PDA

View Full Version : Heater chilly

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 15:23
Hi,

Heater seemed ok on drive back from Colchester but doesn't seem to get up to temp now.

Thinking may be air-lock in matrix so can anyone tell me if there's a bleed valve anywhere pls?

mikealder
Saturday 21st December 2013, 15:28
Did the temp gauge also drop slightly when at speed? - If so the thermostat has failed stuck open, change it, there is no bleed point on the heater matrix coolant circuit - Mike

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 15:36
I'll check the temp gauge, thanks. Only clocked it yesterday when engine was running parked up, but at temp. Know the water pump and belts were changed recently but unsure about stat.

Pipes going to matrix are both toasty too so wondering if issue in cab.

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 17:17
Sorry, I should add that the blower is working and car gets up to temp, and holds it, fine. Just no heat from any vents.

mikealder
Saturday 21st December 2013, 17:28
What car is it a 97 V70 and does it have manual climatic or full climatic control? - Mike

smithy
Saturday 21st December 2013, 17:37
Hi,

Heater seemed ok on drive back from Colchester but doesn't seem to get up to temp now.

Thinking may be air-lock in matrix so can anyone tell me if there's a bleed valve anywhere pls?

Thermostate

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 17:44
Is it likely to be thermostat when it gets up to and maintains temp properly? Also, the pipes going to matrix are red-hot so the heat is there, just not being transferred.

It's a Volvo V70r 1998 manual and if 'AUTO' function on dials means climate control, then yes. lol.

I'm still struggling with fact it doesn't appear to have flaps! lol

There's talk of heat control valve/motor, but no idea where, or what it is.

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 20:56
Nobody knows?

Kingsford G
Saturday 21st December 2013, 21:52
The stat is new.I`d try a new matrix,easy replacement.I was thinking it was an air lock but the only thing to blame is the matrix and I did tell you it blows war once revved up,you could actually hear the coolant flowing so if not air must be a restricted flow.

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 22:11
[QUOTE=Kingsford G;672024]The stat is new.I`d try a new matrix,easy replacement.I was thinking it was an air lock but the only thing to blame is the matrix and I did tell you it blows war once revved up,you could actually hear the coolant flowing so if not air must be a restricted flow.[/QUOT

Cheers Kingsford. Matrix would make sense as opposed to the heat control valve thing if it's warming when revved.

I'll price one up and bosh it in. May have a go at back-flushing it first.

Kingsford G
Saturday 21st December 2013, 22:26
Nice signature mate,looks cleaner than at the time of pick up lol

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 22:38
Nice signature mate,looks cleaner than at the time of pick up lol

You don't recognise the units behind it then? lol.

All I've done so far is change the brake bulb, gear knob and nice leather gaitors! lol

Gotta check the handbrake, change plugs and LPG filter then hopefully done. Nice to have a car I aint gotta do a shed-load to.

Kingsford G
Saturday 21st December 2013, 22:47
You don't recognise the units behind it then? lol.

All I've done so far is change the brake bulb, gear knob and nice leather gaitors! lol

Gotta check the handbrake, change plugs and LPG filter then hopefully done. Nice to have a car I aint gotta do a shed-load to.

Lol,I had to sell here to appreciate I suppose.Can you see Marks saffy S70R at the far end?

bongodave
Saturday 21st December 2013, 22:50
Lol,I had to sell here to appreciate I suppose.Can you see Marks saffy S70R at the far end?

Gold one? Looks tidy! lol