PDA

View Full Version : Quandary on oil return seal - Failed

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:40
I have the curse of Exxon Valdez again. It was leaking before the rolling road session but I need to come up with a better fix...

Just wondered what other people had done in fitting a custom turbo or do I plumb for dropping the car off some where and getting a new one made up...

Any advice..??

oblark
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:44
You left your calling card over the dyno floor :)

Jamest5r
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:45
I used Smithy lol he mocked it up from my old one then took it next door to a friendly engineering shop and they silver welded it....never leaked not even thought about it till this post :)

graemewelch
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:47
to late not but i would of tapped the hole and put a hosetail in.

V70 Graham
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:55
You left your calling card over the dyno floor :)

Again ? He did that last Feb as well.....in a different car lol

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 18:56
Rob - used about 4litres of oil since then. That's its oil change done for this year..!! Just need to swap the filter.

Thanks... Hose tail... Now there's an Idea, but it would be difficult with the engine in.

I think the pipe is only about 5mm too short. I wondered if I could add a metal washer under the lower knuckle to hold the o-ring in place..

oblark
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:00
Drill & tap a hole in the sump for the hosetail, that way you could remove the sump to do the work :)

graemewelch
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:01
if youve got a spare sump send it to me and ill weld sumit in there for you

claymore
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:25
I use the bottom bit of pipe off the original return pipe, top part is a garrett part, joined together with proper rubber oil pipe, but I have one of them copper corrugated pluming pipe inside to give me the desired shape.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:46
Thanks again

Do you have a photo of the corrugated pipe?

claymore
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:03
I haven't got a picture, but I cut one of these to fit inside the rubber pipe:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corrugated-Copper-Riser-Wide-Spread-/321051021314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac021d002

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:24
Thanks...ah that could be the ticket.

Lesson 101 - does the oil return pipe on yours hold itself in position? Or are we talking about such a short piece that it doesn't matter??

claymore
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:30
My oil return pipe is about the same size as the volvo one , just a different shape, I don't have any brackets holding it, it's just a nice tight fit, make sure you aneel the pipe to get it nice and bendy whilst your messing about with it.

smithy
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:57
I have the curse of Exxon Valdez again. It was leaking before the rolling road session but I need to come up with a better fix...

Just wondered what other people had done in fitting a custom turbo or do I plumb for dropping the car off some where and getting a new one made up...

Any advice..??

Yes it never leaked in the other car lol

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 21:00
Mine must be special, cos it won't seal on mine..

Jamest5r
Friday 20th December 2013, 21:15
Mine must be special, cos it won't seal on mine..

Yep special needs....not surprising the way you treat it lol