PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet insulation marks on the OTE pipe

mr nozzle
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:29
S60R 2006 OTE pipe marked by the bonnet insulation sagging. I'm thinking about making a small hole in the insulation and super-glueing a flat headed plastic nut (if there is such a thing!) to the underside of the bonnet, unless anyone here has a better solution?
Also, what would be the best way of cleaning the burnt stuff from the pipe?

stribo
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:36
We've taken the sound insulation off of ours, not sure how to clean the pipe though.

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:39
respray the pipe and ditch the soundproofing.

simples.

mr nozzle
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:41
Cheers Gents. Would the heat from the pipe mark the paintwork at all though?

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:42
nope :)

mr nozzle
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 19:46
Finally, a problem that can be solved without me forking out millions of pounds! Thanks again chaps

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 20:23
Happy days :)

stribo
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 20:25
Finally, a problem that can be solved without me forking out millions of pounds! Thanks again chaps

Contrary to popular belief not every fix on a S60R costs a fortune. ;)

Harvey
Wednesday 4th December 2013, 20:31
I take it the over engine pipe is plastic as its a 2006 year car,just make sure you prep it well and get the correct primer.

Sharkey R
Thursday 5th December 2013, 15:01
Remove the bonnet insulation and take the lid off the air box. Best free mod you'll ever do. ;p

LeeT5
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 09:26

Heat?? You won't get any heat from the OTE pipe, that's why on 06> they are plastic. Its mainly full of colder air.

I removed my insulation a 6 months ago and has been great ever since. You will notice a little more engine noise and if you have an AMS or cone filter or like Steve (Sharkey) said, take the lid of the OE air box....will will get a lovely induction noise and you'll hear the 'off' throttle noise and under high boost, if you have a mechanical recirc valve (as I do) you'll hear that baby too!!

When I removed mine I also treated my bonnet to a new bonnet latch. Very cheap and my old one was rusty and minging. Comes with the anodized metal spring!

regards the black mark...if alloy pipe, use carb cleaner and wire wool but be gentle. If plastic use carb cleaner and an old microfibre cloth.

LeeT5
Wednesday 11th December 2013, 09:55

Heat?? You won't get any heat from the OTE pipe, that's why on 06> they are plastic. Its mainly full of colder air.

I removed my insulation a 6 months ago and has been great ever since. You will notice a little more engine noise and if you have an AMS or cone filter or like Steve (Sharkey) said, take the lid of the OE air box....will will get a lovely induction noise and you'll hear the 'off' throttle noise and under high boost, if you have a mechanical recirc valve (as I do) you'll hear that baby too!!

When I removed mine I also treated my bonnet to a new bonnet latch. Very cheap and my old one was rusty and minging. Comes with the anodized metal spring!

regards the black mark...if alloy pipe, use carb cleaner and wire wool but be gentle. If plastic use carb cleaner and an old microfibre cloth.