PDA

View Full Version : ABS/trac. fault

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:24
As some of you may know, I have had an ABS/TC fault since I bought my car - the ABS an TC don't work at all.

I don't have any ABS warning lights on my dash and the fuse in the engine fuse box looks fine. Also no DTC's on the OBD2 last time it went to Volvo.

My questions are:

1. Does the P2 have an ABS light?

2. I'll be testing as much as possible tomorrow, I guess I need to test the system and sensors via the pins on the ABS module plug?

Interesting that as I read over the online MOT history, it failed in April last year on an ABS warning. When I bought it in November last year the car came with 12 months and no warning lights on dash. If there is an ABS light, maybe they removed the bulb instead of fixing the issue? When I switch the ignition key over there are also no ABS lights even illuminated for a second or two.

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:29
Yes it should have an ABS light. I think that would have been an advisory last year but a failure now.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:29
Just read over my paperwork and actually, when it last went into Volvo:

ABS-0070 Pump motor Faulty signal. DTC is found active.

So does this automatically suggest the PUMP is shot? Or could it still be a wheel sensor?

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:30
Yes it should have an ABS light. I think that would have been an advisory last year but a failure now.

So where are they? Bottom right hand side where the battery/EML are etc?

Thanks

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:37
Yes, next to the EML.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:40
Mine definitely doesn't have one so i'm guessing the swines I bought the car from removed the bulb?

Anyway - has anyone else experienced the ABS 0070 fault? Was it new pump time?

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:43
Should have added that I took one of my S60's on a 3000 mile Euro tour in the summer and the tracs/ABS warning was on and off for the whole trip. A faulty reluctor ring was diagnosed but I have not yet changed it as it has not come on since returning home and the car passed the mot last month.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:45
Ahhh that's interesting - what's a reluctor ring and how can I check it?

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:46
The ring on the hub/shaft - i'm with you now.

I'm fairly certain ABS 0070 is a pump code though :(

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:49
The bulb cannot be removed from the DIM mate.

The reluctor ring is a cogged ring that sits around the outer cv joint. It hides inside the hub and the abs sensor picks up it's readings from it.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:53
Hmmmm that's an odd one then. I definitely have no ABS warning light show up with the other warning lights when I flick the key to position 2. Nor do I have one come up when cranking or running the engine.

However, 0070 is present and I have no tracs or ABS.

If I need a new module - is it a BBA REMAN job? I imagine a dealer costs a fortune.

KWK - was your reluctor ring clearly damaged in some way? I.e. was it a visible fault?

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:01
It's a very small crack and is still there.

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:02
Oh and very rusty.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:05
Basically, there's raised parts of the ring that the sensor picks up. a crack can make the ring slip or wobble. this then reads as a rpm mismatch against the other wheels and upsets the tracs system and abs system.

If the pump has gone, another one from a scrappy may solve it but you might need to use the electrical half from your old unit to make it work,

You have pretty piss-poor luck with these cars mate. Ever thought of riding a bike? lol.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:10
KWK have you got any codes stored?

Mart I have a feeling, from what I've read, it's not the pump that fails as such it's the module itself, may be soldered points inside? Not sure I fancy a second hand part if it's a common fault :(

I have considered riding a pony but they use too much grass... And carrots.

kwk
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:24
No to the codes. The garage only found the fault because they replaced all the brakes before I left and thought it was something they had done. It was a visual examination and they would have replaced the ring at the same time but, they didn't have one and I needed the car urgently.
It's strange that it hasn't come back on but it will.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:28
I'll check the rings then.

Sadly, I have a bad feeling it will be a bad module though as I think a bad ring would flag up individual ABS sensor faults (or none in your case).

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 11:28
Right,

Done some digging. Found out that the ABS fuses are ok, and the fuses to the instrument cluster are ok too. Tested ABS sensors and all are reading fine.

Removed cluster and the two grey bulbs for the left display are missing!! Furthermore, the ABS and TC bulbs have been taped over!!!

Some people should be put behind bars.

Moving forward, my mate narrowed the fault to either:

1. The wire between the ECU and ABS module.

2. The ABS module itself.

Going to check the wiring etc next time and hopefully if it's the module we will try and solder any dry joints.

Harvey
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 11:36
The mot tester should have a bit of info on any car they are about to test,with regards what lights light and for how long they come on for to stop this type of thing from going on.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 12:13
Well what's happened, it seems to me, the garage failed the MOT because of the ABS Fault. Then, in order to get it through the MOT and sell the car they have done these horrendous, dangerous cover ups.

It's the same garage that failed, then passed then sold the car to me.

Harvey
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 12:52
Well what's happened, it seems to me, the garage failed the MOT because of the ABS Fault. Then, in order to get it through the MOT and sell the car they have done these horrendous, dangerous cover ups.

I think a chat with them then VOSA,or take it back for a retest when they pass it go round to VOSA and see what they say.

kwk
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 14:55
No matter how much you prepare you can still get caught. I had read about people removing bulbs etc, so when I went to look at my C70, a 400 mile round journey, I was determined to check everything. I was so excited with the rest of the car that I forgot all about the warning lights. I only remembered 100 miles into the return journey. I stopped to check and thankfully they were working.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 15:47
Agreed - I had even checked the online MOT history before I bought the car last year and I knew it had already failed the MOT on ABS but seeing as it then had a 12 month MOT and no dash lights, I assumed all was fine.

In two minds whether to approach them for some sort of rebate... or just report straight to trading standards and VOSA.

Anyway, I suppose that's a separate issue - at least I am 99% there with finding the ABS issue. It just shocks me they would rather go to hassle of removing clocks than throw a second hand unit on there??

Harvey
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 16:10
Agreed - I had even checked the online MOT history before I bought the car last year and I knew it had already failed the MOT on ABS but seeing as it then had a 12 month MOT and no dash lights, I assumed all was fine.

In two minds whether to approach them for some sort of rebate... or just report straight to trading standards and VOSA.

Anyway, I suppose that's a separate issue - at least I am 99% there with finding the ABS issue. It just shocks me they would rather go to hassle of removing clocks than throw a second hand unit on there??

Or get them to retest it.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 18:40
I bought it over a year ago mate, the MOT is no longer an issue other than I have been driving a 'dangerous' car for the past year.

I think a call to trading standards is in order and leave it at that.

thebadger
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 19:35

Not uncommon. (barstewards)

I would assume its the ABS module, the solder can crack on them (mostly through age) IIRC there was a P1 issue on the same part, not fatal or unfixable, but not as easy as most jobs due to it all being a sealed unit to have to be cracked open to do the reasonably easy re-solder.

I think there was a P1 how to on the site, but I might just be assuming that.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 20:32
Not uncommon. (barstewards)

I would assume its the ABS module, the solder can crack on them (mostly through age) IIRC there was a P1 issue on the same part, not fatal or unfixable, but not as easy as most jobs due to it all being a sealed unit to have to be cracked open to do the reasonably easy re-solder.

I think there was a P1 how to on the site, but I might just be assuming that.

Nope I agree - tape over the bulbs is the oldest trick in the book - still a little dangerous where brakes are concerned I think.

Yes, that's what I had read too. I've ordered a second hand module/pump and hopefully that'll cure it. If not, as you say, it's probably dry joints inside the unit that will need re-soldering.

:)