04
That's what I said as well

Great minds, who wants to start at different times? Lol

stribo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 13:15

You start while the light's still red anyway. ;)

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 13:20

Lol too much pressure

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 13:46
I don't like bracket racing but everything else sounds good

p fandango
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 14:21
bracket racing gives a fair chance to everyone so money/mods are irrelevant

graemewelch
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 14:52
sounds like its all getting a bit complicated to me. its just a bit fun a few times a year. turn up and try and get your do to do its fastest time. i know 100% i wont turn up to 6 races next year. most of them are the other end of the country to me.

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 15:17
I'm going to try and do atleast 10 this year

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 15:23

10.0 seconds.....good luck with that mate !

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 15:29

Yes that 0 to 60 mate and I'm going to try a beat 15,5 sec on the quater

t5 pete
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 16:53

Ide be happy if smith just manages to get the car to any

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 17:17
Ide be happy if smith just manages to get the car to any

It's getting there now mate got the fuel lines and pick them up Saturday

claymore
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 17:34
I might just be able to creep in there ;)

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 17:46
I will be 10 secs behind everyone else lol

stribo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 18:05
Yes that 0 to 60 mate and I'm going to try a beat 15,5 sec on the quater

Even Graham's managed that. ;)

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 18:19

Just lol

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 18:29

Yes but I'm not graham I carnt drive for ££££

stribo
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 19:55
Yes but I'm not graham I carnt drive for ££££

Neither can he, that's why he's a bus driver. :hilarious

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:11
Neither can he, that's why he's a bus driver. :hilarious

And that is why I am a truck driver too lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:24
smithy wont even beat his old time of 13.9 in his 940

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 20:52
smithy wont even beat his old time of 13.9 in his 940

That must be a miss print mate more like 16.9 lol.the clocks must of been wrong

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 21:00
Happy to participate....but some else will need to work out the scores as you lost me half way through...

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 21:14
That must be a miss print mate more like 16.9 lol.the clocks must of been wrong

yeah cos i have a video of my saffy beating you if you wanna see it? lol

smithy
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 21:29
yeah cos i have a video of my saffy beating you if you wanna see it? lol

If it makes you happy lol my car has always been slow so I can only go up the ratings .

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 00:01
Thanks for all the feed back and chatter on this subject, I'll try and answer all your relevant posts and a few others, did know that a few would be against bracket racing but we don't have to do it that way, I just saw it as being fair to all (but possibly a right headache for me) but just straight head to head is fine, just want to get more Volvo head to head action going

I had this made for a trophy.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/nealevo/99313F85-81FE-4442-B71A-5A076117E0C4_zpstykxmg46.jpg (http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/nealevo/media/99313F85-81FE-4442-B71A-5A076117E0C4_zpstykxmg46.jpg.html)

that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, but a bent FORGED Frankie rod would be even better....lol

honestly thought you would like hunting us down a nipping the win and it would teach you patience young man

probably the same in bed, jump start and come first.....lol

bracket racing gives a fair chance to everyone so money/mods are irrelevant

thats what I thought, would be an interesting experience watching your competitor leave and then focusing on the lights, then the chase to the line or the other way around, leaving first and going like stink in the hope you don't get pipped to the post and the specy's would get some close racing instead of runaway wins

sounds like its all getting a bit complicated to me. its just a bit fun a few times a year. turn up and try and get your do to do its fastest time. i know 100% i wont turn up to 6 races next year. most of them are the other end of the country to me.

did you read the first paragraph, there would still be normal running as well, this is just an extra bit of fun for those who want to and changes nothing else, so if you want to turn up and run as normal that is up to you

if we're starting a book on this I'm going to bet that you make it to 5

Happy to participate....but some else will need to work out the scores as you lost me half way through...

not a problem, scoring will be as simple as I am, so pretty simple....lol

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 00:53
Love the trophy - just wondering if we are going to set some regulations about entries or is that too serious?

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 01:32
Is there going to be a penalty points punishment if you challenge above your station and lose??
I'll probably be in negative figures.

I reckon qtr time plus reaction time stands. Give those with balls to go early a chance against those who have a quicker car.
Also it doesn't require two cars to line up side by side necessarily.
You could set the challenge before joining the queue.
The challenger has to run first.
Then the challenged person runs second in an attempt to hold onto the crown.

The above could even work with racers running at different strips, but slightly harder to administrate because you'd always just choose the best run of the day.

..... Or only challenge one car per day versus your fastest time like a game of top trumps??

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 10:42
Love the trophy - just wondering if we are going to set some regulations about entries or is that too serious?

yep, your right that would be far to serious, but may be just the one, you have to have a complete working car..that will rule out at least 4 people I know at present.....lol

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 10:45
Is there going to be a penalty points punishment if you challenge above your station and lose??
I'll probably be in negative figures.

I reckon qtr time plus reaction time stands. Give those with balls to go early a chance against those who have a quicker car.
Also it doesn't require two cars to line up side by side necessarily.
You could set the challenge before joining the queue.
The challenger has to run first.
Then the challenged person runs second in an attempt to hold onto the crown.

The above could even work with racers running at different strips, but slightly harder to administrate because you'd always just choose the best run of the day.

..... Or only challenge one car per day versus your fastest time like a game of top trumps??

penalty points would have only come into play if we were bracket racing and someone breaks out of their dial in time, so unlikely to happen

jamesy12345
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 11:01
penalty points would have only come into play if we were bracket racing and someone breaks out of their dial in time, so unlikely to happen

this is awful complicated! In the words of Graham Hill: "the thing is, old boy, I'm not going to do any of that. I'm just going to get in and then go as fast as I can" :D

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 11:12
this is awful complicated! In the words of Graham Hill: "the thing is, old boy, I'm not going to do any of that. I'm just going to get in and then go as fast as I can" :D

it isn't complicated at all cause brackets won't happen cause its not fair on the boys with the power....they have no patience to wait on the line, it will be head to head at the same time and just rely on a better start than your competitor, if your down on power

as I said earlier you can do what the hell you like, this is an extra for those that want to and effects nothing else

jamesy12345
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 11:29
it isn't complicated at all cause brackets won't happen cause its not fair on the boys with the power....they have no patience to wait on the line, it will be head to head at the same time and just rely on a better start than your competitor, if your down on power

as I said earlier you can do what the hell you like, this is an extra for those that want to and effects nothing else

I'm a supporter of a league btw, it was a good idea. Why make new/preferential rules tho - the NHRA link I posted has them already made for example. Probably one of the venues has something we can use too. We should either run as before ignoring reaction time or go the whole way with dial-in times and all that.

T5frankie
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 11:47
[QUOTE=MoleT5-R;678529]it isn't complicated at all cause brackets won't happen cause its not fair on the boys with the power....they have no patience to wait on the line, it will be head to head at the same time and just rely on a better start than your competitor, if your down on power

[/QUOTEbracket racing is for people who can't be arsed improving their car to be competitive

smithy
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 12:03
[QUOTE=MoleT5-R;678529]it isn't complicated at all cause brackets won't happen cause its not fair on the boys with the power....they have no patience to wait on the line, it will be head to head at the same time and just rely on a better start than your competitor, if your down on power

[/QUOTEbracket racing is for people who can't be arsed improving their car to be competitive

Bracket racing is the only way I will win any races .i will have to start 6 secs before anybody else to try and win lol

V70 Graham
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 13:22
Bracket racing is the only way I will win any races .i will have to start 6 secs before anybody else to try and win lol

You and me both mate.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 9th January 2014, 00:34
[QUOTE=T5frankie;678535]

I need to leave six seconds before you...lol