PDA

View Full Version : Most powerfull 850 in the UK?

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 07:42
So is the Peril the most powerful 850 in the uk, and if so what power did it eventualy produce, just want to know what I'm aiming for....lol

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 07:50
the last figures i saw were 591bhp

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 07:56
the last figures i saw were 591bhp

Well, if that's the most powerful, I should be at least 150bhp more by this time next year, which should easily make up for the extra weight.

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:06
What are you up to now you loonatic?!?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:21
That must be a typo.....mustn't it ? You can't mean over 700bhp.....can you ?

Harvey
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:22
Are we still talking with a Volvo engine, including the V8 one.

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:23
That must be a typo.....mustn't it ? You can't mean over 700bhp.....can you ?

It would explain the need for an AWD box.
The peril's power came in one huge, uncontrollable lump from what I've read. All that grunt through the front wheels is just gonna lead to a big cloud of smoke.

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:32
Well, if that's the most powerful, I should be at least 150bhp more by this time next year, which should easily make up for the extra weight.

You will have to hold on to your hat :cool:

Harvey
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:35
It would explain the need for an AWD box.
The peril's power came in one huge, uncontrollable lump from what I've read. All that grunt through the front wheels is just gonna lead to a big cloud of smoke.

Could be a twin-engine set up ?.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:37
This one??

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/projects-40/797657-my-volvo-854-t5-r-591-hp-project.html

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:40
^^^^^^^What Harvey said^^^^^^ the lessons learned from the Volvaxo will be implemented in my car, tax runs out at the end of November, so the new project will begin :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:43
Oh this should be good.

One question tho Colin... With another engine in the boot, where are you gonna sleep?

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 08:46
Oh this should be good.

One question tho Colin... With another engine in the boot, where are you gonna sleep?

I have been practicing with a tent :)

Nealevo
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 09:33
Can't wait for this to start, my brother used to own dubsport and had 3 twin engines cars mk1 golf mk2 Rallye and a mk4 gti all vr6 supercharged absolutely mental.. Good luck.

Biff
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 09:39
My old boss Jeff Seddon owns big dub the twin engined vr6 turbo beast.
That's running over 800bhp & I will never go in a car that fast ever again.
Very clever on the gear linkages etc & hydraulic clutch mechanism. I never understood why the rear engine bump started though.
I'll never forget the change up on full boost in 3rd to 4th, felt like a smack it the back of the head when the bov went off behind my ear.
Awesome Colin, really looking forward to seeing this!!
Twin engined & both engines twin charged?

T5frankie
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 10:49
Nutter, still won't beat a 14.7 lol

oblark
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:17
591 bhp was done with one engine and a turbo, so having two engines that are turbocharged and supercharged doesn't count.

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:30
Weather it counts or not, I wanna see it mate :D

graemewelch
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:50
this is going to be one of the best projects on here. if i can help with any of the fabrication stuff let me know.

Immingham
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:52

Agreed! I need to see this done :B_thumb:

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:58

Same, will be following with interest.
:)

stribo
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:04
Me too.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:22
Can't wait for this to start, my brother used to own dubsport and had 3 twin engines cars mk1 golf mk2 Rallye and a mk4 gti all vr6 supercharged absolutely mental.. Good luck.

awsome neal ! i remember all those cars well.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:24
regardless, we are still so far behind sweden to what they have achieved with a volvo engine :snail:

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:32
Cat's out the bag now then, It will be a fantastic project and with plenty of the well known 'Claymore creativeness' thrown in no doubt !! Picking up the V70 next week so if there's anything else you might need off it Colin, just let me know mate

Jim S70R
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 13:05
Yeah I'd say that the peril is still the most powerful Volvo in the uk, last figure was 591bhp. After having the pleasure of being out in this car I can certainly say its proper quick, the power is delivered across the rev range and believe it or not the grip is really impressive for a near enough 600bhp front wheel drive car, but then again that's a good example of a good suspension and tyre setup!!

V70 Graham
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 13:12
Yeah I'd say that the peril is still the most powerful Volvo in the uk, last figure was 591bhp. After having the pleasure of being out in this car I can certainly say its proper quick, the power is delivered across the rev range and believe it or not the grip is really impressive for a near enough 600bhp front wheel drive car, but then again that's a good example of a good suspension and tyre setup!!

