PDA

View Full Version : pcv

t5owners dan
Thursday 31st October 2013, 17:36
My 97 v70 t5 has sticking revs as you dip the clutch now iv bin advised that it could be a dirty pvc how hard is it to do at home as iv already changed the icv and bcs and maf iv looked on you tube but all can find a s60 t6 thanks all

M-R-P
Thursday 31st October 2013, 17:44
ME7 cars are easier to do as you don't need to take the inlet manifold off.

First, confirm that it's the PCV by going for a drive, pull over and with the engine running, pull the dipstick out. If you see puffs of white smoke from the dipstick tube, the PCV needs sorting.

Confirm or disprove the PCV and let us know. It's not a hard job to do the PCV but time consuming.

t5owners dan
Thursday 31st October 2013, 22:40
Yes mate it does it on tick over when worm as I let my car worm up before driving with this would it cause the oil level to drop with out any leaking to

M-R-P
Thursday 31st October 2013, 22:42
Possibly, it could be pumping oil into the inlet and burning it off.

Worth removing the spark plug cover to see if any has gotten onto the head.

Harvey
Thursday 31st October 2013, 22:54
does the oil level come back up if left over night as the PCV box can hold oil if the drain is blocked up,or send the oil back to the turbo inlet to get burnt in the engine.
If the PCV is blocked it can stop the turbo oil drain line working as it should and the oil can get passed the turbo shaft seal.

960kg
Friday 1st November 2013, 08:56
If it helps you, i have just done the PCV on my `97 V70 T5 with 162,000

It smoked very slightly on removal of the dipstick and there was oil leakage along the front flanges of the sump. There was also a smell of smokey exhaust under the bonnet after a run but my hot idle was not affected. It also smoked out the exhaust after 10min hot idle.

After i replaced it all...the smoking dipstick stopped and the smelly fumes under the bonnet stopped the leaking flanges have stopped.

The smoke on idle after 10mins was the turbo oil seal and i have just replaced the turbo so no smoke anywhere now.

The engine revs and runs much smoother and is more willing now so it did a lot of good changing the PCV system.

All drivers are different but one should start the motor and drive carefully straight away and not let it idle to warm up. It will get to temp. quicker by driving and also the cold starting mode will turn off quicker.

I only filled my engine with oil at the 3/4 mark on the dipstick until i had time to do the PCV and it helped the symptoms a lot.

Rudeyboy18
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzkZ_f3Y3s

I used this Video for my 98 V70 R.

Took about an hour.

Rudeyboy18
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:31
Only different is the to realease the fuel pressure you undo the blue cap at end of fuel rail and press it like a tyre valve

Rudeyboy18
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:32
And if you check their channel they have many Volvo tutorial videos

t5owners dan
Friday 1st November 2013, 13:52
i have got a bit of oil under the cover just priced up all the parts from volvo just going to wait for them to be instock thanks for all the advice its much appreciated

Biff
Friday 1st November 2013, 14:34
i have got a bit of oil under the cover just priced up all the parts from volvo just going to wait for them to be instock thanks for all the advice its much appreciated

I used partsforvolvos for my bits, they came in at a good price I found. It will make a difference on mine, drove much smoother.
As said it's not that difficult.