PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Auto T5 how strong are the gearboxs

Nutternick
Sunday 27th October 2013, 17:56
As per title how strong are the auto boxs in these i had to sell my t5 manual and get an auto for the wife

T5frankie
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:06
very strong if you leave them alone

Nealevo
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:09
^^^^^ yeah what he said ^^^^

Nutternick
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:13
not planning on touching the gearbox apart from maybe changing the fluid but will squeezing a few more ponies out of the engine and was just wondering how they coped

T5frankie
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:19
not planning on touching the gearbox apart from maybe changing the fluid but will squeezing a few more ponies out of the engine and was just wondering how they coped

with an auto i would get an off the shelf map and leave it there mate

merc85
Sunday 27th October 2013, 18:47
A remapped ecu killed my 850 auto in 24 hrs lol

AndysR
Sunday 27th October 2013, 21:14
There are a couple of guys over the pond running well in excess of 300 bhp, think one of them has his car producing 350 whp with a GT series turbo. He's retrofitted the auxiliary oil cooler that Volvo produced as an option and fitted an inline exterior oil filter too. 90 something percent of auto gearbox failures is due to poor fluid. The key to any autobox survival is fluid quality, change frequency and temperature. Change it regularly, use a good quality fluid and don't let it overheat and you will give it the best chance of survival.

LiamT4
Saturday 2nd November 2013, 14:33
From what I've read the main reason auto boxes fail is through poor maintenance and/or power starting. As long as its looked after, an off the shelf map will be fine and if you fit the auxiliary cooler then you should be able to run more.

WOODY T5
Saturday 2nd November 2013, 14:42
with an auto i would get an off the shelf map and leave it there mateyeah cause you might beat frankie on the 1/4mile runs lol

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd November 2013, 14:58
yeah cause you might beat frankie on the 1/4mile runs lol

you do know i got 2nd fastest forum 850 this year don't you? lol

WOODY T5
Saturday 2nd November 2013, 15:32
^^^Oh dear^^^^

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd November 2013, 15:50
^^^Oh dear^^^^

it's all i've got mate lol

AndysR
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 15:39

How fast is the 2nd fastest 850 this year then?

cherry1809
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 17:10
Lol. Why though? Why is it soooo important to be that quick? I'm not digging I just haven't been up the strip... Ever.
I can give you my shopping list if you want, then you can give me a guestimate of a quarter... As long as I'm happy with the power I'll be, well, happy. :)

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 17:58

I've got the second fastest C70, and Rachel's got the second fastest S60. ;)

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 17:59
Lol. Why though? Why is it soooo important to be that quick? I'm not digging I just haven't been up the strip... Ever.
I can give you my shopping list if you want, then you can give me a guestimate of a quarter... As long as I'm happy with the power I'll be, well, happy. :)

It's a hobby mate, some people go fishing, we go drag racing. :)

V70 Graham
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:02

Even I've been to 2 drag meets this year......imho everybody who has a chance should try it.

oblark
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:10

Go fishing and come back with some fish.................... go drag racing and come back with a broken gearbox.

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:17
Go fishing and come back with some fish.................... go drag racing and come back with a broken gearbox.

Not guaranteed to catch fish, and our gearboxes are fine. :D

merc85
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:22
How fast is the 2nd fastest 850 this year then?

Terminal speed wise or time lmfao ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:26
Terminal speed wise or time lmfao ;)

lol, and faster than yours will ever be auto andy

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:27
Not guaranteed to catch fish, and our gearboxes are fine. :D

only cos your cars have no torque lol

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:29

it isn't unless your one of the 1/4 milers, and you cant guess cos talent plays a big factor

cherry1809
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:33
I can launch (and lunch) just fine :)

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:35
I can launch (and lunch) just fine :)

neal test drives for jaguar and has a proven 300bhp but has yet to get below 15 seconds, its not easy, get to one of the meets next year mate, (have aa cover though lol)

cherry1809
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:54
Think it's on the cards bud...
It's a case of now or after I fit... Ooh, nearly... Lol.

AndysR
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:54
lol, and faster than yours will ever be auto andy

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to say, I'm guessing your saying that yours is faster than mine on both counts because mines auto? Won't be doing another 1/4 mile event in mine so I guess your right it always will be now ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:55
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to say, I'm guessing your saying that yours is faster than mine on both counts because mines auto? Won't be doing another 1/4 mile event in mine so I guess your right it always will be now ;)

not much of a bite but hey ho lol, shame you wont be though, although never say never

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:56
only cos your cars have no torque lol

I can still get a 14.5 sec run in the C70 with no torque. :P

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:56

what epileptic? be careful then mate lol

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:57
I can still get a 14.5 sec run in the C70 with no torque. :P

if your happy with that then thats great lol

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:58

doesnt matter what turbo you fit, dave and jim have yet to make big turbos work.....unless its nitrous lol

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:59
if your happy with that then thats great lol

There's a lot more to come yet, car isn't far from standard engine wise, and you didn't think it would get under 15. As you say, Neal can't get under 15 in his, so for a first season I think it's done well.

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:00
There's a lot more to come yet, car isn't far from standard engine wise, and you didn't think it would get under 15. As you say, Neal can't get under 15 in his, so for a first season I think it's done well.

if i just agreed with everything you said it would get very boring lol

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:04
if i just agreed with everything you said it would get very boring lol

Lol, yeah, and nowhere near as many threads would go off topic. ;)

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:07
Lol, yeah, and nowhere near as many threads would go off topic. ;)

thats correct, i havn't had an arguement on here for ages lol

stribo
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:10
You don't seem to have been on so much recently, MRP will be overtaking your post count soon. lol

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:13
You don't seem to have been on so much recently, MRP will be overtaking your post count soon. lol

been busy with the new house and the 850r, i can always up my drivvle content lol

smithy
Sunday 3rd November 2013, 21:28
I cannot wait till next season watching again lol .no way driving baby lol

cherry1809
Monday 4th November 2013, 06:18
Big turbo? Who said I was going big?
What sizes are the top 5 all time, times using?

Kingsford G
Monday 4th November 2013, 15:21
There are a couple of guys over the pond running well in excess of 300 bhp, think one of them has his car producing 350 whp with a GT series turbo. He's retrofitted the auxiliary oil cooler that Volvo produced as an option and fitted an inline exterior oil filter too. 90 something percent of auto gearbox failures is due to poor fluid. The key to any autobox survival is fluid quality, change frequency and temperature. Change it regularly, use a good quality fluid and don't let it overheat and you will give it the best chance of survival.
Keeping shy about yr set up power Andy?:)