PDA

View Full Version : Suspension clunking is gone!

JimmyBurnWorld
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 06:27
After about 6 months of ownership (over 2 years ago now) my car developed a clunking noise from the passenger foot well when going over uneven ground. After finding this I did the following (in order):

Drop links, front & rear (Meyle HD - Still going strong)
Wishbone bushes
New shocks front and rear and full top mounts (bearing and rubber)
Numerous service checks for play in the suspension

Also passed 2 MOTs, most recent was in July.

So while the car was in to have winter tyres fitted, I asked for it to be tracked up. I used a garage that was doing a good deal on Goodrich G Force Winter tyes (never used before). He came on later that afternoon with 'Your passenger side ball joint is worn - Want me to change it for £50?' Got him to do both and the clunking is gone!

Interestingly he showed me the old ones and there is very little play. He said he only noticed it because it knocked when he was adjusting the tracking - it passed the pry bar test initially. Also the front nearside tyre had excessive inner wear which didn't tie in with how the tracking was out.

Hope this helps someone else chasing that annoying clunk!

thebadger
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 08:00
Yeah, lots of culprits when it comes to suspension related knocks, but really unless you can verify when all the parts got changed & what's outstanding, then really it can just be guess work & luck sometimes.

Most frequently on the P2s it's drop links which are to blame.

y2blade
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 08:46
Don't worry it will be back soon :(
I've given up fixing the clunk on the S60, replace one part..it runs silent...two/four weeks later it clunks again......replace another part....it runs silent...two/four weeks later it clunks again...and repeat until fed up with the sodding thing.

P2s are flipping awful for this :(

M-R-P
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 08:53
Mine's lovely. Only ever clinked a couple of times but the wishbone bushes fixed that. Got a click a few months ago, changed the droplinks, all good.

Apart from the shocks and springs, all the rear suspension on mine is original with 206k - even the rear droplinks, and still tight as a drum with no noises at all.

I think some cars are just unlucky.

y2blade
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 09:24
Mine's lovely. Only ever clinked a couple of times but the wishbone bushes fixed that. Got a click a few months ago, changed the droplinks, all good.

Apart from the shocks and springs, all the rear suspension on mine is original with 206k - even the rear droplinks, and still tight as a drum with no noises at all.

I think some cars are just unlucky.

On the other side of that theory
There is always a good one ;)

Have a look on VOC at all the knocking/clunky ones out there, I don't think mine is particularly unlucky.....they are just badly designed/built
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/search.php?searchid=3008095

M-R-P
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 09:58
It's like everything tho, you only hear of the horror stories. The classic example is the DIM on the early P2. I always say avoid anything before 2004 due to the dim and the ETM but that's down to personal experience (well, the DIM any way) but Graigieboy's S80 runs perfectly and the original DIM is still running as it should.

I don't think a P2 can get much more abused than an ex-plod and mine was no exception but the suspension was mostly original.