PDA

View Full Version : 98 C70 Error codes

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:15
Hi peeps looking for some wisdom from the gurus here.

recently fitted a new 19t over the standard 16t... for a whole day it was fine.

then i find the upper pcv pipe to the top of the valve had shrank, so i added a piece in an fixed it then cleaned my air filter.
after starting the car to warm up it was still fine for 10 mins then cut out.
i went and fired it back up and it was running mega rich and struggling to idle.
after unplugging the maf it was ok.
so i did a scan and got;
p0102 maf circuit low input
p0171 system too lean b1
p0505 idle control valve
p0243 wastegate solenoid A

so this morning i fiited new maf.
care starts idles fine maybe a little high sat at 1100rpm
however if i put my foot down it leans off specially with boost.

now i get codes
p0171 and p0505 only.

im confused as it should be ok now

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:18
Same as mine, hardly any power when you need it po 171 pain in the arse code

stribo
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:21
Have you checked all the vac pipes Brett.?

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:22
Same as mine, hardly any power when you need it po 171 pain in the arse code
yea as i said yesterday... cant find the thread now but thought we have the same issue.
ive cleared it maybe 10 times now.... have u had any luck with yours?

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:23
Have you checked all the vac pipes Brett.?

yeah double checked the lot

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:27
yea as i said yesterday... cant find the thread now but thought we have the same issue.
ive cleared it maybe 10 times now.... have u had any luck with yours?

Not yet mate, gonna try yet another maf then lambda

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 13:33
Not yet mate, gonna try yet another maf then lambda

i put a brand new maf on mine.... and the lambda seems fine.

i dont have a second lambda as i chopped it out with the cat... buts its been fine for over a year like that

picklin me, i just want to get that 19t spinning

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 14:15
i put a brand new maf on mine.... and the lambda seems fine.

i dont have a second lambda as i chopped it out with the cat... buts its been fine for over a year like that

picklin me, i just want to get that 19t spinning

Is your New MAF a VOLVO NEW MAF??

I have just put up the pics. instead of all the gossip i did on Frankies thread!!

Sometimes owners get away with a copy MAF but not always!

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 14:26
so your saying you think its the cheap maf?

ive just cleared codes and gone for a spin... still getting po171 and no real power.
trying to upload a vid... but its taking too long

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 14:58
foot to the floor... (not on public roads)

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/Brett_Lawley/th_20131213_135401.jpg (http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/Brett_Lawley/20131213_135401.mp4)

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 15:01
so your saying you think its the cheap maf?

ive just cleared codes and gone for a spin... still getting po171 and no real power.
trying to upload a vid... but its taking too long

I am not a Guru by any chance of the imagination .......i just work on logic or facts!

I have seen countless threads on this code and they all end up with a new Volvo MAF problem solved.

I don`t blame most owners for not buying genuine as some parts are expensive...but if you cherish your motor and the bhp it gives with such enjoyment, then why not give the motor what it is suffering from!

Cars have been my hobby all my life so far and when it comes to a part gone tits up i give it the best....pay once ...fit once...fit Volvo...whatever and forget.

Yes, i know expensive, but even more expensive to buy a copy and it doesn`t work.

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 15:04
What new MAF have you fitted and how much?

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 15:11
What new MAF have you fitted and how much?

was a copy unit from gsf.... £60

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 15:32
was a copy unit from gsf.... £60

Soooooooo...it`s over to you!

Having spent only £60... what do you think??

If it were me i would try to get a refund and put that money towards the Volvo MAF........having said that have you checked with a meter the ohm`s for the MAF as in the pics. and also what do you think of the others things in the list?

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 15:40
I always seem to get into rows with owners because i speak as i see it.

Owners will spend hundreds on an exhaust system or RIP pipe but nothing on the MAF which is really where it all starts from, measuring the air volume.

Your only as strong as your weakness link!........some buy cheap O2 sensors and get away without a light up but how much have they exactly got away with?...could you have more performance or more mpg with the proper Volvo sensor?

