PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper arm

neil298
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 10:40
I have what seems to be a common problem with the rear wiper on my 04 T5 V70 in that it has no 'guts' and just whirrs without moving,I was going to strip it down as advised on here but I removed the 12mm nut under the plastic cover but the wiper arm is stuck solid on the spigot that goes through rear screen and into the motor,am I right in thinking this should just lift off or is there something else i've got to do to remove it?...It seems as if its rusted itself on and no matter how much force I use it will not budge...help!

M-R-P
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 10:44
Unwind the nut until it's nearly off and squeeze it against the other side of the wiper knuckle with some big pliers. Keep squeezing all around it and give it the occasional "technical tap" and it should pop off eventually.

Harvey
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 10:48
Unwind the nut until it's nearly off and squeeze it against the other side of the wiper knuckle with some big pliers. Keep squeezing all around it and give it the occasional "technical tap" and it should pop off eventually.

Do you Martin have any info on a "technical tap" is that with a 2lb or 8lb device ?.:uglyhamme

M-R-P
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 10:51
Do you Martin have any info on a "technical tap" is that with a 2lb or 8lb device ?.:uglyhamme

The edge of a 24mm spanner usually works for me mate ;)

Harvey
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 10:58
I have seen this back wiper motor thing pop up a number of times,I thing it might be a good idea to have a look at mine,before I do get a problem.

silverhorse
Tuesday 31st December 2013, 13:55
First job I did after getting my car was this. Followed the how to guide on here and was as good as new. My missus used to give me grief for being on here, but when I told her I have just saved us 150 quid or whatever on a new wiper motor, she soon shut up!
Easy job btw. They get so clogged up with crap that you will have to use a bit of controlled force.

crazy badger
Sunday 5th January 2014, 16:32
Need to do this, but I can't seem to find the how to guide on here. Where should I be looking?

Thanks

neil298
Sunday 5th January 2014, 16:58
Finally got around to doing this today and sure enough a pair of pliers did the trick, I was unfortunately too late to save the motor though,I cleaned out all the muck but it seems the plastic flywheel is a little too worn.tried cleaning all the small grooves but it just does not have enough oomph when it gets to one point on the wheel
and it just slips and gets stuck. Oh well I,ll just have to keep an eye out for a replacement(no way am I paying 150 quid for one on flea bay!)

JamesT5
Sunday 5th January 2014, 21:35
My rear wiper keeps freezing in position, I think I've nudged it too hard and I don't know whether it will work now. It seems to stop working then after a few hours it can start ok.

M-R-P
Monday 6th January 2014, 01:22
replace the unit with a second hand one from a pre 2002 car. they seem to be made differently. that's what's in mine and it's fine.