PDA

View Full Version : Offside drive shaft

Wesley Pegdon
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:04
I'am posting this for my son's girlfriend I told her you lot would probably know the answer,she has a problem with the front diff on her 850 awd P reg,but the main problem at the moment is the guy trying to sort it cannot pull the offside driveshaft out ,he has had a ten ton puller on it overnight and it will not budge.Anyone on here had a simular problem if so how did you manage
to get the shaft out. Any advice gratefully received .

Harvey
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:08
Do you mean the drive shaft from the wheel hub end or the gear box end ?.

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 11:32
if its in the hub use some heat. be patient but even a butane torch will do it. hit the hub with mallet and not the shaft. eventually the shaft will break free.

Wesley Pegdon
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:10
It's the hub end ,tried some heat with a puller I will tell her to get them to try again.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:17
I put a hole the size of a 50p in the side of my gearbox once when I blew the diff on my 850. If my memory is correct I also couldn't get the driveshaft out without grinding a big hole in the side of the gearbox. And grind around the diff to release the shaft.

Once it was out I was able to carefully release the shaft for reuse, I had a spare just incase I needed to swappit over so it didn't matter..

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:18
If it's the hub side... A big hammer worked for me..

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:35
It's the hub end ,tried some heat with a puller I will tell her to get them to try again.

more heat. get some heat in the end of the shaft wear it pokes through the hub. if using propane itll take a while to get it hot enough to free it but itll will work.

Wesley Pegdon
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:49
Thanks graemewelch I have just told her to get them to try again with more heat and a mallet.

graemewelch
Thursday 26th December 2013, 12:54
wont do anyharm to keep the puller on to and get it as hot as you can and hit the hub with somthing heavy. aomething around 8lb plus. using a toffe hammer wont dont anything.

Wesley Pegdon
Thursday 26th December 2013, 15:13
I'll pass it on ,thanks. She came to ours for lunch today with my son , told me she has got 5 Volvo's I thought it was 4,she loved this forum.