PDA

View Full Version : HU-850 stereo?

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 20:49
Are all these stereos absolute trout? I've had to buy a new one for the V70 before because the equaliser went tits up, the radio signal is utter gash and I've never managed to get on top of that one.
now the S60's radio signal goes weird too, the only way I can explain the sound quality is, it goes from what sounds like stereo quality to mono all the time. I haven't tried it yet but I think the cd player has pissibly 3 cds jammed in it or at least it says there are 3 in it anyway and when I eject it Iget a cd error message. I'm a bit scared to try a cd in it incase it gobbles it up. Is this a common fault?

Chad
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:10
Hi Martyn,

Our S60 and S80 had the HU850, are they are a proper ball ache when they go bad. Cant read cd, radio signal, CD getting stuck...

and then when you need one or to get it repaired its all £250+

Most of the ones we have come across have had some sort of issue with them, just like the SC900/1 in the S/V70R and C70.

There is a company down south that most dealers use for refurbishing these units....(i cant rememebr the name, if i remember it i willpost it up)

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:14
If it is knackerd chad im just going to live with it. I payed over £800 for the replacement in the R. Come to think of it I bought a new one for the P1 as well lol but I still prefer that unit.
I might try opening it myself.
Do you ever deal with breaking cars chad? I might want to try and tidy the interior up on this beast, if it proves to be a decent asset.

M-R-P
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:20
Just slap a sony or pioneer in there Martyn, the facia is about a tenner from ebay.

Good sound, bluetooth, perfect radio etc, etc..

Chad
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:21
We do sometimes, Let me know what you need....

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:29
Get a grom unit or a imiv unit,no need for a cd player.
Just about to remove a grom from the V70 to fit my imiv unit.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:46
Just slap a sony or pioneer in there Martyn, the facia is about a tenner from ebay.

Good sound, bluetooth, perfect radio etc, etc..

sorry to sound like a ££££ but I really dont like the single dins in our cars, ive never liked the look of it sorry.

We do sometimes, Let me know what you need....

I have mrp looking out for some stuff for me too. But I wouldn't mind a new drivers seat, a center consul, gear stick, hand brake shroud and the two A pillar trims.

Get a grom unit or a imiv unit,no need for a cd player.
Just about to remove a grom from the V70 to fit my imiv unit.

I have thought about it. Let me know how the groom compares to the imiv please harvey, if you notice the sound quality is better with the imiv then the groom isnt for me lol. I like the groom because the handsfree is more concealed.

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:54
I have thought about it. Let me know how the groom compares to the imiv please harvey, if you notice the sound quality is better with the imiv then the groom isnt for me lol. I like the groom because the handsfree is more concealed.

The grom unit was in the car when I got it,but it doesn't display the track name on the display,the imiv was in the S60 but it's going into the V70 as i have the rear camera kit aswell and it will play video on the nav screen nice toy,the sound is good on both units.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:56
Ah having the song name would be a boost. Does the groom have the handsfree.

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:59
Ah having the song name would be a boost. Does the groom have the handsfree.

Yes there is a Bluetooth dongle thing I think as I have not removed it yet.

Chad
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:59
forgive my confusion....

which car we talking about??? lol

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:03
forgive my confusion....

which car we talking about??? lol

I think - its his new S60.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:03
The S60 D5 I just bought sorry chad I haven't even introduced it onto the forum yet, just haven't got the motivation.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:04
Yes there is a Bluetooth dongle thing I think as I have not removed it yet.

So what you doing with it then?

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:07
not sure what my headunit is but i cant fault it. the sat nav on the other hand i can.

Chad
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:08
What year is it>?

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:12
So what you doing with it then?

If you want I can stick it in the post to you to have a play with it. After I have removed it next week with any luck.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:16
not sure what my headunit is but i cant fault it. the sat nav on the other hand i can.

I will take the sat nav lol.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:17
If you want I can stick it in the post to you to have a play with it. After I have removed it next week with any luck.

Go for it harvey that would be great. I will put it in the D5.

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:21
Go for it harvey that would be great. I will put it in the D5.

Ok will pm you when I have removed it.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:27
Thank you, I will need to buy an ipod, mine got wrecked in the crash lol.

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:39
Thank you, I will need to buy an ipod, mine got wrecked in the crash lol.

