PDA

View Full Version : turbos

t5owners dan
Sunday 27th October 2013, 00:18
Hi all iv been looking around for ages for a t18 or t19 turbo and could not find one but i phoned universal turbos up and they said they could upgrade the t16 to be the same spec as a t18 i am tempted to do this but at the back of my mind iv always wanted to forge it but its looking like thats going to cost ££££££s. if i could get it over 310 bhp at the wheels i would be happy with that can any one help me with this please thanks

p.s im also looking for a inlet mani and throttle body as mines seams to be sticking when the clutch is dipped thanks all danny

volvo v70 t5 1997 R reg

p fandango
Sunday 27th October 2013, 00:37
310whp is going some, & doubt you'd get it from an 18t (even with a 19t your going to need alot of engine mods with it)

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 07:18
Depends on how much you want to spend fella. You'll find that people on eBay etc will claim massive figures off a Map & such mods but it's utter bullocks.
Don't be confused by the map names either, a Rica 310 will not give you 310bhp nor will a Hlm 304 give you 304bhp. Most the lads on here don't tend to chase bhp figures as every rolling road & operator can blag the results. The figures they get they use as a gauge but truth is it's all about the temps & conditions on the roads. Your never gonna replicate the airflow on the open road with a fan.
Personally I'd start with the basic stage 0 tune & then go from there. It will be a long road to 310whp as a few of the bigger power boys will testify.
Don't forget it's torque that turns wheels though. ;)

t5owners dan
Sunday 27th October 2013, 08:18
Hi biff I got kicked out of t5d5 as I said the same thing mate 304 from rica is a flywheel reading from a perfect engine on a engine dyno up to yet I have a hlm map and exhuast, cat back is it worth just putting in forged conrods mate

T5frankie
Sunday 27th October 2013, 08:22
Hi biff I got kicked out of t5d5 as I said the same thing mate 304 from rica is a flywheel reading from a perfect engine on a engine dyno up to yet I have a hlm map and exhuast, cat back is it worth just putting in forged conrods mate

you will never get 304bhp out of a 15g or a 16t mate no matter how perfect the engine is

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 08:54
If it were me mate I'd forget about figures & concentrate on the tuning. First port of call I'd go for a turbo, down pipe & exhaust. The exhaust wants to be 3" from the turbo back ideally. I struggled to get a 3" system as mine is awd & your never going to fit it in. Lol
My advice would be to speak to Graeme welch on here as he has made a few phat systems. I have a 18t which I'm planning on sticking with as I don't have the time or money to chase big figures. ;) The capacity difference between an 18t & a 19t is a lot as is a k24 off a ph2. You could always go down the custom manifold & stick a hybrid turbo on?!
If your replacing the turbo you might be better going for an s60r manifold as they seem to get good figures. On the intake side of things you want a 3" throttle body off an n/a 850 or 960 I think have them, you will then need a 3" rip kit, maf to turbo pipe & a bigger intercooler, the Volvo cooler has good surface area but the actual volume isn't much at all.
Fuelling you will need blue injectors, a 3.8 bar reg, walbro 255 pump & of course a custom map as off the shelf won't give you the correct gains.
You'll need a boost controller of some sort, most use forge UNOs or electronic boost controllers but the more boost you run the more likely you are to bend rods so yeah
A forged bottom end will help.
Problem will be putting that power down & stopping/going around bends so suggest some decent stoppers, a diff & coil overs.
Second hand parts are available, you just need to look hard. Lol
Hope this helps a bit with the route. Sure if I've forgotten anything someone will remind me. ;)

p fandango
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:01
you want a 3" throttle body off an n/a 850 or 960 I think have them
its the 960 3litre with the 3" throttle body, i believe the 850 NA intake manifold is already ported for it

i'm waiting delivery of a 20t housing :)

Nealevo
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:27
Dan, as said above you will struggle to get 310 without serious mods, I have 18t, 3"DP with race cat, full exhaust system, 3"TB, blue injectors and a turbo tuner ECU and I run 300bhp on a good day, you may need rods but it's not a given as the quickest car on the forum is still on standard rods (Barsteward) just start at the basics and work your way up, get the willy waving pub figure out of your head and get the car running well and setup correctly, then tweak!!

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:30
Oh bugger, am I right in thinking the 850 n/a is a larger body?
I need you boys to steer me in the right direction.. I'm still an amateur I'm finding. Lol

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:33
Dan, as said above you will struggle to get 310 without serious mods, I have 18t, 3"DP with race cat, full exhaust system, 3"TB, blue injectors and a turbo tuner ECU and I run 300bhp on a good day, you may need rods but it's not a given as the quickest car on the forum is still on standard rods (Barsteward) just start at the basics and work your way up, get the willy waving pub figure out of your head and get the car running well and setup correctly, then tweak!!

That made me chuckle! Lol
Woody has got off lightly with that one, his map must be awesome or volvo casting plant must've been having a very good day when his rods were cast. Lol

p fandango
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:36
Oh bugger, am I right in thinking the 850 n/a is a larger body?
I need you boys to steer me in the right direction.. I'm still an amateur I'm finding. Lol
i think the 850 is the same size but doesn't have the plastic wedge on the flap

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:43
i think the 850 is the same size but doesn't have the plastic wedge on the flap

I've come across the wedge before on my xe engine, I removed the wedge & soft soldered the holes & gained a bit or it felt like it.
A 20t turbo? Never even heard of it Pedro?! What's that on?

p fandango
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:57
A 20t turbo? Never even heard of it Pedro?! What's that on?
originally used on Dodge Caliber, but Kinugawa do a housing to convert a 19t LINK (http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/turbocompressorhousingvolvos70850td04td04hl19t-1.aspx) (just need the matching wheel then LINK (http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawaturbocompressorbilletwheel20ttd04hl08-09dodgecalibersrt-449389-01761taller66blades-1.aspx))

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 09:59
originally used on Dodge Caliber, but Kinugawa do a housing to convert a 19t LINK (http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/turbocompressorhousingvolvos70850td04td04hl19t-1.aspx) (just need the matching wheel then)
Will you have room? Lol

p fandango
Sunday 27th October 2013, 10:01
Will you have room? Lol
i don't think the housing is any bigger as the exducer side of the compressor wheel is the same size as a 19t, if not i'll make it fit lol

Biff
Sunday 27th October 2013, 10:05
i don't think the housing is any bigger as the exducer side of the compressor wheel is the same size as a 19t, if not i'll make it fit lol
That's the way, get your grinder out!! Lol
Dan just thought with your throttle sticking, have you cleaned it out along with the idle control valve? Also if the revs are staying high that can sometimes be linked to a dirty pcv positive crank case ventilation system that blocks & plays havoc with all kinds as I'm still finding out....

merc85
Sunday 27th October 2013, 13:17
you will never get 304bhp out of a 15g or a 16t mate no matter how perfect the engine is

i think t5kerry on voc got 300bhp from a 15g

t5owners dan
Sunday 27th October 2013, 16:07
thanks to you all for this info iv bin looking though the car history iv changed the idle control valve boost solenoid and the maf this year it has not had the pcv done ill look in to that one i have bin on rsi international on paul McKissick and found rods for the whiteblock at $89.99 a rod so may have to have some of them thank you all again