PDA

View Full Version : converting 850 to rwd

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:06
if i wanted to turn my shed in to a rwd what what would be needed, what gear box would i need. custom mounts and all the stuff arnt a issue. would i need a box off a older volvo like a 740 or sumit. just a idea at the minute. the plan would be to turn the engine around

960kg
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:32
If Manual an M90 from the 960..........similar whiteblock

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:42
will 100% be manual. not a fan of autos.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:43
An awd would be a start as the rear diff is already there (and they have auto diff lock too), then all you have to do is fit an engine and box and fabricate a propshaft.

Problem is you would proably need to modify the bulkhead/tunnel to get a inline engine/gearbox to fit, remove some interior (possibly the heater) as some will probably be in the way of the tunnel modification, as well as the fixed gear lever on the M90 will need a hole cut and fitting.

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:53
An awd would be a start as the rear diff is already there (and they have auto diff lock too), then all you have to do is fit an engine and box and fabricate a propshaft.

Problem is you would proably need to modify the bulkhead/tunnel to get a inline engine/gearbox to fit, remove some interior (possibly the heater) as some will probably be in the way of the tunnel modification, as well as the fixed gear lever on the M90 will need a hole cut and fitting.

i know theyll be loads of fabriaction involved but i plan to strip the inside anyway. its only a thought at the minute. just thought it would be something different.

arnt the awd very week. engine is going to be turned around anyway. probobly end up with some kind of custon set up on the rear

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:58
The rear diff is off a late 900 series so should be solid enough. The weak bit on the AWD is the angle gear and connecting sleeve, which will be replaced by the inline engine anyway.

artfulflounder
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapL9fG9I5M