PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing noise behind heater controls

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 14:30
There's a buzzing noise that comes from behind the heater controls inside my car when I switch the ignition on.

When the key is removed, the buzzing continues for a short while until it stops.

Sounds like some sort of worn out electric motor - can it be repaired without replacing the unit?

Thanks

M-R-P
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 14:52
its the fan for the air quality sensor. the little grill at the top of the panel, just right of center. put the hoover on it for a while to clean the dust out, might make it quieter but rest assured, it's supposed to make a bit of noise so you know its working.

stribo
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 16:45
It's actually the interior air temp sensor, the air quality sensor is under the scuttle panel I believe. ;)

Harvey
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 18:21
Also it could be one of the flap control motors trying to move.
Just try changing the settings to where the air blows out from.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 19:07
Ok I believe the settings are on 'auto' at the moment.

I'll remove the unit and clean it out - are there any other cheap/easy fixes?

Thanks

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 21:39
Right.

I removed the heater controls, removed the annoying fan which is making the buzzing noise (does anyone actually know what this does), cleaned it all out, put it all back together and refitted into the car.

The heater controls are now COMPLETELY dead??? They won't light up and there's no activity from the heated seat buttons, window demisters or any other button or dial on that console. I really am baffled... and annoyed!

JamesT5
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 21:44
Right.

I removed the heater controls, removed the annoying fan which is making the buzzing noise (does anyone actually know what this does), cleaned it all out, put it all back together and refitted into the car.

The heater controls are now COMPLETELY dead??? They won't light up and there's no activity from the heated seat buttons, window demisters or any other button or dial on that console. I really am baffled... and annoyed!

Ed, this is what happened to me! I did a thread on this as a few will remember, and you've probably broken the thermistor wire in the grill. I do have some spare parts here (a whole CCM in fact) but with a broken thermistor. If you haven't broken your thermistor I have a circuit board and CCM panel if you need it.

My thread did warn people of this potential issue, unfortunately you have suffered the same as I did. Link to thread...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?53529-Climate-Control-Module-(CCM)-Cleaning-Servicing-a-word-of-warning

PM me or text me if you want some first hand experience and advice on it.

stribo
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 21:51
The fan draws air into the sensor from the cabin.