I don't think so ,it can I think use a USB lead from a Android phone.

Have a look on there web site.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2p-vol01.html

I just don't know what unit is fitted in the car yet.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:44
It says ipod as well..... But it does seem to be highlighting android more.

Harvey
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:47
It says ipod as well..... But it does seem to be highlighting android more.

At the moment it got a iPhone plug lead 4S type not the new 5 plug.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:52
At the moment it got a iPhone plug lead 4S type not the new 5 plug.

Im not sure if the new ipods take the lightning connector. If they do I will try it out on the ipad first because I know how fussy apple can be with none genuine parts.

Fubar1977
Sunday 24th November 2013, 12:01
You are not stuck with single DIN if you swap to aftermarket.
Get a fascia adapter and stick a double DIN unit in there.

My HU850 is behaving perfectly (7 years old) even the 6 disc changer works perfectly.
I`ve fitted a GROM to mine for iPOD connectivity and I prefer my dash to look stock but a double DIN is an easy swap.

As MRP says, look on EBay and you`ll quickly find a suitable adapter, you will also need a wiring harness adapter to connect an aftermarket unit and MAY lose the steering wheel controls depending on the type of install you go for.

stribo
Sunday 24th November 2013, 13:39
The headunit in the R works perfectly, and has a imiv and Nokia handsfree kit connected to it, so is good all round. The headunit in the C70 however is hit and miss whether it'll play a CD or not, luckily I mostly listen to the radio for which it's fine.

martindzh
Thursday 28th November 2013, 12:54
Hi there. These guys are quite good.
http://www.centralservicescaraudio.co.uk/car-audio-and-navigation-repair
Martin

M-R-P
Thursday 28th November 2013, 12:56
The headunit in the R works perfectly, and has a imiv and Nokia handsfree kit connected to it, so is good all round. The headunit in the C70 however is hit and miss whether it'll play a CD or not, luckily I mostly listen to the radio for which it's fine.

Cheap lens cleaner off the market mate - run it 5 or 6 times.

ExternalError
Thursday 28th November 2013, 13:40
I can say I like the IMIV kit I have it in my S60 very neat install and love that I can play stuff through the sat nav screen. Reason I went with tthe IMIV is because my Sat nav DVD drive laser is broke, I was quoted £180 to fix it, but read about the IMIV and thought I may as well get that for 200 and then stick my iphone satnav through the screen. When I got it, I couldnt do what I wanted because iphones crappy software wont just display anythin you want so off I went to jail break my iphone now I can have anything up on the screen and also got a screen friendly notifications centre for texts and such, not that I text back while driving of course.

volvokid
Sunday 16th February 2014, 20:13
Ok so the radio signal WAS rubbish in the S60, I've found that the signal is pathetic when I plug my phone into the fag lighter.
I decided to pull the plugs out the V70's dvd player and voilą I now have a perfect signal in the car! What causes this then? Im glad I've found the kinda cause to the issue but I want to resolve it now.

T5RatherAmusin
Sunday 16th February 2014, 20:26
Just curious. If you go in your boot. open the side panel on driver side then look down into the well. The aerial is in the bumper how does you connection look?

volvokid
Sunday 16th February 2014, 20:38
I've never personaly checked any connections but strathmore and mrg checked them all and they where fine.

silverhorse
Monday 17th February 2014, 01:36
When you buy a TV or DVD or soundbar, etc for your house, the leads come with an anti interference magnet that you clip around them which insulates the surrounding equipment from any electrical interference which distorts the digital signals.
Sounds a bit like your problem maybe???

p fandango
Monday 17th February 2014, 04:29
You are not stuck with single DIN if you swap to aftermarket.
Get a fascia adapter and stick a double DIN unit in there.

As MRP says, look on EBay and you`ll quickly find a suitable adapter, you will also need a wiring harness adapter to connect an aftermarket unit and MAY lose the steering wheel controls depending on the type of install you go for.
the double din fascia is Volvo only, but i agree i went for aftermarket instead of being stuck with Volvo's own

http://imageshack.com/a/img88/5379/01082012701.jpg

RichT4
Monday 17th February 2014, 07:40
Aftermarket is a whole lot better anyway :)

Harvey
Monday 10th March 2014, 21:35

Have now got it removed,was going to fit to S60R but thats gone.
Do you still want to try it ?.