PDA

View Full Version : starting issue with my s60

markus2k13
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 10:24
Hi hope someone can help my car won't start last night I fitted my wind deflectors had the ignition turned so lights and radio was on I then noticed a little tapping sound inside the car and my interior lights flickered and I lost all power so I turned ignition off for a little bit thinking it was the battery then went to start her up and she wouldn't turn over so thought my battery was flat but I'm not sure if that is the problem as I've just tried again this morning my central locking, lights and radio are working but she still won't start up and when I turn the key in the ignition there's a noise from the engine as if she's trying to start up but can't get there can someone please help me

Thank you mark

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 10:30
Sounds like a fuse has popped somewhere. Obviously, the best thing to do would be read the codes but check the fuses in the dash.

markus2k13
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 10:51
I haven't got a code reader and which fuse should I be looking at mate

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 10:54
I don't have the fuse layout to hand but I'd grab a torch and start looking for any popped fuses in the board in the end of the dash (drivers side)

markus2k13
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 11:36
Just checked all the fuses look fine it's got me stumped :0(

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 11:56
Whereabouts are you? maybe someone local has a reader?

960kg
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 12:32
With these modern motors so battery reliant it doesn`t take long with lights and radio on to discharge the battery enough for it to fire all the sensors up and start the engine.

The days are gone when you could do this old school, listen while you work!

To be logical your wind deflectors arn`t electrical so the only thing you have done is drain the battery!!

I would charge the battery first to maximum and go from there.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 12:36
With these modern motors so battery reliant it doesn`t take long with lights and radio on to discharge the battery enough for it to fire all the sensors up and start the engine.

The days are gone when you could do this old school, listen while you work!

I would charge the battery first to maximum and go from there.

A very good point.

When my battery was on it's way out, I could run the radio for maybe an hour then, although the interior lights and fan would run, turning the key resulted in a click and maybe a slight "whir" of the starter trying to fire.

960kg
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 13:00
I know we learn all the time with motors but i had the shock of my life when the alternator went on a previous GDI S40....of course the motor was ok for a day or so local then the battery got low and the engine was all over the place while idling....noticed then the battery light was up and my drivers window was down so i thought quick wind it up (electric window) it went up slow and when the window hit the top of the door and put extra strain on the battery the engine stalled and every single light on the dash was flashing like a Christmas tree......

jdavis
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 14:38
Your battery is flat

markus2k13
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 19:52
I've managed to get it sorted thank ££££ lol thank you for all the help guys much appreciated :0)

Just one final question the little triangle on the dials has been on since I took my headunit out with service message reading srs airbag service required and the triangle was Amber now it's red and the message says srs airbag service urgent what do I do about that

Harvey
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:14
I've managed to get it sorted thank ££££ lol thank you for all the help guys much appreciated :0)

Just one final question the little triangle on the dials has been on since I took my headunit out with service message reading srs airbag service required and the triangle was Amber now it's red and the message says srs airbag service urgent what do I do about that

All you need is the codes reset...
The reason the air bag codes are on is the system was powered up when you removed the radio should have removed the key and remove earth strap from battery.
Also when you refit the battery link the key needs to be on number 2.
The only way to remove the codes is with a VIDA / dice machine or a good reader machine.

LeeT5
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:48
Harvey is right.

Initially you discharged your battery. There would have been enough amperage to run small consumers but not enough to crank the starter.

Battery when reconnected must have ignition key in position 2, ie 'ON'.