PDA

View Full Version : Bass Filters / Volvo Speakers

MattB
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 13:21
I want to install some filters to remove the bass signal from the volvo speakers, allowing me to give my sub more without blowing the others.

I understand that I need bass filters / cross-overs? How many do I need? One for each channel (ie front left, rear left, rear right, front right) or just one for left hand side and one for right speakers?

:confused:

essfortee
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 16:11
Depending on what frequencies you want to roll the speakers off at (probably ^80hz) you will need to fit a capacitor on the positive lug (in series) with the positive cable....this will filter out any unwanted bass frequencies going into the speaker!

Ive a list somewhere of what cap pertains to what frequency (or you could 'google' for a chart!)

MattB
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 18:32
Cheers - think I'll have a 'google'.

Also reckon on just allowing 'mid' and 'tweet' frequencies through to the said volvo speakers., allowing only the sub to provide the bass???

essfortee
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 21:10
If your using the standard Volvo speakers then the tweeter allready has a cap attached to it, so you only need to do this on the midrange drivers.

When adding the subwoofer and amp (if you havent already got an amp try and get one with a low pass filter built in and set that to 80hz too which is a nice frequency to roll off at) doing it this way everything will compliment each other......you could roll off the sub lower but if if you did that you'd need to drop the frequency of the mids to compensate (the lower you roll off the mids the more bass passes through them, somewhat defeating the object)

MattB
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 23:17
If your using the standard Volvo speakers then the tweeter allready has a cap attached to it, so you only need to do this on the midrange drivers.

When adding the subwoofer and amp (if you havent already got an amp try and get one with a low pass filter built in and set that to 80hz too which is a nice frequency to roll off at) doing it this way everything will compliment each other......you could roll off the sub lower but if if you did that you'd need to drop the frequency of the mids to compensate (the lower you roll off the mids the more bass passes through them, somewhat defeating the object)

Cool - I already have a sub - switched to Low Pass @ 80hz.
I guess the next stage is to remove the bass frequency from the front and rear door speakers.

capaciotrs - High Pass would be Tweeters - Mid Pass would be Mids??
guess I need 4 x mid capicitors??

MattB
Sunday 6th November 2005, 12:10
More than likely gonna get a set of these - just waiting to hear back from seller - re shipping costs etc...

eBay Bass Blockers LINK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5826130199&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)