PDA

View Full Version : Auto Dimming Mirror Problem

JamesT5
Friday 27th December 2013, 23:17
Anyone else had their Auto-Dimming Mirror stop dimming? Mine seems to have stopped Dimming so I have to move my head to avoid getting dazzled by the car behind.

I know there is a daylight sensor on the rear of the mirror and two sensor on the mirror side that detect light coming in from behind (i.e. headlights). From what I've read, the mirrors can 'leak' although there is no sign of this and also the sensors can play up on them. I've tried the trick of covering the daylight sensor with my hand to see if it kicks it in to night mode but nothing seems to work. Also, there doesn't seem to be a fuse specifically for the mirror which apparently also houses the Upper Electronic Module (UEM).

I guess it's a fault within the mirror sensors which unfortunately could also mean a big bill to fix it!

Interestingly, the heated door mirror on the passenger side has also stopped working and the heated seat on the passenger side has stopped heating too, I've yet to check the fuses for those however, but it could be a burnt out element or a module like the drivers seat.

I wonder if all of these issues are somehow related and seriously thinking of buying VIDA because it will tell me straight away.

jdavis
Saturday 28th December 2013, 10:32
You haven't bought vida yet? Seriously James with these it's a must buy

M-R-P
Saturday 28th December 2013, 11:45
I doubt the faults are related mate. the side mirrors fail all the time and are about 15 quid from pfv. the seat elements are also not known for their longevity and as for the self dimming mirror, rip it out and fit a standard one from a scrapper (I might have one in the shed)

don't forget to drop that oil before you go spending on expensive toys ;)

Harvey
Sunday 29th December 2013, 00:05
I doubt the faults are related mate. the side mirrors fail all the time and are about 15 quid from pfv. the seat elements are also not known for their longevity and as for the self dimming mirror, rip it out and fit a standard one from a scrapper (I might have one in the shed)

don't forget to drop that oil before you go spending on expensive toys ;)

I know the upper module lives in the mirror & it does a lot more than you think,I think if it's removed the car won't start,srs fault,alarm fault,sunroof if fitted.Just daft

If you are board have a nice long read of this link. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16275

M-R-P
Sunday 29th December 2013, 00:38
I'll get me coat...

LiamT4
Sunday 29th December 2013, 12:34
Mine are dodgy too. They work fine at night, nothing behind me ever dazzles me, but they seem to do naff all in the day.

James, when they leak its obvious as part of the mirror will be normal and the rest will be much darker, bit like an lcd display on a calculator when you squash it lol

JamesT5
Sunday 29th December 2013, 16:39
Mine are dodgy too. They work fine at night, nothing behind me ever dazzles me, but they seem to do naff all in the day.

James, when they leak its obvious as part of the mirror will be normal and the rest will be much darker, bit like an lcd display on a calculator when you squash it lol

Not leaking for sure, I think it's an issue with one of the sensors. Perhaps a reset on VIDA might be needed....

Harvey
Sunday 29th December 2013, 16:51
The light sensor for the dash clocks is in the red LED that's the alarm uses,try putting a cover on it in day light and look at the clocks-radio display.

Marc Lenssen
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 21:15
Mine stopped working when the alarm siren went dead... fuse for the alarm pulled.
Sunroof and mirror didn't function until I replaced the siren...all well again now :-)

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 12:45
This is you being very unlucky again james, they don't go wrong very often but are big £££££

there is a huge list of option part numbers of variations because as above the main other function is the central locking control.

LeeT5
Wednesday 8th January 2014, 22:18
1) Get VIDA

or

2) Go to dealer for accurate diagnosis before you throw, yet more money away.

3) Never second guess a P2.

Harvey is right about the UEM module, it lives in the mirror, hense why they are so expensive. If you out the mirror your car will NOT start, I guarantee it.