PDA

View Full Version : Introduction of ETM

thomo2cav
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 10:25
Hello to all,
I'm looking at buying either an S70T5 or 850R.
I've been researching these cars and find the ETM problem a big one.
Is is correct that an 97/early 98 model S70 still used the cable throttle?
And that all 850's had cable?

This problem seems large enough to make me avoid it at all costs.
The only real problem i see with the 850's is the A/C condensor and ABS unit.
I'm trying to pick the best model between the two.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Al115
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 10:34
The ME7 ECU and ETM came in at the same time, during 1999. So all pre-99 '70s and 850s had cable throttle, all post-99 '70s had the ETM, and the 99 ones are a bit hit and miss in that regard!

Al115
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 10:35
That said, if you pick a "good" car, the ME7 ECU does have a fair amount to offer over the older variants... better economy and potential for more power. The ETM can be expensive to repair, of course, as you correctly point out.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 10:42
First of :welcome:
The ME7 engine - namely 99 onwards has the ETM and yes the failure rate is a risk. The price of replacements has come down. The ME7 is a better engine - offering stronger internals and the variable valve timing.
The 850s are super cars and you can get early versions of the 70 series which still have the older engine with the manual throttle cable. I dont think the ETM should put you off. I would go out and try both first. The big advantage with the ETM is the smoothness of the power delivery.

Don't worry about the ABS units - I offer a highly successful repair service...
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

I hope you find what you are looking for. The older engines sound more edgy, gutteral and raw, but when it comes to tuning and power the ME7 will do better, IMHO.
As I said try both and see what you think.

Enjoy the forum. :wavey:

volvotuning
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 11:18
ETM cars were available from late 1998.

Adam.

Al115
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 11:25
Thanks for the correction Adam... was there some inconsistent introduction, as I'm sure I've seen 1999 '70s without ME7, or am I just wrong? :)

volvotuning
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 11:29
Hi Alastair,

I've never seen one, but maybe they were late registered or something. Certainly the S80 came out in late 1998 with ETM and CAN bus, and the C70 late 1998 also had an ETM. Having said that, all the late 1998 models have a 1999 designation and are therefore classed as 1999 models.

Adam.

Martinr
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 13:15
"The only real problem i see with the 850's is the A/C condensor"

The problem with the condensor is usually that as it is in such a vulnerable position it can be prone to damage by stones etc. Also I have heard of leaks from seals where the pipes enter/leave. This is a relatively simple fix.

The major problem with the 850 A/C is the evaporator. If this goes it is expensive as the whole dashboard has to come out to get at it.

As with most things regular service of the A/C should see it be reliable.

To help preserve my evaporator I have just fitted a cabin filter (pollen filter). Part number for holder is 9488526 (£18.91) filter is 9171296 (£25.61) or you can get a copy part from GSF V12306 £13. This stops the debris ingress which is a major player in evaporator problems.

thomo2cav
Wednesday 2nd November 2005, 12:15
Thanks guys for that info.
I didnt realise that the ETM engines where an uprated engine.
What are the basic changes? I'm guessing the major differance, referance "smoother engine" is in the ecm?
It is something that i will look into, although i am planning to do exshaust/chip/intake to any car i get, so that may remove any improved smoothness due to ecm.
Athough stronger, better designed internals are not to be over looked.
Cheers.

Al115
Wednesday 2nd November 2005, 12:19
i am planning to do exshaust/chip/intake to any car i get, so that may remove any improved smoothness due to ecm

It won't if it's done well! :)

thomo2cav
Wednesday 2nd November 2005, 12:20
Yes, sorry Martianr, i meant the condensor.
You'd think i would have got that right, having been a diesal mechanic for 12 years and having done my fair share of A/C work.
Thanks for those numbers, and that'll be something that i'll be looking at when i finally get one in a couple of mths.