PDA

View Full Version : Weird brakes!

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:16
Hand brake not too clever on my '98 V70r despite adjustment, so checked rear discs and pads which need doing.

After scouting ebay they seem to be selling something weird, ie, rear discs,pads and rear shoes!?!

What's all that about then? Have Volvo got seperate on-board drums for Handbrake?

craigoodwood
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:27
yep thats right, pads for foot brake and shoes for the handbrake the drum is part of the disc ;)

V70 Graham
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:28
Hand brake not too clever on my '98 V70r despite adjustment, so checked rear discs and pads which need doing.

After scouting ebay they seem to be selling something weird, ie, rear discs,pads and rear shoes!?!

What's all that about then? Have Volvo got seperate on-board drums for Handbrake?

Yup.

merc85
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:29
Rear shoes sit inside the rear disc, theres a inspection hole put this to 11 o clock, put a flat blade screwdriver screw driver through the disc and flick the the adjuster cogg so you can slackin the shoes and pull the disc off. The linings of the shoe may well drop off.

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:29
Stupid Volvo over-engineering costing bomb! lol. What's wrong with windy-pistons for chrissake?!

So the shoes are inside disc hub?

merc85
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:30
inside the disc

M-R-P
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:42
Stupid Volvo over-engineering costing bomb! lol. What's wrong with windy-pistons for chrissake?!

So the shoes are inside disc hub?

Stop moanin' ;)

Just be glad you didn't get a P2!

You are aware that the handbrake on the V70 is turd aren't you?

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 16:51
Stop moanin' ;)

Just be glad you didn't get a P2!

You are aware that the handbrake on the V70 is turd aren't you?

lol Turd cos they try and be clever, deviating from windy-piston design? Bloody pads, shoes and discs gonna cost £135!!! Last time rear brakes done cost £35! And they fekkin work!

£135 and fekkin about in cold on side road for them to still be s.h.i.t?!!!! Goddammit!

merc85
Friday 20th December 2013, 17:04
lol Turd cos they try and be clever, deviating from windy-piston design? Bloody pads, shoes and discs gonna cost £135!!! Last time rear brakes done cost £35! And they fekkin work!

£135 and fekkin about in cold on side road for them to still be s.h.i.t?!!!! Goddammit!

Providing these are sold rear disc, and dependent on reg number i could supply Disc's, Pads, Shoes for under a £100 inc vat and delivery.

Pm me your Reg number to confirm fitment and price if you would like me to.

;)

M-R-P
Friday 20th December 2013, 17:12
I'll be going with XC90 rear brakes soon to match the fronts :)

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 17:51
Providing these are sold rear disc, and dependent on reg number i could supply Disc's, Pads, Shoes for under a £100 inc vat and delivery.

Pm me your Reg number to confirm fitment and price if you would like me to.

;)

Thanks mate. Just read this after an ebay mission and found these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S70-V70-XC70-AWD-REAR-MEYLE-PLATINUM-SOLID-BRAKE-DISC-DISCS-MINTEX-PAD-PADS-SET-/151086627661?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A1998%7CCar+Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3 AV70&hash=item232d76fb4d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290939110717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400588382799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They got brembo drilled for 70 quid which would do if doing front.

If you reckon you could get above, with Mintex pads, for under £65 I'd be interested.

Biff
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:12
Wait till you need calipers.
Your not messing with your jap crap now pal, reason volvo's are over engineered.
How many fto's still chugging with +300k?

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:19
Wait till you need calipers.
Your not messing with your jap crap now pal, reason volvo's are over engineered.
How many fto's still chugging with +300k?

I'm sure there's a few, and the handbrakes work! lol

Seen the price of calipers are over a ton. Considering there's less in em I have no idea why!

Gotta say, all the little jobs I've done so far have been fun. You should try a cam-belt on a V6 24v FTO. Took weeks!

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 19:51
Handbrakes are fine... My looning about in my 850 is proof that they are fine. Plus they last for years ...

Mr Bongo... You do realise that once you've got them sorted you can adjust the handbrake without even getting out of the car..

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:03
Handbrakes are fine... My looning about in my 850 is proof that they are fine. Plus they last for years ...

Mr Bongo... You do realise that once you've got them sorted you can adjust the handbrake without even getting out of the car..

Yes, I tried that first.