The same with plugs, owners buy Bosch or NGK... that is ok if tuned to more than 75bhp over stock but in reality it is the Volvo plug that gives the best.

I have been there and learnt whatever and only try to save others the trap of aftermarket parts, they clap there hands when you pay, ok ,so Volvo may be more expensive but at least you have the support of the dealership to fall back on, but with there parts you should not ever need it.

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 16:25
I always seem to get into rows with owners because i speak as i see it.

Owners will spend hundreds on an exhaust system or RIP pipe but nothing on the MAF which is really where it all starts from, measuring the air volume.

Your only as strong as your weakness link!........some buy cheap O2 sensors and get away without a light up but how much have they exactly got away with?...could you have more performance or more mpg with the proper Volvo sensor?

The same with plugs, owners buy Bosch or NGK... that is ok if tuned to more than 75bhp over stock but in reality it is the Volvo plug that gives the best.

I have been there and learnt whatever and only try to save others the trap of aftermarket parts, they clap there hands when you pay, ok ,so Volvo may be more expensive but at least you have the support of the dealership to fall back on, but with there parts you should not ever need it.

aint volvo plugs bosch then?

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 16:59
I'm gunna have to waiting until monday afternoon for a Bosch one :(

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 17:04
I'm gunna have to waiting until monday afternoon for a Bosch one :(

what price did you gat a bosch one for?

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 18:33
aint volvo plugs bosch then?

Yes, NGK used to make the Volvo plugs but now it is Bosch and they even have the Bosch emblem pressed into the shiny metal collar BUT the Volvo specified plug cannot be sold as a Bosch plug because of copyright...it is illegal to do so......so ok, you buy a Bosch plug for your Volvo but it is not to the exact heatrange or specification given by Volvo so therefore it is the nearest and not the recommended sparking plug.

This is an ongoing saga on these forums but the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Yes, a Bosch plug or NGK will work ok , but give them 8000mls and a misfire will happen at 4 to 45000revs on WOT and it will be 100% the plugs....they fail under pressure at those revs.

So seeing as Volvo plugs are comparable in price now why not fit the proper plug for the motor in the first place....otherwise what happens is when you get a misfire the owner will think he has new plugs so it cannot be that so he spends and spends on other parts for it only to be his not recommended plug........if you chuck out 75 or more bhp from standard then that is another matter as one should go one different from the specified heat range!

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 18:34
what price did you gat a bosch one for?

gsf £130

i went to my local volvo stealers.... only £238 + Vat :/

V70 Graham
Friday 13th December 2013, 18:52
My genuine MAF has been in 2 years no problems, the genuine plugs almost a year, I can see the sense in buying Volvo parts.....you save in the long run.

Rudeyboy18
Friday 13th December 2013, 19:02
What are the other dials you have ?? I know the boost in the middle, butwhat are the left and right ones??

960kg
Friday 13th December 2013, 19:08
gsf £130

They are not stealers!........i support them whatever because if you don`t use then they won`t be there for you or the prices will be so terrible you would have to part with your motor!

Already my local Volvo Dealers are selling other marques to break even so by not using them the situation gets worse....also so does the car as they don`t work as well either....so it is eventually up to the individual what he wants!

Ok, if one wants to own a mongrel of a car, bits from here bits from there but i prefer to have my Volvo the reliable motor it was from the factory, if one starts to fit aftermarket parts for the engine only then you won`t know when to stop spending if it doesn`t run correctly!

£238 for a MAF doing at least how many thousand of miles is a steal ,on your part.

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 20:16
gsf £130

talk to deathrider he can get them cheaper

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 20:43
They are not stealers!........i support them whatever because if you don`t use then they won`t be there for you or the prices will be so terrible you would have to part with your motor!

Already my local Volvo Dealers are selling other marques to break even so by not using them the situation gets worse....also so does the car as they don`t work as well either....so it is eventually up to the individual what he wants!