Also a fairly hefty budget.....I just hope the 'bean can' makes an appearance in the build somewhere lol

don kalmar union
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 16:01
From memory the earliest 'most powerful' 850 was built by Stuart Williams from Hertsay in Kent maybe some 10 years ago now, then came RT Mechanics attempt and latterly Tim Williams has developed his own and others' cars into the 400 bhp area, which all apparently run faultlessly.

Don.

T5frankie
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 16:03

that 591bhp figure wasnt just on pump petrol though, think it was around 530bhp

V70 Graham
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 16:12

Is that all.....

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 16:22
i actually thought they were at less than 500 if you read the build thread on pump fuel, and it went to 550 on race fuel ? maybe that was the first lot of testing.

who cares anyway lets not split hairs - we can all shut up until we have 500 as well.

Harvey
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 17:30
So how the engine's going to layed out
1. one for the front & one for rear
2. both linked together e.g end on end flywheel to lower crank pulley linked inline then RWD set up. i would think alot less hassle to set up.

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 18:00
So how the engine's going to layed out
1. one for the front & one for rear
2. both linked together e.g end on end flywheel to lower crank pulley linked inline then RWD set up. i would think alot less hassle to set up.

No much simpler than that, one engine in the front, one engine in the back, with a common throttle cable and clutch and a quick release system for the gear linkage (so that either engine can be run interdependently of each other)

hybriduno
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 18:14
Now you know i'll love this! and always happy to help!

Harvey
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 18:14
No much simpler than that, one engine in the front, one engine in the back, with a common throttle cable and clutch and a quick release system for the gear linkage (so that either engine can be run interdependently of each other)

I see sounds easy,But the way the AWD "R's handle with there side hop thing could be fun ,getting them fine tuned so they both are working very close on the numbers will be tricky,and both clutches to bite at the same time.
I guess if the main thing is to go 1/4 mile that should not be a problem in a straight line.

Jim S70R
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 18:58

i actually thought they were at less than 500 if you read the build thread on pump fuel, and it went to 550 on race fuel ? maybe that was the first lot of testing.

who cares anyway lets not split hairs - we can all shut up until we have 500 as well.

591 on race fuel and 535 on standard pump fuel, still a great result regardless.

Santa
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:01

What they said!

Jim S70R
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:01
So is the Peril the most powerful 850 in the uk, and if so what power did it eventualy produce, just want to know what I'm aiming for....lol

If your looking to join them boys with the big bhp figures then good on you, would be cool to see you pumping that out especially if you could keep the super charger and turbo charger that would be wicked.:B_thumb:

WOODY T5
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:06
right that it nos for me now lol good on u col go for it wot bhp u running now tho!

stribo
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:20
right that it nos for me now lol good on u col go for it wot bhp u running now tho!
Noooooooooo, it's hard enough for anyone to get close to your times without NOS.
Can I just say mate I was really surprised with your car when I saw it at Shakey, I knew it was quick, but I expected it to look tatty, the interior to look a mess with guages all over the place, and not well fitted (not because I assumed you're that type of person, but I've seen alot of quick cars where function is more important than form) your's looks factory fresh, and it's a real credit to you that you not only have the quickest (1/4 miler), but one of the best looking cars on the forum, which I think is often overlooked.

claymore
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:24
The front engine will stay as it is with the charger and 423bhp, the rear engine will be around the 320bhp mark with another gt 28 hybrid on there :)

WOODY T5
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 19:45
dam will need 2 bottles of nos should be quick then collin look forward to seeing it

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:09
sounds fun!!

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:46
Good luck..

AndysR
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:48
That's some project, be interesting to watch it unfold :)

T5frankie
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:09
The front engine will stay as it is with the charger and 423bhp, the rear engine will be around the 320bhp mark with another gt 28 hybrid on there :)

where did you get 423bhp from?

Jamest5r
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:21

There was an offer on at Asda :)

Nealevo
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:31

He had it rolling roaded last month!! The graph had snow on the peak :)

claymore
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:31
Keep up there at the back, it was on the rollers a couple of days before the last Avon meet.