You can adust the handbrake inside most cars......without stoopid torx! :uglyhamme

stribo
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:06
I'll be going with XC90 rear brakes soon to match the fronts :)

But you've got a lot of weight to stop.;)

Kingsford G
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:12
The disks and pads are fine,just look at the shoes and make sure the shoe splitter that is attached to the handbrake cable is moving ok,if not free it off etc.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:14
Yes, I tried that first.

You can adust the handbrake inside most cars......without stoopid torx! :uglyhamme

You need to fix them first, before pissing about with the Torx bit.. If you didn't know about the fact it had shoes you have a big learning curve..:uglyhamme

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:28
You need to fix them first, before pissing about with the Torx bit.. If you didn't know about the fact it had shoes you have a big learning curve..:uglyhamme

Prey tell how many cars other than volvo have discs and shoes? Adjusting hanbrake is simplest, hence first thing to do.

You have a big humility curve! :duck:

theflyingbrick
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:37
Prey tell how many cars other than volvo have discs and shoes? Adjusting hanbrake is simplest, hence first thing to do.

bmw e30 for one!!

claymore
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:38

Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, there's three off the top of my head.

Biff
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:50
Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, there's three off the top of my head.

Vauxhall Renault Saab.

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:53
Vauxhall Renault Saab.

Well none of the ones I have worked on lol. Still struggling to see the advantage, other than pistons don't need re-setting and winding-in.

Looking forward to working on it anyway. Always like to learn.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 20:55

....all cars are equal, just some are more equal than others...

stribo
Friday 20th December 2013, 21:22
Later Sierras had the same too.

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 21:38
Later Sierras had the same too.

Blimey, lol, my point was it is not the common way for a handbrake to operate. Still not sure why they do it either.

claymore
Friday 20th December 2013, 21:41
Brake shoes are much more efficient for a hand brake, much more contact area.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 20th December 2013, 22:04
Also easier to engineer, as a cars brakes cool the drum clamps tighter.. Discs need a compensating system I ensure they work. Didn't a load of ££££reons have a recall for this?

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 22:10
Presumably, you have leading and trailing shoes, as in old drums, meaning the brake is not effective in reverse?

Guess this is ok as car is not brought to a halt on the hand-brake though.

As said earlier, I look forward to having a good look if whether stays reasonable.

stribo
Friday 20th December 2013, 22:16
Also easier to engineer, as a cars brakes cool the drum clamps tighter.. Discs need a compensating system I ensure they work. Didn't a load of ££££reons have a recall for this?

Exactly that mate, I could park up in my Cougar, put the handbrake on, car wouldn't move, I always put it in gear anyway, come out the next morning, put my foot on the clutch and the car starts rolling. Now if I didn't both putting my car in gear, it could have rolled into someone else's car, house, child. Over engineered not really BongoDave, just done properly. ;)

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 22:27
There was something wrong with your Cougar, I suspect. Had several cars with standard discs and wind-lock pistons that were fine. I can comment more when I strip this set-up which is something I look forward to.

So far, working on volvo has impressed me greatly.

stribo
Friday 20th December 2013, 22:55
There was something wrong with your Cougar, I suspect. Had several cars with standard discs and wind-lock pistons that were fine. I can comment more when I strip this set-up which is something I look forward to.

So far, working on volvo has impressed me greatly.

There was nothing wrong with the Cougar, it's basic thermodynamics, as the discs and pads cooled they contracted, so there was less pressure on the discs from the pads, and the friction coefficient dropped, so in laymen's terms the pads didn't grip the discs hard enough to hold the car.

bongodave
Friday 20th December 2013, 23:02
There was nothing wrong with the Cougar, it's basic thermodynamics, as the discs and pads cooled they contracted, so there was less pressure on the discs from the pads, and the friction coefficient dropped, so in laymen's terms the pads didn't grip the discs hard enough to hold the car.

Interesting stuff.

Would that still apply despite fact that rear brakes only do 30% of work and the pads are designed to operate at ultra high temps?

I'm familiar with basic thermodynamics havin fit a good few ring-gears and removed many stubborn components.

There is also a great deal of dissipation with the heat being transferred to disc and fuid (hence brake-fade) as I'm sure you're aware. I'm unsure if pads, designed for heat between 600-1000 degrees, would expand/contract to extent of causing handbrake failure through contraction.

Esp on rear when pistons lock-out. This would cause drag every time the brakes were used, surely? I still can't understand why many of my previous cars have not suffered this either.

Interesting topic, and thanks for making me think. Would be good to explore this further.