PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler mounted

oblark
Sunday 27th October 2013, 13:11
As it was dry this morning I started on mounting the intercooler to the N/A radiator ready for installation.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/20131027_111011.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/20131027_111011.jpg.html)

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/20131027_110959.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/oblark/media/volvo%20850%20t5/20131027_110959.jpg.html)

AndysR
Sunday 27th October 2013, 13:46
Bet you can't wait to get it fitted and trialled, I would strongly advise you to get the engine checked for det and afr readings after having one fitted they do make quite a difference...

Jim S70R
Sunday 27th October 2013, 13:51
Looks good, Bet your itching to have it fitted and drive the car! I'm not jealous at all:cussing:

V70 Graham
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:20
Do they make THAT much difference.....I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it tbh

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:35
Do they make THAT much difference.....I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it tbh

I'll buy it if you don't want it graham! ;) The original intercooler has a large surface area & not a lot of volume. That bad boy will make a hell of a difference when the boost is up.
I'm not having Martin will carry out the job without losing coolant or refrigerant though, I don't see how you can keep your aircon tbh.
Looking well rob, will look even better when you have it all in with the new engine & box. :)

oblark
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:40
I`m on the understanding on a lightly modded car there wont be any difference , cooling is same or negligible in difference until you start REALLY crankin out some BHP

V70 Graham
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:42
I`m on the understanding on a lightly modded car there wont be any difference , cooling is same or negligible in difference until you start REALLY crankin out some BHP

So at my 280 (ish) bhp I'm not really gonna see a massive difference then :redface:

oblark
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:44
So at my 280 (ish) bhp I'm not really gonna see a massive difference then :redface:

Graham you mis-typed your BHP :)

V70 Graham
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:48
Graham you mis-typed your BHP :)

270-280 bhp (Can't be far off)

merc85
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:52
270-280 bhp (Can't be far off)

i thought you had it on a dyno?

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:56
Maybe not get anymore gains but certainly improve on efficiency of cooling which let's face it on a tuned high performance turbo engine is never a bad thing. Inlet temps would drop bigger on the open road & I reckon more dense air therefore more power. It would be hard to replicate that air passing through it on a r/r so reckon the gains are argue able.
Past turbo cars have enjoyed more boost with bigger intercoolers. :)

merc85
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:58
the original intercooler split when they get old and spray oil everywhere, And the alloy unit looks so much nicer. I think its a well worth mod. so much i bought and fitted one a while ago ;)

V70 Graham
Sunday 27th October 2013, 19:59
i thought you had it on a dyno?

I have mate, last Feb it was 257 bhp since then I've had a different (RICA 310) map along with new tcv and recirc valve along with turbo to maf pipework etc

It certainly feels more than the 257 bhp now.

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 27th October 2013, 20:29
Mines getting done this Tuesday. AC removed intercooler fitted, service , codes read and Smoke test . Looking forward to it.

V70 Graham
Sunday 27th October 2013, 20:37
Mines getting done this Tuesday. AC removed intercooler fitted, service , codes read and Smoke test . Looking forward to it.

Make sure you let us all know how you get on.

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 20:54

A/c removed permanent?

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 27th October 2013, 20:58
Will do, Im hoping Oblark fits his tomorrow so we get some feedback :-). Grahem, when I was tuning my Saab they have a similar sized intercooler which were used on there 170 lpts and 260 HOT aero models. So my standard cooler was fine upto about 300. But when I fitted the the bigger cooler at that point I noticed boost didn't drop off and it picked up better. Then when I went to the next stage the Uprated cooler was an essential part of that stage of tuning stage 5 340hp :-) . But this was is literally double the power of when rolled out the factory as a lpt 170hp car lol , so that cooler had to go

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 27th October 2013, 21:00
A/c removed permanent?

Yes. MRG Volvo are doing it all for 140. That includes new shorted belt too. I've literally never used the AC on the Volvo, or any of my cars tbh. Atleast the new cooler will be showing through the grill with it removed

oblark
Sunday 27th October 2013, 21:07
Will do, Im hoping Oblark fits his tomorrow so we get some feedback :-). Grahem, when I was tuning my Saab they have a similar sized intercooler which were used on there 170 lpts and 260 HOT aero models. So my standard cooler was fine upto about 300. But when I fitted the the bigger cooler at that point I noticed boost didn't drop off and it picked up better. Then when I went to the next stage the Uprated cooler was an essential part of that stage of tuning stage 5 340hp :-) . But this was is literally double the power of when rolled out the factory as a lpt 170hp car lol , so that cooler had to go

Mine`s not getting fitted until the shortened aux belt turns up as I`m also doing away with the air con :)

