PDA

View Full Version : G W Exhausts 3" DP

expolicev70t5
Thursday 31st October 2013, 17:04
Well after chatting with Graeme following seeing his post on the forum for his new down pipes I ordered a 3" stainless DP with 100 cell cat.

About 20 mins ago it arrived, just need to arrange to get it fitted now, but looks a stunning bit of kit and spot on quality, I was originally going to go for a feritta down pipe but when I saw Graemes thread I changed my mind, at half the price of the feritta and quality looks as good as my ferrita cat back system.

I will add to this tread once fitted to let you all know how it performs but at present I am very happy :D

ajc106
Thursday 31st October 2013, 19:33
Very nice looking bit of kit dose Graeme do one for the 850 at all if so what sort of money is he looking for

stribo
Thursday 31st October 2013, 19:36
We've got one like that, but it's got a 200 cell cat, and hasn't got a GWExhaust tag.

expolicev70t5
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:19
Well today I got the downpipe fitted, its been about three weeks since I got it, and has been very frustrating seeing it in the garage every time I get the car out. Today was the soonest my mate could fit me in on his ramps.
Well now it's fitted I'm very pleased I'll post some picks on Monday when I get back to work pc. I will also try do a video of what it sounds like. Guys at the garage all commented on the quality of the downpipe and we're very surprised when I said it was someone from the forum that had made it, cheers Graeme top quality item. Well the down pipe fitted perfectly everything lined up and fitted just as it should, as I said I wI'll post picks Monday. The 3"downpipe with 100 cell cat is connected to my ferritta cat back system, sound is just as I had hoped with the ferritta it was a nice burbble the down pipe has just made the sound a slightly deeper sound.
Under load when accelerating hard you hear the turbo whistle which is quite nice. Performance is where it shocked me, the down pipe and cat seem to make a big difference, I get torque steer which wasn't there before but boy the way it picks up is amazing when you give it some is greatly improved, didn't think dp would have made that much differance.
My only comment which would be constructive criticism for Graeme is on the existing Volvo do there is a small metal strap that the lands sensor wire fixes to which isn't on the new do there fore the wire was self tapped to the edge of the heat shield so wasn't a problem, maybe this is something that could be added to future dp's?
All in all very pleased.
Only thing now is I found an oil leak from rocker cover that is trickling onto turbo which I need to sort

merc85
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:23
What a superb looking Downpipe, nice to see something made properly these days . :)

stribo
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:29
What a superb looking Downpipe, nice to see something made properly these days . :)

It is a beautiful bit of kit Gav, we've got one ready to go on the R.

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:38
Very nice

graemewelch
Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:49
Well today I got the downpipe fitted, its been about three weeks since I got it, and has been very frustrating seeing it in the garage every time I get the car out. Today was the soonest my mate could fit me in on his ramps.
Well now it's fitted I'm very pleased I'll post some picks on Monday when I get back to work pc. I will also try do a video of what it sounds like. Guys at the garage all commented on the quality of the downpipe and we're very surprised when I said it was someone from the forum that had made it, cheers Graeme top quality item. Well the down pipe fitted perfectly everything lined up and fitted just as it should, as I said I wI'll post picks Monday. The 3"downpipe with 100 cell cat is connected to my ferritta cat back system, sound is just as I had hoped with the ferritta it was a nice burbble the down pipe has just made the sound a slightly deeper sound.
Under load when accelerating hard you hear the turbo whistle which is quite nice. Performance is where it shocked me, the down pipe and cat seem to make a big difference, I get torque steer which wasn't there before but boy the way it picks up is amazing when you give it some is greatly improved, didn't think dp would have made that much differance.
My only comment which would be constructive criticism for Graeme is on the existing Volvo do there is a small metal strap that the lands sensor wire fixes to which isn't on the new do there fore the wire was self tapped to the edge of the heat shield so wasn't a problem, maybe this is something that could be added to future dp's?
All in all very pleased.
Only thing now is I found an oil leak from rocker cover that is trickling onto turbo which I need to sort

exactly the kind of feedback im always looking for. ideas on how to improve things. cause good id never good enough. ill look into getting somthing designed for the harness, ive been thinking about that for a while and as soon as ive got somthing il send you one to. its somthing ive been thinking about for a while now. overall im glad you are happy though. its always great to hear positive feedback and makes it all worth while. im achieving exactly what i wanted to do. build high quality uprated parts for sensible money. i agree with you about the difference the down pipe makes. apart from a remap its the best bang for your buck by a long way.