T5frankie
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:55
Keep up there at the back, it was on the rollers a couple of days before the last Avon meet.

in the words of smithy what was it at the wheels? sorry been busy building my own car lol

claymore
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:56
in the words of smithy what was it at the wheels?
It was just a dyno day, they didn't post whp, but I don't care anyway....lol

T5frankie
Thursday 24th October 2013, 19:58
It was just a dyno day, they didn't post whp, but I don't care anyway....lol

anyway well done mate thats a cracking figure 14.6 here you come..................................next year lol

claymore
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:05
Not doing quarter miles any more.

T5frankie
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:09
Not doing quarter miles any more.

what are you doing then?

claymore
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:13
Plan is to try and get the car ready for next years RetroRides gathering and Trax

Santa
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:16
Maybe a daft question (probably cooling) but any reason for the less powerful engine being in the back?

hybriduno
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:18
because he wants to give me a chance ;)

claymore
Thursday 24th October 2013, 20:27
Maybe a daft question (probably cooling) but any reason for the less powerful engine being in the back?
Like most 4 wheel drive cars, there is generally more power to the front wheels, the rear engine is only there to help the front one and for grip. (plus I can't afford to put rods in :) )

iancho
Friday 25th October 2013, 03:28
Well at last you have told everyone... it was killing me keeping quite!

The best Project of 2014 I think :B_thumb:

I know you can do it because you keep it simple and don't over complicate things :smile:

AndysR
Friday 25th October 2013, 22:22
Also a fairly hefty budget.....I just hope the 'bean can' makes an appearance in the build somewhere lol

Agreed, but that is Russ's heart that ruled the Peril build not his wallet, despite what is said he and his wife put a lot of hard earned into that car. Now it's for sale for what I believe to be a very very reasonable price for what was spent on it, but that was before the little ones arrived.

Noooooooooo, it's hard enough for anyone to get close to your times without NOS.
Can I just say mate I was really surprised with your car when I saw it at Shakey, I knew it was quick, but I expected it to look tatty, the interior to look a mess with guages all over the place, and not well fitted (not because I assumed you're that type of person, but I've seen alot of quick cars where function is more important than form) your's looks factory fresh, and it's a real credit to you that you not only have the quickest (1/4 miler), but one of the best looking cars on the forum, which I think is often overlooked.

I whole heartedly agree with that, there's a hell of a lot that is said about the performance of Dean's car, the impressive thing is you could write the same amount again about its factory fresh appearance, says a lot about its owner and genuine is a credit to him. It's one of my favourite cars on the forum :)

Colin, I still can't believe what I've been reading on this thread about your plans for twin engine setup, it's going to be insane I can't wait to see it again when it's done :)

t5 pete
Monday 28th October 2013, 21:05
Agreed, but that is Russ's heart that ruled the Peril build not his wallet, despite what is said he and his wife put a lot of hard earned into that car. Now it's for sale for what I believe to be a very very reasonable price for what was spent on it, but that was before the little ones arrived.

I whole heartedly agree with that, there's a hell of a lot that is said about the performance of Dean's car, the impressive thing is you could write the same amount again about its factory fresh appearance, says a lot about its owner and genuine is a credit to him. It's one of my favourite cars on the forum :)

Colin, I still can't believe what I've been reading on this thread about your plans for twin engine setup, it's going to be insane I can't wait to see it again when it's done :)

How come its up for sale Andy also where is it for sale

AndysR
Monday 28th October 2013, 22:21
How come its up for sale Andy also where is it for sale

He hasn't used it in over a year and with 2 children it's not practical for him so he doesn't get the time to enjoy it anymore. He's been toying with the idea for well over 6 months and I must have tried to talk him out of it on a number of occasions over those 6 months but he's made his decision now... It's not listed for sale anywhere officially but trust me it is for sale, to anyone interested give him a call...

WOODY T5
Monday 28th October 2013, 23:21

Colin, I still can't believe what I've been reading on this thread about your plans for twin engine setup, it's going to be insane I can't wait to see it again when it's done :)cheers Andy do like my cars to look box fresh as for the performance don't know why but just gets quicker and quicker with the little thinging I do same goes for your motor tho looks standard and goes very well;)

no1tosh
Sunday 10th November 2013, 10:23

i remember these cars as well, and jeffs bigdub from my vw days. awsome cars to say the least.
brentachre still use big dub for there performance insurance ad's.

i'll defanatly be following this one:pimp2: