PDA

View Full Version : New code.....any ideas please.

V70 Graham
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:35
Had a new code come up today, PO134

I think this equates to : 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank I Sensor 1)

As most of you know I've had the exhaust replaced (a couple of times) recently, am I right in thinking it could either be wiring or a faulty O2 sensor ?
Could it be the rear sensor even though it's coming up as Bank 1 Sensor 1 ?

Taking into account the above any recommendations where to start ?

jdavis
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:37
you and that blooming exhaust lol

says to me dodgy sensor. Can't remember but did you have a de-cat/race cat fitted?

stribo
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:38
It's likely to be the front one, and what with all the ins and outs it's had recently, it'll either be the harness going up to the connector, or the sensor itself.

V70 Graham
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:42
Thanks guys, I have a spare rear one lol.....M-R-P reckoned the wiring too, suppose I'll start with that then.....

V70 Graham
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:43
you and that blooming exhaust lol

says to me dodgy sensor. Can't remember but did you have a de-cat/race cat fitted?

Had a 200 cel cat fitted, back to stock now though.

Seems to be using a bit more fuel too, drove up to Cambridge today like a girl and only got 30mpg

stribo
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:47
If it's not getting a signal from the lambda (for whatever reason) it'll overfuel and ruin your fuel economy. The front and rear sensors should be the same, other than the length of the wires on them, so the rear one should fit on the front.

V70 Graham
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:50
The front and rear sensors should be the same, other than the length of the wires on them, so the rear one should fit on the front.

Really, I know there are literally loads of sensors for these cars, mind if I only have the shorter wire I'm stuffed anyway.

stribo
Thursday 26th December 2013, 20:59
THe front one has the shorter wire, the rear one the longer, so the rear will fit the front, but I don't think the wire's long enough for the front to fit the rear. I have a front one in my dp you can try if ther rear one is different.

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 17:08
Car still off the road, was in the garage today where a faulty front lambda was diagnosed.....part ordered and changed but code came straight back.

Now they say it's the rear, which I had although it was the wrong one (thanks PFV) part is on order for the middle of next week.

Getting a bit fed up of Volvo at the moment.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 3rd January 2014, 17:25
Hang in there Graham :)

deathrider311271
Friday 3rd January 2014, 17:29
Graham a bit of free advice mate, the front sensor is the one closest to the engine, DO NOT SWAP IT WITH THE BACK ONE, it will screw your fueling up something cronic, mine was wrong when i bought it, sensors had been put in wrong place and i was getting 12mpg average. You cant swap them round as the plugs are different and please use bosche items not NGK/NTK they only lasted approx 12 hours in my car before fault returned.

graemewelch
Friday 3rd January 2014, 17:29
have you checked the fuse.

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 17:32
Did they check the wring/plug that the lambda plugs into, as P0134 is the front sensor, not the rear.

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 18:25
have you checked the fuse.

I'm guessing it's an in-line one, I'll check they have looked at this.

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 18:27
Did they check the wring/plug that the lambda plugs into, as P0134 is the front sensor, not the rear.

They said they did, Anne dropped it off this morning, I'll get her to check tomorrow when she picks it up.

Is there any way the two lambda's are linked/connected so it could be a fault with the rear one ?

deathrider311271
Friday 3rd January 2014, 18:44
They said they did, Anne dropped it off this morning, I'll get her to check tomorrow when she picks it up.

Is there any way the two lambda's are linked/connected so it could be a fault with the rear one ?

the only link is in the ECU mate

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 18:47
Who's doing the car for you?

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:11
Who's doing the car for you?

PWCars at Beaconsfield

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:12
the only link is in the ECU mate

So it can't be the rear sensor.....strange why they think it is.

deathrider311271
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:14
So it can't be the rear sensor.....strange why they think it is.

it did baffle me a bit as too why they changed the rear sensor when they knew it was the front one, especially when the code returned straight away. Are they using Vida Dice for diagnostics or something else?

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:16
it did baffle me a bit as too why they changed the rear sensor when they knew it was the front one, especially when the code returned straight away. Are they using Vida Dice for diagnostics or something else?

They have VIDA/DICE

They did change the front one first but the code came straight back, now they say the rear.

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:32
They have VIDA/DICE

They did change the front one first but the code came straight back, now they say the rear.

Acording to there diagnostic machine, scanner, code reader call it what you like.

It said Bank 1, Sensor 1, (Sensor 1 Front) (Bank 1 Primary cylinders)

Do they understand the difference between Bank 1 and Bank 2, sensor 1 sensor 2? here below have a read

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/EOBD-coding.pdf

Tbh we have never had a issue with NGK sensor's they are Oe to most Premium Brands of vehicle, that's not to say they never fail, but its unsual for the lambda tobe directly at fault.

Hope the link above helps :)

Just to note have you tried to reset the ECU to factory default? perhaps the ecu didn't like the 1st pipe you fitted/items fitted, and is causing the voltage to fluctuate on the primary sensor (just a thought) im not ofay to me7 volvo's

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:39
Acording to there diagnostic machine, scanner, code reader call it what you like.

It said Bank 1, Sensor 1, (Sensor 1 Front) (Bank 1 Primary cylinders)

Do they understand the difference between Bank 1 and Bank 2, sensor 1 sensor 2? here below have a read

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/EOBD-coding.pdf

Tbh we have never had a issue with NGK sensor's they are Oe to most Premium Brands of vehicle, that's not to say they never fail, but its unsual for the lambda tobe directly at fault.

Hope the link above helps :)

Just to note have you tried to reset the ECU to factory default? perhaps the ecu didn't like the 1st pipe you fitted/items fitted, and is causing the voltage to fluctuate on the primary sensor (just a thought) im not ofay to me7 volvo's

Surely clearing the code would be as good as resetting the ECU, also it's a remaped ECU, so not sure Graham would want it reset to factory default.

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:42
Surely clearing the code would be as good as resetting the ECU, also it's a remaped ECU, so not sure Graham would want it reset to factory default.

no clearing the code will not return the car to factory setting, on a pre me7 car you disconnect the battery for 10 mins. (you will not loose the map) on a pre me7 car.

deathrider311271
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:44
on Vida Dice there is a set procedure too reset the codes and this procedure resets all the core values back to factory settings, it will not affect the remap in anyway, however if they havent reset it correctly it will come back straight away

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:50
no clearing the code will not return the car to factory setting, on a pre me7 car you disconnect the battery for 10 mins. (you will not loose the map) on a pre me7 car.

No I didn't think it would reset the car to factory default, just thought if the code for the lambda was reset then no code would appear again unless the lambda was faulty. TBH my money is on the part of the engine loom the lambda connects to as it's been fiddled about with so much recently, there's a chance a wire could be brittle and have broken. Graham's is ME7 .

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:54
Graham's is ME7 .

I relise that which is why I was only refereeing to a pre me7 car didn't know if it was the same, has ive little experience working on me7's Volvo's, I was waiting for someone ie deathrider to explain, which I feel he did.

deathrider311271
Friday 3rd January 2014, 19:58
No I didn't think it would reset the car to factory default, just thought if the code for the lambda was reset then no code would appear again unless the lambda was faulty. TBH my money is on the part of the engine loom the lambda connects to as it's been fiddled about with so much recently, there's a chance a wire could be brittle and have broken. Graham's is ME7 .
you could well be right as i have the same problem on mine, its a bloody pain as i need too lay my hands on a wiring diagram to find out which pin/s in the ecu corespond to which wires on the front lambda. Then i can check for power/continuity.

If i find anything Graham i will give you a shout but it will be a few weeks yet.

Harvey
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:02

I am sure a workshop code reader should give a scope type read out to see if it's getting any type of input from the sensor,from engine off to running and hot.

Harvey
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:06
on Vida Dice there is a set procedure too reset the codes and this procedure resets all the core values back to factory settings, it will not affect the remap in anyway, however if they havent reset it correctly it will come back straight away

VIDA dice will only do a reset if the fault is not present when the reset procedure is carried out,if the fault is present it will not do the reset,and say it failed to reset.

Like you say.

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:08
I am sure a workshop code reader should give a scope type read out to see if it's getting any type of input from the sensor,from engine off to running and hot.

When I had my Cougar, I had a Snap on Solus hooked up to it to find out which lambda was faulty, and it gave live readings of voltage from each lambda (well only one lambda as the other was dead and giving nothing) does VIDA/DICE not do the same thing?

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:10
I relise that which is why I was only refereeing to a pre me7 car didn't know if it was the same, has ive little experience working on me7's Volvo's, I was waiting for someone ie deathrider to explain, which I feel he did.

Sorry mate wasn't having a go, just telling it as I saw it/ my train of thought went, I don't really know either. We'll just call it brainstorming. ;)

Harvey
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:12
When I had my Cougar, I had a Snap on Solus hooked up to it to find out which lambda was faulty, and it gave live readings of voltage from each lambda (well only one lambda as the other was dead and giving nothing) does VIDA/DICE not do the same thing?

I think so never seen it used for this.

oblark
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:26
He who should not be named had a the same fault on he`s V70R.

Once resetting it would stay off of a while then come back on, It was found to be a knackered cat.

Is Graham`s new cat a Volvo one or a aftermarket one ??

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:27
you could well be right as i have the same problem on mine, its a bloody pain as i need too lay my hands on a wiring diagram to find out which pin/s in the ecu corespond to which wires on the front lambda. Then i can check for power/continuity.

If i find anything Graham i will give you a shout but it will be a few weeks yet.

Page 16

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28783687/volvo-c70-s70-v70

Dunno if this is what your after bud

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:40

Once resetting it would stay off of a while then come back on, It was found to be a knackered cat.

As it's Graham, I'm guessing it's a Volvo one. ;)

Harvey
Friday 3rd January 2014, 20:44
Page 16

Thanks this is going to be a good read.

