PDA

View Full Version : Strange question about calipers

claymore
Saturday 9th November 2013, 20:54
I need to source a brake caliper with a handbrake mechanism that will bolt onto the front hubs of a Volvo 850, any thoughts, I think the later s40 uses a handbrake but I wonder if there is any chance it will fit onto the 850?

Kingsford G
Saturday 9th November 2013, 20:56
££££roen C5`s have them too.

Nealevo
Saturday 9th November 2013, 20:57
Citroen BX :)

claymore
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:01
there are plenty of calipers out there with handbrake leaver, but I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Nealevo
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:04
I have some brembo S type R rears at work! Any use?

graemewelch
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:09

they dont have a hand brake mech but on another note are they for sale if they are no use to claymore

850 T5s
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:09
iam sure the old saab 99/900s had the handbrake on the front calipers

graemewelch
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:10
I need to source a brake caliper with a handbrake mechanism that will bolt onto the front hubs of a Volvo 850, any thoughts, I think the later s40 uses a handbrake but I wonder if there is any chance it will fit onto the 850?

ive got a c5. i can check the mounting on those if you want. will get sizes and pics to see if its up to the job

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:13
you also need brakes that will actually stop the car too :rotfl:
if your gonna be using ££££run rear calipers up front thats gonna be one ££££e setup colin...

graemewelch
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:16
if your gonna be using ££££run rear calipers up front thats gonna be one ££££e setup colin...

i suspect theres going to be a twin caliper set up.

Nealevo
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:16

he's putting an engine in the boot so it will need a handbrake mech on the front/rear set.

claymore
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:18
Need the hand brake mate, cheers for the offer

ive got a c5. i can check the mounting on those if you want. will get sizes and pics to see if its up to the job

That would be great if you could mate :)

The brakes will still be on the back of the car, just attached to front hubs.

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:20
he's putting an engine in the boot so it will need a handbrake mech on the front/rear set.

i know that but was thinking say its soley that caliper up front stopping 2 300 odd hp engines.....

claymore
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:22
i know that but was thinking say its soley that caliper up front stopping 2 300 odd hp engines.....

it won't be on the front, and you don't need fantastic brakes on the back, the front has Aston Martin 4 pots.

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:23
im with ya now, your pretty much putting a whole 850 front end frame in the rear

claymore
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:24
im with ya now, your pretty much putting a whole 850 front end frame in the rear

Yes :), and I will be very very disappointed if I've only got 300bhp per engine :)

T5RatherAmusin
Saturday 9th November 2013, 21:33
mk2 focus should be an easy and cheap option then me thinks ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 10th November 2013, 09:04

i think you'll find citroen brakes to be some of the best as they work off that green slime suspension

hybriduno
Sunday 10th November 2013, 09:12
citroen brakes may be an issue as I believe they require hydrolastic oil rather than the usual dot 4.

Harvey
Sunday 10th November 2013, 09:14
How's about one of theses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-HYDRAULIC-VERTICAL-DRIFT-RALLY-RACING-HANDBRAKE-E-BRAKE-LEVER-KIT-W-GRIP-A-/321195449776

claymore
Sunday 10th November 2013, 09:25
How's about one of theses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-HYDRAULIC-VERTICAL-DRIFT-RALLY-RACING-HANDBRAKE-E-BRAKE-LEVER-KIT-W-GRIP-A-/321195449776
Can't use hydraulic for the MOT, it has to have a cable.

Harvey
Sunday 10th November 2013, 10:36

I see

smithy
Sunday 10th November 2013, 11:54
Fit a line lock

claymore
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 08:04
How does the handbrake work on a v70r awd?

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 08:28

Apparently this is no longer so with the new changes, as it came up in conversation with a local mechanic the other day whilst working out ideas for the MGB GT5-R

How does the handbrake work on a v70r awd?
same as the rest, badly....lol. seriously it's on the rear, drum within the disc

claymore
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 08:43
wilwood make an electric operated handbrake caliper for kitcars, so if kitcars don't need a cable then it must be true for normal road cars as well.

stribo
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 10:16
Alot of production cars have electric hand brakes now, so a cable isn't mandatory. My understanding is you can have a hydraulic hand brake, but it has to be a separate circuit, I could be wrong though.

Harvey
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 10:52
Apparently this is no longer so with the new changes, as it came up in conversation with a local mechanic the other day whilst working out ideas for the MGB GT5-R

same as the rest, badly....lol. seriously it's on the rear, drum within the disc

Pair of AWD rear hubs then any idear of drive shaft size re splines are they the same as the fronts (that would be to easy )

claymore
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 16:09
I was thinking along the same lines

Harvey
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 16:31

I do know on the phase 2 cars the rear shafts are half the dia of the fronts I guess as max power is 150 bhp on paper that can go through them.

But what size is inside the hub.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 13th November 2013, 16:34

well, there is one here that you can have a look at if you want to gather any info from it mate