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 09:08
Heres a couple of before pics with the old down pipe and CAT

As I said bit of a leak somewhere, looks like it was from rocker cover gasket, I guess this is my nest job to sort.

And now after

I will also try and upload a couple of videos so you can see what it sounds like.

M-R-P
Monday 25th November 2013, 09:40
Nice. Did the studs on the turbo housing put up much of a fight getting them off?
it's something that bothers me about changing the DP, bust one of those studs and you're in a world of 5h1t.

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:07
Supprisingly no they came undone quite easily, witch I was quite supprised about, especially after hearing Graeme say he had sheared off one of his studs to the turbo and had to retap it when he did his.
I had same worries as you about breaking a stud, but I had to drive 30 miles to mates garage to use his ramps so every thing was quite warm and not cold and brittle that might be what made the differance. mind you I drove it the 30 miles staying under 2000rpm to try and keep it off the turbo as didnt fancy singed fingers, even so it still got quite warm

stribo
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:07
Nice. Did the studs on the turbo housing put up much of a fight getting them off?
it's something that bothers me about changing the DP, bust one of those studs and you're in a world of 5h1t.

With your track record they're bound to break.;)

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:15
Martin any tips on uploading videos? as tried to upload from my phone a couple of times now to photobucket and it seems to fail every time

stribo
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:18
Upload it to You Tube, photobucket is rubbish for bids.

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:18
Will give it ago cheers Stribo

V70 Graham
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:26
Upload it to You Tube, photobucket is rubbish for bids.

eBay's quite good for bids lol

M-R-P
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:31
Martin any tips on uploading videos? as tried to upload from my phone a couple of times now to photobucket and it seems to fail every time

If you have an android phone, you'll already have the youtube app. Just sign in with your google account details (if you have a google account, it might sign you in automatically) then just open the vid and click the share icon and select youtube.

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:34
http://youtu.be/QPn6woIoGLo
See if this works :rolling_e

M-R-P
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:41
Sounds good dude.

I can't put the camera within 15 feet of my exhaust because it's too loud and distorts the audio lol.

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:43
Lol mine was abou 2 feet away, as I said it has a lovely deep burbble but not too loud (must be getting old)

JamesT5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:45
What are the advantages to these pipes and how does the car pass the emissions test with the catalytic converter removed?

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:45
http://youtu.be/Kd1mor9xVII

You will have to excuse the shoes lol, slipped my daughters crocs on just to pop out to garage, not my usual atire

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 10:47
What are the advantages to these pipes and how does the car pass the emissions test with the catalytic converter removed?

Car still has a CAT fitted, its just one that is less restrictive so sould go through MOT with no problem, the 3" down pipe and sport cat just help get the gasses away quicker which allows turbo to spool up quicker, resulting quicker acceleration

silverhorse
Monday 25th November 2013, 13:09
NICE. Burble without being too loud. Looks nice and shiny under there too!! That looks like a cracking bit of fabbing Greame.
All OK with the O2 sensor? No EML lights or any other sillyness?

stribo
Monday 25th November 2013, 13:09
eBay's quite good for bids lol

damn autocorrect

expolicev70t5
Monday 25th November 2013, 13:13
All good no warning lights, just as it should be, just fitted lamda censors off old dp into new works great very happy, would recomend Graemes kit to anyone plus its such a reasonable price compared to others which is why I got the down pipe before I had intended to