PDA

View Full Version : Had the lens of a projector, now condensation.

foammanmark
Saturday 4th January 2014, 17:08
I removed the lens from one of my headlights a few days ago, as I was trying to retrieve a sidelight bulb that came out of the bulb holder, but then sussed that I didn't need to remove it in the first place. Anyway, I was really careful with the seal when replacing the lens, but I now have unsightly condensation.

Anyone else had the same issue, and have I dropped a clanger?

Thanatos
Saturday 4th January 2014, 17:40
I get this with my projectors every now and then take the car for a long drive and put some silica gel bags in the back the heat will dry the lenses and the silica gel will help absorb any moisture when cold

foammanmark
Saturday 4th January 2014, 17:42
I get this with my projectors every now and then take the car for a long drive and put some silica gel bags in the back the heat will dry the lenses and the silica gel will help absorb any moisture when cold

Cheers for that and I have plenty of those in cases and stuff.

silverhorse
Sunday 5th January 2014, 00:32
Next time, do it in the summer on a nice hot day, not on a clod, damp January day!!

foammanmark
Sunday 5th January 2014, 01:00
Next time, do it in the summer on a nice hot day, not on a clod, damp January day!!

That is probably a very good idea there thanks!!

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 5th January 2014, 09:36
This use to happen on one of my old cars, the solution I tried that worked was to unclip the rear cover that you usually take off when changing the bulb. Don't remove it completely just enough to let some air get in. Drove around for months like this and never has an issue again. :B_thumb:

foammanmark
Sunday 5th January 2014, 18:26
This use to happen on one of my old cars, the solution I tried that worked was to unclip the rear cover that you usually take off when changing the bulb. Don't remove it completely just enough to let some air get in. Drove around for months like this and never has an issue again. :B_thumb:

I'm hoping that I've sorted it now, as when I first removed the lens, the seal was sort of stuck to the lens and I replaced it like that. However, yesterday, the seal parted from the lens, and I replaced the seal into the plastic locator prior to refitting the lens, so I'm hoping it's now a snugger fit.