Rudeyboy18
Sunday 27th October 2013, 21:09
Mine`s not getting fitted until the shortened aux belt turns up as I`m also doing away with the air con :)

Lets hope it turns up tomorrow then :-)

AndysR
Sunday 27th October 2013, 21:27

It will make a difference and you'll avoid blowing the end tanks off the standard cooler and then almost breaking down due to the huge air leak it creates. The det and afr's will depend on the map you have. Tbh my car is custom mapped so if you like a little more finely tuned, the off the shelf maps being generic and designed to go on most vehicles of "good health" there is an element of safety mapped into it so not so finely tuned. When my brother and I went to a rolling road a while back my afrs were slightly higher than my brothers, his being a stage 2 Rica and I'm pretty sure of most Rica'd cars they do tend to be slightly richer than necessary so you'll probably be fine, it's just a little bit of advice get it checked when you can just to be safe that's all ;)

I'll buy it if you don't want it graham! ;) The original intercooler has a large surface area & not a lot of volume. That bad boy will make a hell of a difference when the boost is up.
I'm not having Martin will carry out the job without losing coolant or refrigerant though, I don't see how you can keep your aircon tbh.
Looking well rob, will look even better when you have it all in with the new engine & box. :)

With the 50mm core intercoolers you can definitely keep the a/c if you want too ;)

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 22:05
My belt is on it's way from pfv hopefully with a new bulkhead mount. No intercooler for me as of yet, but hopefully soon.
Agreed on the aircon, I never use it & it's knackered anyway so I've done away with it for space & weight.

oblark
Monday 28th October 2013, 20:34
This is for anyone who will be fitting the intercoolers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elise-VX220-Bodywork-Clam-Shell-Radiator-Clips-Spire-Nut-m6-6mm-C-Clip-x-10-Pack-/171015000530?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d149d1d2

These replace the old volvo ones :)

stribo
Monday 28th October 2013, 21:39
This is for anyone who will be fitting the intercoolers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elise-VX220-Bodywork-Clam-Shell-Radiator-Clips-Spire-Nut-m6-6mm-C-Clip-x-10-Pack-/171015000530?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d149d1d2

These replace the old volvo ones :)

Just ordered mine thanks Rob.

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 29th October 2013, 19:43
To report back. My Intercooler is fitted, AC removed and full service done. I can report I have noticed huge difference in pick up and boost. Its abit more aggressive than before as it picks up a lot earlier and a lot harder. The boost needle now FLIES across to 18psi and holds longer. The only thing is ...... Wheels spin in 1st, 2nd is imminent , also in 3rd off round abouts if your on boost as you come off. A lot more fun in my opinion.

Think I seriously need to get a custom map asap as my ECU was programmed for a standard car, yet I have changed loads since. Just waiting for Grahem Welch's custom AWD 3in Down pipes and im sorted.

The engine bay looks better and I love the view of the IC through the bonnet and bumper grill. Its looks like I have a custom FMIC. Will do some pics in the light. Very happy.

Oh also , my lamda light is now off and no code showing for running lean. :-)

JT
Tuesday 29th October 2013, 21:04

I have an after market IC on the race car, slightly larger than these ones, but could feel a noticeable difference, didn't need any gauges to see/feel the difference. :)

Rudeyboy18
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:14
Pictures as Promised

Sorry for the rain. Was about to fit all my Mikalor clamps and clean engine. Also fit new hoses and Rad grill to my Fz6. But the rain has made me come in for a cuppa

M-R-P
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:25
nice, looks good behind the grille

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 1st November 2013, 11:28
really nice mate. glad u like it.

stribo
Friday 1st November 2013, 12:04
Looking good, can't wait to get mine fitted.

Biff
Friday 1st November 2013, 13:05
Ooooh I'm liking that. Can't wait to have mine tucked up behind my egg crate. I'm gonna have to move my horns too.
Did it just drop straight in?

Rudeyboy18
Friday 1st November 2013, 13:43
Ooooh I'm liking that. Can't wait to have mine tucked up behind my egg crate. I'm gonna have to move my horns too.
Did it just drop straight in?

Not sure. But not due to Intercooler. I asked for AC to be removed and the Volvo tech's had a night mare removing it all etc and things seized and pipes snapped etc. Cooler looks like its meant to be where it is if you get what I mean. Got lots more space removing the AC and now im tiding up the wires etc as now I can move them all underneath the slam panel. I moved my horn next to the battery. Quite easy to move the wiring etc.

Biff
Friday 1st November 2013, 14:27
I've removed my rad & loads of pipe work. Still have a few bits left but I'm working my way around tidying wiring etc myself. It's never ending though & I need it back on the road now so will do it bit by bit over the winter.