PDA

View Full Version : New wheels and new noise

c70mel
Saturday 29th October 2005, 18:30
Hey all again,

Just got my brand spankin new 18" OZ's fitted to my C70 with 225/40 tyres on.

Big smiles when seeing them on first but now there is this annoying whineing noise (no, not my girlfriend). Only gets really noticeable at about 20-30mph but it does get quite loud. Its not like something is rubbing but its just coming from the front and is doing my head in. Its like a whirling noise from the wheels.

A friend is convinced its just tyre rumble from the tread on the tarmac, they are cheap budget tyres but ive just never heard this sound before from tyres.

I'm a bit worried the offset is out as on the invoice is states these are ET 46mm and I was thinking my Volvo needs about 35-42mm? Would this incorrect offset (if it is wrong) cause any sort of noise or problems?

Thanks for any info! just wondering if anyone else has come across a similar problem (or just annoyance).

Cheers

TangoDeltaSierra3
Saturday 29th October 2005, 19:03
Its not the stickers or a small stone stuck in yer tyre tread is it?

Engineer
Saturday 29th October 2005, 19:16
If it was the tyres you would get it off all four not just the front try different surfaces if its tyre road noise then the pitch will change.

The Flying Banana
Saturday 29th October 2005, 19:19
Hey all again,

Just got my brand spankin new 18" OZ's fitted to my C70 with 225/40 tyres on.

Big smiles when seeing them on first but now there is this annoying whineing noise (no, not my girlfriend). Only gets really noticeable at about 20-30mph but it does get quite loud. Its not like something is rubbing but its just coming from the front and is doing my head in. Its like a whirling noise from the wheels.

A friend is convinced its just tyre rumble from the tread on the tarmac, they are cheap budget tyres but ive just never heard this sound before from tyres.

I'm a bit worried the offset is out as on the invoice is states these are ET 46mm and I was thinking my Volvo needs about 35-42mm? Would this incorrect offset (if it is wrong) cause any sort of noise or problems?

Thanks for any info! just wondering if anyone else has come across a similar problem (or just annoyance).

Cheers

Just incase..is the direction of the tyres going the right way...sometimes this will cause a strange noise, a rumble etc

siamblue
Saturday 29th October 2005, 19:35
Not sure is this would cause a noise but did you use plastic collets to the inside of the wheel ? someone will tell us what they are called.

The Flying Banana
Saturday 29th October 2005, 20:02
Not sure is this would cause a noise but did you use plastic collets to the inside of the wheel ? someone will tell us what they are called.

Spigot Rings.....if not used they wheels are not centred so would give a definate wobble

c70mel
Saturday 29th October 2005, 22:05
The place where I bought them fitted them too so not sure what was used when fitting, although I didn't see them use this 3/4" silver ring for each alloy *shrug* However there is no real wobble or vibration just the sound from the front 2 wheels.

I've drove them for quite a bit now so I think the stickers have worn off... It defo doesn't sound like a stone.

Interesting about the road surface.. when I drove today from work the road has been freshly layed and is very smooth.... on this type of surface the noise is at its loudest! On rougher roads its harder to hear but is still there

Both my mate and the company who fitted them say its just the tyre tread on the road but im not so sure as i've never heard this sound with other new tyres. Anyone know anything more about the problems with having a wrong offset?

Cheers for all the help!

dicky b t5
Saturday 29th October 2005, 22:59
What make of tyres are they....??
Someone else on here may have some and might be able to shed some light on it..

BlackBeast
Saturday 29th October 2005, 23:30
Swap the front wheels for your standard old ones if you still have them. Go for a calm drive and see if the noise remains, if it does then there's something up with the brakes or the wheel bearings etc, if the noise has dissapeared then as above, its either wheels, tyres or spigot rings/bolts.

c70mel
Sunday 30th October 2005, 00:09
The tyres are some Kihan something.. ting ting ya kung fu fighting tyres. Will get the proper name and post it up, good idea as someone else might have the same tyre/noise i hope.

There was no noise what so ever when I had the original Volvo wheels on. Even when driving to the garage to get my new ones fitted they were completely silent.

Basically im just trying to find out if the wheels are possibly the wrong ones! especially with this offset business making me wary. If its just the cheapo tyres then im happy as I know its nothing to worry about and hopefully the sound will go after the tread changes.

Just been for a drive now and I think there is also a very very slight vibration coming from the front on a very smooth road. Or am i just being paranoid with all of this.

Cheers again.

fireclown
Sunday 30th October 2005, 01:36
The tyres are some Kihan something.. ting ting ya kung fu fighting tyres......yer i.ve heard about them :slap:

siamblue
Sunday 30th October 2005, 02:29
Take the front wheels off and inspect them then swap them to the rears and vice versa, see if the noise goes to the rear of the car?

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 30th October 2005, 02:44
Nearly all tyre manufacturers have done research into tyre acoustics. I'm no scientist but the lower profile of your 18" wheels in general should give a louder noise due to the lower damping properties of the side wall. This basically means a stiffer ride, but as a consequence all the sound vibrations will transfer through the wheel into the cabin. Different tyre compounds will/should reduce the noise........... choosing which one that would work for you will be the tricky decision.

I've not got 18" on my car, but I know a few who have....

Also without looking at your car there is no way of knowing if there isn't something else wrong......

c70mel
Sunday 30th October 2005, 13:05
The tyres are Wanli ...... "a name u can trust" lol

True about the low profile giving more road noise... Although ive had 205/40/17 budget tyres a number of times on my old car and never heard any more than usual road noise. Like you mentioned though these are 18" and 225 so wider and bigger.

