PDA

View Full Version : Pro`s and con`s of hydraulic lifters over solid lifters

oblark
Friday 6th December 2013, 19:38
As the title says what are the pro`s and con`s of hydraulic lifters over solid lifters ???

Is it a good upgrade to fit solid lifters in a 850 instead of hydraulic lifters ???

claymore
Friday 6th December 2013, 19:39
Depends on what red line you want to run.

Harvey
Friday 6th December 2013, 19:45
All I can say when is the last time you gaped your valves. That's a Pro in my eyes,must be 20 years the last car I did.
I think they never give any trouble if the oil changes are done on time & good oil used.

claymore
Friday 6th December 2013, 19:46
All I can say when is the last time you gaped your valves. That's a Pro in my eyes,must be 20 years the last car I did.
I think they never give any trouble if the oil changes are done on time & good oil used.
I wouldn't be able to have a 8500rpm limit with hydraulic lifters.

Harvey
Friday 6th December 2013, 19:55
I wouldn't be able to have a 8500rpm limit with hydraulic lifters.

Just to ask what is the max rpm for hydraulic - solid - air I think F1 max rpm was around 20k .

stribo
Friday 6th December 2013, 20:09
I think over about 11K-12K you need pneumatic. The way they keep reducing the redline of the F1 engines, they'll soon be back to solid lifters. :(

oblark
Friday 6th December 2013, 20:15
I`m I right in thinking that,

Solid lifters - need gapping but high rpm

Hydraulic lifters - self gapping but limited rpm

claymore
Friday 6th December 2013, 20:19
I think over about 11K-12K you need pneumatic. The way they keep reducing the redline of the F1 engines, they'll soon be back to solid lifters. :(

I think it's more to do with valve springs rather than the lifters.

I`m I right in thinking that,

Solid lifters - need gapping but high rpm

Hydraulic lifters - self gapping but limited rpm

Yep, but to be honest you should only really need to gap them when you put the head together.

stribo
Friday 6th December 2013, 20:32
I think it's more to do with valve springs rather than the lifters.

You are of course right Colin, springs can't close the valves quickly enough at F1 engine speeds.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 6th December 2013, 21:19
My ME7 has solid lifters.