PDA

View Full Version : P2 factory sport suspension???? What??

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 11:56
I thought all P2 V70s of the same age had the same suspension, whether it be a T5, diesel, N/A...

A friend who works for RAC has a sort of Autodata in his van and it listed V70 P2 as either having normal or sport suspension, can anyone explain?

Cheers

graemewelch
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:05
i think it was a optinal extra. could be 4c suspension or the choice of eibach springs. im sure eibach are dealer friendly. could be wrong though

stephenevans99
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:07
It was available as an upgrade....taken from the price list:

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:18
WOW! Not cheap then?

I just wondered because some V70s that I see about look lower than mine - maybe this explains why.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:20
WOW! Not cheap then?

I just wondered because some V70s that I see about look lower than mine - maybe this explains why.

Or they don't have nivomats on the back - it's surprising the difference that makes.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:36
What's nivomats?

Nealevo
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:38
What's nivomats?

Self levelling rear suspension.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 12:39
Dirty great expensive shocks!

Look at yours, if they have a ribbed, rubber sleeve over them, they're nivomats.

I flogged mine for 90 quid with 190K on them lol. Caravan owners love 'em.

stribo
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 13:08
I'd have thought spring and damper rates for a T5 would be different to a N/A 2.4, as they're quite wallowy.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 13:15
I'd have thought spring and damper rates for a T5 would be different to a N/A 2.4, as they're quite wallowy.

I wouldn't know, Plod suspension (rear springs, nivs and arb) is different from standard T5 stuff.

Harvey
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 14:26
It was available as an upgrade....taken from the price list:

My D5 had them fitted sticker said sachs on the shocks.

Al115
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 14:39
I think the V70R even had it as an option (on the 4C shocks).

Put it another way, when I bought new springs for the R from Volvo, they wanted to confirm whether I wanted the sports or normal option.

Harvey
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 14:45
I think the V70R even had it as an option (on the 4C shocks).

Put it another way, when I bought new springs for the R from Volvo, they wanted to confirm whether I wanted the sports or normal option.

The shocks are are a stock size/type but the springs could be different I guess but the "R" are lower than the rest of the range I think buy about 20mm ,so it could be the springs could be longer ?.
As you could order a v70 with the 4c shocks but you didn't get the 3 buttons by the air vents,but one down by the gear lever.

Al115
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 14:57
Yep I think that only the springs varied.

Obviously excluding the self-levelling/nivomats when the rear shocks also changed.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 15:50
Plod spec nivs have a different part number to normal nivs, and have a higher preset ride height.

LiamT4
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 18:51
Is there any way you can tell if car is really a sport version? My car has 17" wheels (no idea what they are called) and definitely isn't lowered (in fact it reminds me of MRP's car before he lowered it), yet unbelievably it says "model: s60 sport" on the V5???

thebadger
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:26
I had Nivos on the back of my car, I chose to lower it with springs & it made almost no difference.

In the end I had to get a set of Koni FSD shocks.

It then stopped looking like its ass was up in the air. It also massively reduced roll.

Not as cheap as buying one with lower suspension as standard, but it made quite a difference to handling & performance (braking and acceleration are far smoother), so not a bad move I felt.

Al115
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:30
Is there any way you can tell if car is really a sport version? My car has 17" wheels (no idea what they are called) and definitely isn't lowered (in fact it reminds me of MRP's car before he lowered it), yet unbelievably it says "model: s60 sport" on the V5???

The "Sport" on the V5 would refer to the trim level. You could have Sport trim with or without the Sport chassis I believe.

M-R-P
Tuesday 12th November 2013, 23:01
I had Nivos on the back of my car, I chose to lower it with springs & it made almost no difference.

In the end I had to get a set of Koni FSD shocks.

It then stopped looking like its ass was up in the air. It also massively reduced roll.

Not as cheap as buying one with lower suspension as standard, but it made quite a difference to handling & performance (braking and acceleration are far smoother), so not a bad move I felt.
Pretty much the same story here - I fitted lowering springs (Apex) and the arse stayed put! fitted sachs rear shocks and it added up to over a 70mm drom on the back! :D

LiamT4
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 21:48
The "Sport" on the V5 would refer to the trim level. You could have Sport trim with or without the Sport chassis I believe.

Cheers. So the sport refers to a bit of fake aluminium trim and possibly the rear wing.........thats classic lol

Al115
Thursday 14th November 2013, 07:58
Cheers. So the sport refers to a bit of fake aluminium trim and possibly the rear wing.........thats classic lol

Disappointing but true - Volvo have let their consumer performance brand drift away from them. They've gone from the R, which had differentiated performance attainable by the man in the street, to the Sport and R-Design models which had more cosmetic changes and less sporting ability, to the Polestars which are really just poster cars. Nothing you could buy today that has the involvement or the special feel of the R range. That's why I was sad to sell my P2 V70R and step into an R-Design!

LeeT5
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 14:35

If you open the bonnet and look at the chassis plate on the o/s wing, there you will see lots of letters and numbers. Cant remember which, but two of the numbers refer to which type of spring your car has.
The long series of letters and numbers in the bottom right corner is what you need to refer to. after 1-, in the second column.

Harvey
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 20:58
If you open the bonnet and look at the chassis plate on the o/s wing, there you will see lots of letters and numbers. Cant remember which, but two of the numbers refer to which type of spring your car has.
The long series of letters and numbers in the bottom right corner is what you need to refer to. after 1-, in the second column.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/volvoidplate_zps9eea97cd.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/harveysr/media/volvoidplate_zps9eea97cd.jpg.html)

LeeT5
Tuesday 19th November 2013, 22:10
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/volvoidplate_zps9eea97cd.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/harveysr/media/volvoidplate_zps9eea97cd.jpg.html)

Its the chassis code in column 'H'.

Take that to Volvo dealer parts dept' and they can tell you whats fitted on your car.