Just hoping its not doing any damage to the front suspension/wheel bearings etc etc.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 30th October 2005, 13:19
The tyres are Wanli ...... "a name u can trust" lol

True about the low profile giving more road noise... Although ive had 205/40/17 budget tyres a number of times on my old car and never heard any more than usual road noise. Like you mentioned though these are 18" and 225 so wider and bigger.

Just hoping its not doing any damage to the front suspension/wheel bearings etc etc.

I used wanli tyres on my 535 BMW, 225 x 35 x18 as tehy were cheap and it was for an MOT..i was surprised as they were actually not half bad...no noise from them though!

MattB
Monday 31st October 2005, 21:20
I have had a similar or even maybe the same problem since replacing Columba's with Canisto's on my 854. Was 205/50ZR16 - now 225/45ZR17. Tyre brand is different front and back.

After fitting the Canisto's a 'whine' developed in my car too. After dropping my girlfriend off and driving 'round the block, I figured my problem to was car related! On a serious note, I originally had Michelin Pilot Sports on the front and Tornados on the rear. I swapped the wheels front to back and the whine 'appeared' to move to the rear. Infact when I first did this I was convinced that it had, but now I am not 100% sure.

I have since had all 4 wheel balanced - which incidently was "way out", but this did not offer any improvement.

The forum suggested that I try spigots - admittedly, I haven't got around to this yet.

So to summarise - it appears that the Michelins are the culprits, albeit just the tyres or even the wheels as well? Tornados seem ok, but atleast now they are on the front and I can wear them out and get some better ones to match the Michelins? However, this does not solve the 'whine'? Although it has been nice of me to share my story, I haven't helped C70mel at all, so I'll just nip off and get my coat.... peepo

Again on a serious note, I'd be very interested in any further suggestions and also the outcome of any methods / solutions that you try C70mel :)

c70mel
Monday 31st October 2005, 21:39
Cheers Mattb... although no 'fix it' solutions have been found yet i'm abit more relaxed about it being that yourself have had this similar situation (was going to saying problem but perhaps it isn't a problem just an annoyance).

Does your whineing appear at a certain speed? you can hear the noise from mine at 20mph up to about 35mph. its very noticable (annoying) on a smooth road as well!

I will see how it goes and just hope that it is just the tyre compound or tread type which is making the noise and may quieten down as the miles roll off the tyres. Still a bit :pants: though.

SaffronC70
Monday 31st October 2005, 21:43
right, here's an interesting story !

After replacing control arms, wheel bearing and drop links - my noise went way after passing on my wheels to MattB !!!

It's just tyre noise, imo !

I'm running the same brand all the way round now, so the noise is probably evened oout !

Chris

MattB
Monday 31st October 2005, 21:50
My whineing appears in the same circumstances as yours C70mel.
To be honest, I'm totally confused by it.:wallbash:

Don't worry Chris, still very happy with the wheels - infact since taking them back, I have never looked back - except when reversing!!

BTW - your website's pretty cool! :pimp2: (and your signature too!)

SaffronC70
Monday 31st October 2005, 21:55
cheers ! boredom helps the signature !

I'm dreading the day I need to buy new tyres ! stick with my Nangkangs or go 'posh' !

Chris

Engineer
Monday 31st October 2005, 22:03
Go posh the old girl deserves it!!!!

SaffronC70
Monday 31st October 2005, 22:06
choices choices choices though !

Goodyear Excellence ?

Mich Pilots ?

Eagle F1s ?

:slap:

c70mel
Monday 31st October 2005, 22:11
right, here's an interesting story !

After replacing control arms, wheel bearing and drop links - my noise went way after passing on my wheels to MattB !!!

It's just tyre noise, imo !

I'm running the same brand all the way round now, so the noise is probably evened oout !

Chris

I hope so!

No experts on the technical side of 'offset' yet? This was my first concern thinking the offset of these alloys are out by too much. Ahhhhh who knows! lol... MattB join the club of confusion!! :B_steerin

rs_andy
Monday 31st October 2005, 22:19
the offset is the distance between the inside of the wheel where it mates with the hub and the outside rim of the wheel so shouldn't make THAT much difference though will put a bit more strain on the wheel bearings.

I too had a similar whining noise much like wheel bearing noise while running on freshly laid tarmac, went away after a while so I imagine it's just the newness of the tyres.

c70mel
Monday 31st October 2005, 22:28
the offset is the distance between the inside of the wheel where it mates with the hub and the outside rim of the wheel so shouldn't make THAT much difference though will put a bit more strain on the wheel bearings.

I too had a similar whining noise much like wheel bearing noise while running on freshly laid tarmac, went away after a while so I imagine it's just the newness of the tyres.

thats what I was thinking.... possibly it is putting to much strain on the bearings and in turn causing this whineing, straining noise? On the other hand if this was happening then it should be noticeable all the time and not just between 20-35mph I would of thought. Will see how it goes though.

siamblue
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 01:26
choices choices choices though !

Goodyear Excellence ?

Mich Pilots ?

Eagle F1s ?

:slap:

I have a virtually brand new F1 sat here, but i am going Dunlop SP9000, so might have one spare.

Gary

MattB
Tuesday 1st November 2005, 13:15

Just to be difficult - all my tyres are part worn, so can't be that?