PDA

View Full Version : Couple of issues with 2003 V70 D5

massivewangers
Friday 27th December 2013, 14:59
Hi everyone,

Used to be a member on here when I had an 850 T-5, but now I've returned. I've just picked up a 2003 V70 D5 manual for a nice sensible every day car, and unfortunately I've noticed a couple of problems with it (the joys of buying off eBay and not being as thorough as I should of been!).

Firstly, when you accelerate, once it reaches around 3500-4000rpm, it basically just suddenly stops accelerating, like it's cutting boost. There's no smoke, it idles fine, runs fine, drives smoothly below 3500rpm at all throttle angles, and there are no warning lights, but once you go above 3500, it will just stop boosting and go completely flat. Any ideas on what is causing this? I've not driven another D5 to compare performance below 3500rpm, so it's hard to know whether it's right, but it seems very smooth and quiet, with no unexpected behaviour.

In addition, when I got in it earlier and turned the ignition on, the screen said that the alarm system required servicing. Again, everything appears to be working. I couldn't find anything in the manual about what this means.

It's a great car so far otherwise, very refined and drives very well, so I'm hoping they're just small little niggles, but I would appreciate any help on where to start, other than simply servicing it, which is the first thing on my list!

Thanks,

Jon

M-R-P
Friday 27th December 2013, 15:45
welcome back.
the alarm thing is normal on these I'm afraid.

I'd go for a service - all fluids and filters etc.

see if that helps.

massivewangers
Friday 27th December 2013, 15:48
I've just ordered oil, fuel and air filters, as that seems a sensible port of call to start with. I just need to figure what oil I should buy, which there seems to be lots of conflicting opinions about!

cherry1809
Friday 27th December 2013, 15:57
Mines flat around then too. Change up earlier ;)

bongodave
Friday 27th December 2013, 16:00
I've just ordered oil, fuel and air filters, as that seems a sensible port of call to start with. I just need to figure what oil I should buy, which there seems to be lots of conflicting opinions about!

Your not gonna go wrong with semi-synthetic for over 80,000 oir fully stnthetic for under. I am pretty confident you will find concensus there.

Fault sounds like mine, MAF sensor. Any lights staying on dash?

Oil and filters always good start. Air filter well may be chokka-blokked.

massivewangers
Friday 27th December 2013, 16:14
Mines flat around then too. Change up earlier ;)

I have been, but I just noticed when I did push past that point, and it doesn't seem right :(

Your not gonna go wrong with semi-synthetic for over 80,000 oir fully stnthetic for under. I am pretty confident you will find concensus there.

Fault sounds like mine, MAF sensor. Any lights staying on dash?

Oil and filters always good start. Air filter well may be chokka-blokked.

Nope, no warning lights, no EML or anything like that, drives fine otherwise!

bongodave
Friday 27th December 2013, 16:19
I have been, but I just noticed when I did push past that point, and it doesn't seem right :(

Nope, no warning lights, no EML or anything like that, drives fine otherwise!

I would def service engine and change air filter for a K&N panel first. Check another recent thread on here regards filter.

Also take a preliminary look at any pipes you can see around from fron grill intercooler, working past air filter, breather and turbo pipes.

Sounds like something may have come loose and engine needs a night on town with some new clothes.

Harvey
Friday 27th December 2013, 16:29
Hi have a read of this link and see if the is a code logged on the engine module.

http://s60r.fadainc.com/tips/Diagnostics.pdf

850 T5s
Friday 27th December 2013, 17:25
it may be worth blanking the E.G.R ( if it hasn't already been done) to see if that makes any improvements in perfomance

bongodave
Friday 27th December 2013, 17:31
didn't clock diesel.

Before you do anything, change fuel filter, air filter and oli/filter, then see where you are.

Restricted fuel due to cacky/gelled filter due to water ingress or bio-diesel is more common than you think.

24yrs diesel time-served mechanic.

EGR etc and fault codes should be next step.

cherry1809
Friday 27th December 2013, 17:47
Actually I'll watch this with interest, as mines had a fuel filter change but threw up a engine service message and went slower than usual for a mile, then corrected itself. Did it again today in exactly the same place (so might pop down Newton for that offer :) )
If I floor it from the start I get a little chirp from under the bonnet after boost cuts in. EGR blank could be on the cards... It's at 228k anyway and for what I paid for it, I'll run it till it stops or goes bang.

bongodave
Friday 27th December 2013, 17:48
Actually I'll watch this with interest, as mines had a fuel filter change but threw up a engine service message and went slower than usual for a mile, then corrected itself. Did it again today in exactly the same place (so might pop down Newton for that offer :) )
If I floor it from the start I get a little chirp from under the bonnet after boost cuts in. EGR blank could be on the cards... It's at 228k anyway and for what I paid for it, I'll run it till it stops or goes bang.

Not bled properly then eventually corrected itself.

Harvey
Friday 27th December 2013, 17:50

No problem mate just PM when you want to.

bongodave
Friday 27th December 2013, 18:14
Leaving this converstion.