PDA

View Full Version : 1998 V70r obd2?

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 18:59
Ok, I am confused. Found the hook-up port under arm rest and it says OBD2 on it. I thought that only came in to play after 2001? Big bonus if it is as presume this means I can get one of the port dongles for a tenner and hook it up to my phone?

V70 Graham
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:02
Big bonus time, my 1998 V70 is OBDII as are most Volvos 1996+

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:04
They were way ahead of the game there then! Just noticed the bluetooth dongles are a mere £6.25 now! Happy days! lol

Kingsford G
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:06
The connector is in the centre compartment

jamesy12345
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:09
I think it came in around '96, yours should be M4.4 management and OK for OBD

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:10
The connector is in the centre compartment

Seriously? Bonus mate! Cheers!!! lol. Time to play and search for app.

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:17
Blimey. Even the app is free and claims to be able to read horsepower!

stribo
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:18
I use this on my C70, also hooks up to the S60R. Now the bad news, to turn the service light off you're going to need one of these:
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/draper-expert-volvo-service-and-airbag-indicator-reset-tool-69007.html

Almost impossible to find new, there is one for hire on Ebay, or if you're lucky someone on here has one who lives close, and will let you borrow it. I have one, but you're a bit far away.

Kingsford G
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:19

Give it a go and let us know mate.Have you had a play with the boost controller yet?

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:22
Give it a go and let us know mate.Have you had a play with the boost controller yet?

Tad wary about using it as know I can be heavy footed and rod-bendy! lol. I will no doubt give it a go at some point mind you. Will keep you posted.

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:23
I use this on my C70, also hooks up to the S60R. Now the bad news, to turn the service light off you're going to need one of these:
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/draper-expert-volvo-service-and-airbag-indicator-reset-tool-69007.html

Almost impossible to find new, there is one for hire on Ebay, or if you're lucky someone on here has one who lives close, and will let you borrow it. I have one, but you're a bit far away.

That's a bit daft if service light can't be knocked off. Clearly quite cunning there then. lol. Thanks for advice and offer there mate.

t5 pete
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:28
I use this on my C70, also hooks up to the S60R. Now the bad news, to turn the service light off you're going to need one of these:http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/draper-expert-volvo-service-and-airbag-indicator-reset-tool-69007.html

There is actually a procedure you can do to turn it off but ive forgot

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:30

Lol. CHEERS pETE! ;-)

V70 Graham
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:37

I'll help you mate.....

1. Press and hold odometer reset button
2. Turn ignition switch to pos 2
3. After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button
4. Confirm by turning your Volvo off, then on again

Doesn't do 1998 models though, my light came on tonight too......and the Draper tool is now discontinued !

stribo
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:40

That's only for ME7 engines

I'll help you mate.....

Doesn't do 1998 models though, my light came on tonight too......and the Draper tool is now discontinued !

As Graham has just said. ;)

V70 Graham
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:42
This might do the job.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Service-Reset-Tool-ITCVSR-/160986313516?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

bongodave
Monday 9th December 2013, 19:51
so many choices lol ta all

jamesy12345
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 02:43
Your '98 model should be covered by VOL-FCR software....my service light is on too so I'm going to try and get a copy of this:

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/diagnostic-tools/vol-fcr/38-vol-fcr-quick-guide.html

960kg
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 12:49

If you are not EXACT with the profile you input to the app you can get very wide readings eg: the weight of the car....don`t forget to add your own weight!!

I had a reading of 313bhp and that was with only a remap and standard 16T and exhaust....not correct... i have a good engine but not that good!

I checked the coolant temp. and it gave 133 degrees Celcius in which case the engine would be toast but the reliable temp. guage only said normal reading of 91.....

bongodave
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 13:22
If you are not EXACT with the profile you input to the app you can get very wide readings eg: the weight of the car....don`t forget to add your own weight!!

I had a reading of 313bhp and that was with only a remap and standard 16T and exhaust....not correct... i have a good engine but not that good!

I checked the coolant temp. and it gave 133 degrees Celcius in which case the engine would be toast but the reliable temp. guage only said normal reading of 91.....

As with many of these things, sounds more like a gimicky toy than a useful tool. Ta for heads-up.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 13:25
Yep - I have the torque app. Although it's brilliant for live data logging and fault finding etc, the torque and Bhp meter is total balls, regardless of how long you spend setting it all up.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 15:18
I'll help you mate.....

After trying this method a couple of times, my 'service' light has been reset :D

jamesy12345
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 15:22
After trying this method a couple of times, my 'service' light has been reset :D

good to know, cheers, will try it on mine also!

edit: curses! foiled again... after ogling your garage, I see u have ME7, I have 4.4

Kingsford G
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 16:47
Its a key procedure on pre me7

deathrider311271
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:11

lol i was going too say you need to do it twice same as you do on the ME7 cars

V70 Graham
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:35
lol i was going too say you need to do it twice same as you do on the ME7 cars

Mine is ME7 lol

stribo
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:45
Its a key procedure on pre me7

Please share, as that's news to me.

deathrider311271
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 20:50

you do Grahams sequence twice thats it, i did my S70 last week which is 4.4

Kingsford G
Tuesday 10th December 2013, 21:18

Put the key into the ignition and turn it to position "I."

Press the trip odometer button in and hold it. Turn the ignition key to position "II

Wait about 5 seconds until the service engine light begins to blink. After the 4th blink, turn the ignition key back to position "I."

Release the button and start the engine. The light should have turned off. If not, repeat steps 1 through 4 again.

jamesy12345
Monday 30th December 2013, 17:12
Put the key into the ignition and turn it to position "I."

Press the trip odometer button in and hold it. Turn the ignition key to position "II

Wait about 5 seconds until the service engine light begins to blink. After the 4th blink, turn the ignition key back to position "I."

Release the button and start the engine. The light should have turned off. If not, repeat steps 1 through 4 again.

Doesn't work for me :( I'm going to try VOL-FCR

T5frankie
Monday 30th December 2013, 18:05
Doesn't work for me :( I'm going to try VOL-FCR

think that only works on me7 cars

stribo
Monday 30th December 2013, 18:59
think that only works on me7 cars

That's what I said, but was told different, haven't tried it yet though.