PDA

View Full Version : Its the head gasket

thesoundcriminal
Wednesday 20th November 2013, 16:05
I think its the head its got oil in the water and is using water ok so how hard is it to do a head gasket on one of these I wont be doing it my mate who is a mechanic is. Is it worth polishing the head whilst I`m at it.

merc85
Wednesday 20th November 2013, 16:23
Hi Buddy, what car are we talking about? 850? if it is it could the Radiator as the oil cooler is built into it and these are conman to crack interanally

smithy
Wednesday 20th November 2013, 16:34
940 mate piece of pee .2 hrs if everything goes as it should .

artfulflounder
Wednesday 20th November 2013, 23:02
Bit of a noob to volvos but if u've got the front plastic cam covers off would be worth changing all the front oil seals while they're there.

one thing less on the list to go wrong and they're cheap enough to replace.

good luck and keep us posted ....:bud:

thesoundcriminal
Thursday 21st November 2013, 10:55
I told my mechanic it was a two hour job and he laughed out loud. Smithy is there an easy way to do it mate or is it obvious the the trained eye ( trained in the loosest sense of the word). I guess I will need the head skimming whilst its off should I get another mate who is into his porting and grinding to do the head is it worth it. Also as I`m looking for a bigger turbo at some point is there any particular gasket i should use.

thesoundcriminal
Thursday 21st November 2013, 10:58
This video is quite funny hehe definitely something i would do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7mXIuMko3Y

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st November 2013, 11:05
940 headgasket is a piece of cake to do, sooooo much room to get in and undo everything. Added bonus is headgasket kits are cheaper than the 5 pot kits.

classicswede
Thursday 21st November 2013, 22:19
About 2 hours and a skim. If the exhaust studs have badly rusted up it can take a little longer.

Headsets are not that expensive either so not a big deal to replace.

artfulflounder
Friday 22nd November 2013, 14:18
keeping tabs on this as it seems i may have to do the same job myself......:(

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=volvo+940+head+gasket&osCsid=4cad1ab0b64c5fc15a57f0946cf1f012&checkbutton=Go

£34 for complete set thats really good....still not used to the spares prices for these volvo's my fiat bravo was soooooo much more for parts.

Do the 87deg thermostat for a princely sum of £8 too.