PDA

View Full Version : ipd heavy duty tcv

graemewelch
Thursday 21st November 2013, 12:14
big thanks to jammie for getting this to me so quickly. going to be fitting it tomora as me heads stuck in a bucket today. ive no idea if mines worn or not. but ive never changed it in 25k so guess cant do any harm. it was reading grahams post that made me thinking about changing it when he said noticed a good difference. befor and after is going to be impossible as some many parts have been changed and refurbed recently. after all this effort to uprate adn change all servicable parts im hoping for a nice power delivery.

is it advisable to change the vacuum pipes. it never crossed my mind but ive got 3 meters of silicone hose in garage. not sure it good enough as the volvo lines looks much better quality

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg483/gwexhausts/20131121_120544_zps8b6e970c.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/gwexhausts/media/20131121_120544_zps8b6e970c.jpg.html)

ill be a good lad and keep the sweets till after tea

M-R-P
Thursday 21st November 2013, 12:56
A couple of things...

Did the TCV come with instructions on how to "train" the ecu to use it? If not, download them as correct setup is very important for these to work properly.

You need 4mm hose to change all the vac lines, the recirc and compressor hose should be a priority as they are most prone to fail.

I've got the previous version of the tcv and it's been really good, makes the boost come in with a bit more aggression and unlike the OE valve, you can pull it apart and clean it.

thebadger
Thursday 21st November 2013, 13:12
Highly recommend good silicone hoses & jubilee clips to hold the hoses on.

The hose on my turbo virtually fell off when I went to change it, it cracked off the end of the nossel because it was so brittle.

Rubber hoses are pretty rubbish at withstanding prolonged high tempreature.

The setup procedure is tricky to do, I recommend an empty road & have passenger help you monitor either the revs or the road (steering wise) it makes life so much easier.

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 21st November 2013, 13:40
have fun graeme.

graemewelch
Thursday 21st November 2013, 15:20
A couple of things...

Did the TCV come with instructions on how to "train" the ecu to use it? If not, download them as correct setup is very important for these to work properly.

You need 4mm hose to change all the vac lines, the recirc and compressor hose should be a priority as they are most prone to fail.

I've got the previous version of the tcv and it's been really good, makes the boost come in with a bit more aggression and unlike the OE valve, you can pull it apart and clean it.

ill read these befor i start driving. good job i posted this or else i would of done the normal blokey thing. fit first drive it then read teh instructions

Highly recommend good silicone hoses & jubilee clips to hold the hoses on.

The hose on my turbo virtually fell off when I went to change it, it cracked off the end of the nossel because it was so brittle.

Rubber hoses are pretty rubbish at withstanding prolonged high tempreature.

The setup procedure is tricky to do, I recommend an empty road & have passenger help you monitor either the revs or the road (steering wise) it makes life so much easier.

im not convined the silicone hose i have is up to the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Vacuum-Vac-Hose-Pipe-Tube-3mm-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm-10mm-available-/290742298928?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item43b1976930

or am i being to anal.

M-R-P
Thursday 21st November 2013, 15:24
ill read these befor i start driving. good job i posted this or else i would of done the normal blokey thing. fit first drive it then read teh instructions

im not convined the silicone hose i have is up to the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Vacuum-Vac-Hose-Pipe-Tube-3mm-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm-10mm-available-/290742298928?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item43b1976930

or am i being to anal.
If you fit the TCV and just boot it, you'll get a boost spike, you'll think "woohoo" and then "oh bugger" as the car reels the power back in. I found that one out lol.
Train it just right and it'll be lovely.

That vac hose will be fine, I have it on mine but braided fuel hose is supposed to be the best upgrade.

graemewelch
Thursday 21st November 2013, 16:24
If you fit the TCV and just boot it, you'll get a boost spike, you'll think "woohoo" and then "oh bugger" as the car reels the power back in. I found that one out lol.
Train it just right and it'll be lovely.

That vac hose will be fine, I have it on mine but braided fuel hose is supposed to be the best upgrade.

ill get some of the braided stuff. only the best will do. looks better to. not to keen on the look of the silicone hose. must shake off this anal head of mine. its costing me a fortune

M-R-P
Thursday 21st November 2013, 16:25
Nowt wrong with a bit of anal...

graemewelch
Thursday 21st November 2013, 17:13
Nowt wrong with a bit of anal...

are we still talking about being a picky perfectionist or the kind of anal you and graham get up to:uglyhamme

M-R-P
Thursday 21st November 2013, 17:26
Graham? oh no, I prefer a little more grass on the wicket.

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 18:37
well its all fit. i can say it was well worth it. car pulls so much harder now. isnt as smooth as it was. full boost seems to comin in faster now and it certainly pulls loads better. next thing is a forge actuator as mine will prob be worn.

volvokid
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 18:50
Good stuff
How much was it

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 20:11
Good stuff
How much was it

around £90 quid delivered i think. worth every penny. slowly getting the car wear i want it to be

stribo
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 20:41
TBH I can't see how a TCV can be heavy duty, it either passes air to the actuator, or it doesn't, and a genuine Volvo one is about half the price. As long as you're happy though mate.

Dream3r
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:10
They're just mac valves with a 40 quid IPD badge!

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:04
TBH I can't see how a TCV can be heavy duty, it either passes air to the actuator, or it doesn't, and a genuine Volvo one is about half the price. As long as you're happy though mate.

it needed doing so thought why not. i did look at them both but decieded to try the more expensive one which i beleve is serviceable

They're just mac valves with a 40 quid IPD badge!

i had heard that but wasnt sure so didnt want to chance it

Dream3r
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:07
I'll find a pic of mine tomorrow. They are heavy duty industrial valves so I was hoping it would last longer than the OE one.

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:22
if the car had drove the same as it did with the old one then i wouldnt of been happy but its changed it for the better so im happy.

M-R-P
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:30
if the car had drove the same as it did with the old one then i wouldnt of been happy but its changed it for the better so im happy.

I found mine was a bit aggressive for a while but it calmed down.

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 22:39
I found mine was a bit aggressive for a while but it calmed down.

id say full boost comes in with more of a bang. im sure it comes in a bit sooner to. did my best with setting it up but i couldnt say wear half boost is so i guessed.

JamesT5
Sunday 24th November 2013, 10:56
I put a new OE TCV on about 4 months ago and it made no difference at all. Incidentally, my old one is sat in a box right here at home. I thought about upgrading to the IPD one but read bad reviews of it online so I opted for the OE spec one in an attempt to solve what I felt was a lack of boost. And yes, I did have a check of the vac lines and couldn't see any obvious damage.

V70 Graham
Sunday 24th November 2013, 11:11
Changed mine a couple of months ago now for a genuine Volvo one and it did make a difference, couldn't really see the advantage in the IPD one.