PDA

View Full Version : What sockets are you using for the 15mm caliper carrier bolts?

foammanmark
Saturday 4th January 2014, 23:44
Since the caliper carrier bolts on my C70 'rounded', I'm reluctant to tackle my other cars. I used just a standard 15mm socket, but is that what other peeps use please? I want to replace discs and pads on my 850 and V70, so don't want the rounding to happen again if poss.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 4th January 2014, 23:49
have you tried a 15mm wall- drive socket from beta or other good makes, they drive on the walls rather than the corners and may even remove your rounded ones

t5 pete
Saturday 4th January 2014, 23:49
A standard socket will do fine make sure you have it square on and fully on upon refitting use copper slip it will make it easier next time

foammanmark
Saturday 4th January 2014, 23:51
have you tried a 15mm wall- drive socket from beta or other good makes, they drive on the walls rather than the corners and may even remove your rounded ones

No I haven't, and that's why I ask. I thought that there was only standard sockets, but then heard that there was other better sockets out there. I'll take a look at the ones you mention above thanks.

foammanmark
Saturday 4th January 2014, 23:53
A standard socket will do fine make sure you have it square on and fully on upon refitting use copper slip it will make it easier next time

On the C70, I ended up with a 15mm being too big, and a 14mm too small, so finished with an imperial 9/16 th's I think it was as being the best fit. It ended up being sorted by my local indy who is used to this issue.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 5th January 2014, 01:42
I would always use a 6 point socket rather than a 12 point when doing anything with corrosion in the equation as you tend to get a by more "bite". 15mm 6 point snap on with a breaker bar works for me every time!

Don't get me started on 8mm hex bits for the calipers though!

mikealder
Sunday 5th January 2014, 05:27
Don't get me started on 8mm hex bits for the calipers though!

Eurocar parts stock an extended handle 7MM allen key for the caliper bolts, works a treat and a good addition to the toolbox, made by Pagid - Mike

p fandango
Sunday 5th January 2014, 06:11
i went thru a spate of rounding bolts off as i was using normal 12-point sockets, i bought this set from Screwfix (6point sockets) & fingers crossed not rounded one off since LINK (http://www.screwfix.com/p/impact-socket-set-37-pieces/13872)

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 5th January 2014, 11:23
I always have a set of impact sockets(6 sided) available for rounded units. Worst case is smash a smaller socket over the bolt..

foammanmark
Sunday 5th January 2014, 18:18
6 sided sockets on the list to buy soon, before I tackle the discs/pads. Watching these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200967180199?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

merc85
Sunday 5th January 2014, 18:34
I also use 6 sided sockets, havent had a problem for along time :)

graemewelch
Sunday 5th January 2014, 23:38
as above but if a bolt is stubburn enough to make you think i may round off then get some heat on it. butane torch is enough. if the corners are starting to round off then replace the bolt. ive never come across a bolt that wont come out when using heat. dosnt have to be read hot. patience is better than bruit force

streaky744
Friday 7th February 2014, 00:21
best addition to any tool box is a set of urwins, does not matter if the bolt has rounded off as the more pressure you apply the more they grip, how ever new bolt will be needed afterwards.

regards sockets always buy the best quality you can afford. and snap on are not always the best, your paying for the name on half of there stuff, consider facom, britool, signum, clarke or even the Halfords pro range which now also offer life time warranties on some of there ranges but with out the snap off premium.

graemewelch
Friday 7th February 2014, 00:36
I hate snap on tool. They are for snobs who dont know how to use them. Ive had snap on ratchets befor and thry were crap

Orca2
Friday 7th February 2014, 01:05
Facom are the dogs ££££££££ ,pricey but bombproof, if you consider that you will probably never have to replace them ,lifetime guaranteed, they actually work out cheaper in the long run, and less chance of skinning your knuckles!

T5RatherAmusin
Friday 7th February 2014, 09:03
Facom are the dogs ££££££££ ,pricey but bombproof, if you consider that you will probably never have to replace them ,lifetime guaranteed, they actually work out cheaper in the long run, and less chance of skinning your knuckles!
i have a large set of the halfords kit. theyr normally on a good offer....
i have a load of other brand tools depending on the tool, bt find myself going for silverline stff as its a good buy!