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:11

Aftermarket.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:14
Page 16

Its M4.3/M4.4 and Fenix5.2 unfortunately bud.

Anyway, ecu is on page 17 and O2 sensors are items 7/15 and 7/82

oblark
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:16
Aftermarket.

There`s be your problem.

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:16
Its M4.3/M4.4 and Fenix5.2 unfortunately bud.

Anyway, ecu is on page 17 and O2 sensors are items 7/15 and 7/82

soz buddy, didn't know if me7 was one of the above ,:(

Dangerous Dave
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:21
soz buddy, didn't know if me7 was one of the above ,:(
Its ok dude, it doesnt't state which one in the title, good info nonetheless.

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:26
There`s be your problem.

And why's that Rob ?

oblark
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:32
And why's that Rob ?

Aftermarket cats are not made to the same standard as Volvo cats

Aftermarket ones have "coated" plates instead of honey cone blocks like volvo ones so more harmful gases get through the aftermarket ones and set off a fault caode.

I would keep a look out for a good condition second hand volvo down pipe.

merc85
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:37

Aftermarket ones have "coated" plates instead of honey cone blocks like volvo ones so more harmful gases get through the aftermarket ones and set off a fault caode.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S70-BREAKING-2-3-TURBO-T5-240BHP-PETROL-2000-W-REG-157500-MILES-/281231314198?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item417ab14d16

V70 Graham
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:41

I appreciate they are not made the same but the code is :

02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank I Sensor 1)

This leads me to believe that there is no electrical activity, surely if it were too rich or too lean it would throw a different code.

After speaking to Anne this is something we are not going to spend a lot of time or money on, I will be telling the garage to check the wiring/plug/fuse and for any leaks in the system, and see what they come up with by the middle of the week.

stribo
Friday 3rd January 2014, 21:55
There`s be your problem.

I appreciate they are not made the same but the code is :

02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank I Sensor 1)

This leads me to believe that there is no electrical activity, surely if it were too rich or too lean it would throw a different code.

After speaking to Anne this is something we are not going to spend a lot of time or money on, I will be telling the garage to check the wiring/plug/fuse and for any leaks in the system, and see what they come up with by the middle of the week.

As Graham says from the fault code, it wouldn't matter if there was no cat fitted, if lambda 1 is throwing a no activity fault then it's either the lambda itself (which has been changed) or the wiring to the sensor, which is what my money's on.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 10:23
Just had a call from the garage, it's ready :redface:

Turns out it was the rear sensor, it was the preheating circuits shorting to the other (front) sensor causing the code.

Hopefully by 1830 I'll have her back.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 10:26
Just had a call from the garage, it's ready :redface:

Turns out it was the rear sensor, it was the preheating circuits shorting to the other (front) sensor causing the code.

Hopefully by 1830 I'll have her back.

:funkybana:funkybana:funkybana:funkybana:funkybana :funkybana:funkybana:funkybana:funkybana:funkybana

deathrider311271
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 10:33
nice one Graham pleased you got yours sorted mate

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 10:41
nice one Graham pleased you got yours sorted mate

You know me Simon, I'll be happy when I have it back and have checked the code doesn't return, but it's looking good.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 14:52
I know this is going to sound silly, but seeing as they also said the oe part I sent for the rear was wrong they aren't looking at the rear sensor instead of the front are they?
because it is so high up close to the engine plenty of people have looked at the rear one, and thought it was the front.

the sensors are not the same for front and rear. might be same size, but normally the plugs are different on purpose .

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 15:06
I shall know more when I have spoken to them later.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 15:42
Good news.

the difference between cats discussed above sounds like comparing metal cats, to a ceramic one to me. they are different articles. the ceramic is best for efficiency, and in fact most metal cats cant gain type approval as legally required for 2000 onwards parts.

960kg
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 16:37
If your error code still comes back Graham don`t despair because our ECU`s are adaptive it has to learn a new part has been fitted especially an important part such as the O2 sensor and the ECU will extinguish the code or light when about 6 cold starts has been attained or it has learned.

If one forgets to erase the error code when the new part is fitted the ECU will use the adaptions it has learned from the old for the new part! .......so the code won`t go until it has learned.

Best thing to do is just use it then check for the code in a weeks time of course if it`s gone all well and good.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 18:17
Well just back from the garage, car seems ok, no engine light or any codes.

When I used the car last over Christmas going up to Anne's sister in Cambs I was averaging only 30 mpg on the motorway (60-70mph) tonight on the way back on the M40 at the same speed the economy has gone back up to 39mpg so all good there.

Hopefully this has cured the problem, saying that it must have been a bloomin gold plated sensor the price of it lol, the garage were good though, no diagnostic charge just an hours labour for all the messing about they had to do, and that included a loan car.

AndysR
Tuesday 7th January 2014, 22:04
Wow, only just caught this thread, although not sure how I missed it. Glad to hear it's all sorted though :)