Ok, if one wants to own a mongrel of a car, bits from here bits from there but i prefer to have my Volvo the reliable motor it was from the factory, if one starts to fit aftermarket parts for the engine only then you won`t know when to stop spending if it doesn`t run correctly!

£238 for a MAF doing at least how many thousand of miles is a steal ,on your part.

i know what your saying..... but its the exact same bosch unit from GSF but half the price, and volvo were saying Wednesday

just had another ££££ drive to the next town, got blown off by an old fiesta

talk to deathrider he can get them cheaper

cheaper than £130?

Brett855tdi
Friday 13th December 2013, 20:55
What are the other dials you have ?? I know the boost in the middle, but what are the left and right ones??

the one on the left is a wideband afr air/fuel ratio
the right is a dual stage boost controller (which the led numbers are useless, hence keeping the boost gauge)
and it lights my face up like an avatar at night... needs a solution maybe tinting it

T5frankie
Friday 13th December 2013, 21:05
i know what your saying..... but its the exact same bosch unit from GSF but half the price, and volvo were saying Wednesday

just had another ££££ drive to the next town, got blown off by an old fiesta

cheaper than £130?

yes mate

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 15:05
fitted new bosch maf and running ok
still idling at 1150 :(

still got po171

i have my ebc between the tcv and wastegate

fully turned up im getting 0.8 bar that fades off to 0.6

i have a 1.2 bar actuator.... do i need to plumb the tcv out but leave it plugged in?

or is it the po171 code doing this?

stribo
Monday 16th December 2013, 15:15
If you've got an EBC then the TCV can be taken out of the line, and just left plugged in.

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 16:27
still cant shift the po171 code

bypassed tcv ... got upto 0.9 bar, still fades down by 0.2

the car doesn't seem as quick as before

T5frankie
Monday 16th December 2013, 16:29
still cant shift the po171 code

bypassed tcv ... got upto 0.9 bar, still fades down by 0.2

the car doesn't seem as quick as before

i still can't get rid of mine either mate, doing my nut in now, i have about 60bhp if i'm lucky

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 16:58
i still can't get rid of mine either mate, doing my nut in now, i have about 60bhp if i'm lucky

makes for a depressing drive doesnt it... i think it must be the code giving me the problem... its as if its in a closed loop for the timing

i get enough boost and the afrs nice and rich... but lucky for 200hp i recon
can feel its completely holding back, now started running a bit lean on idle at start up.... but thats the first time at idle since the po171 lean code pfffft

T5frankie
Monday 16th December 2013, 17:01
makes for a depressing drive doesnt it... i think it must be the code giving me the problem... its as if its in a closed loop for the timing

i get enough boost and the afrs nice and rich... but lucky for 200hp i recon
can feel its completely holding back, now started running a bit lean on idle at start up.... but thats the first time at idle since the po171 lean code pfffft

mine idles fine drives smooth and lovely just nothing when you put your foot down

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 17:06
mine idles fine drives smooth and lovely just nothing when you put your foot down

yeah mine was like that with the cheap maf and broken maf, would run lean so easy then cut out.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 16th December 2013, 17:28
Have you tried putting things back to standard? (apart from removing the turbo)

Just use the TCV.

Also unplug the ecu ovenight to reset it. See what happens.

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 19:24
Have you tried putting things back to standard? (apart from removing the turbo)

Just use the TCV.

Also unplug the ecu ovenight to reset it. See what happens.

I cant see using something other than a fully adjusted ebc giving more boost.

and i clear the codes... they only come back as soon as i start driving ... ive reset it 3 times overnight now... theres a problem

T5frankie
Monday 16th December 2013, 19:26
yeah mine was like that with the cheap maf and broken maf, would run lean so easy then cut out.

ive had 2 mafs on it now lol, (none new though)

stribo
Monday 16th December 2013, 19:29
I can't remember if you've had new lambdas or not Brett, if AFRs are O.K., then it could be one of them.

Brett855tdi
Monday 16th December 2013, 19:41
Well the second ones missing but it not bothered it for over a year
I will have a look at the first