PDA

View Full Version : Electrical poltergeist????

Marc Lenssen
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 16:58
Ok,

getting freaky now; 2002 s60, Needs an alarm service.... but sunroof and auto dim mirror do not work, now the righthand lower corner of the dim is starting to act up, seatbelt and handbrake warning lights start to flicker as if they are loose....and the left side head beam adjuster motor just busted, it seems to get a permanent signal cause it keeps buzzing..... the thing is just replaced so maybe the previous one burned out.
Do all of these sound connected?

Thanks,
Marc

M-R-P
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 17:05
Sounds like it's time to trade it in before it becomes a money pit mate. the events probably aren't connected but if they are, it's down to the DIM starting to fail.

A replacement DIM will cost nearly as much as the car is worth to replace but it can be repaired by resoldering the motorolla chip on the circuit board inside the DIM - get a mobile phone or TV repair shop to do it.

For the head beam - probably a damaged switch. - nothing to do with the DIM

the alarm is a separate thing - they are known to fail on nearly every early P2 car. - Nothing to do with the DIM.

The sunroof and auto dimm mirror run from a cable that runs down the left hand side (when looking from inside the car) of the windscreen pillar, behind the trim. There's a connector at the bottom - worth checking but probably nothing to do with the DIM.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 17:20
the sunroof and alarm are next to each other in the network ring so its pretty certain the alarm service is preventing the sunroof working.
i only remember 1 car to have needed a sunroof module as well as a siren.

has all this started this week with heavy rain? i am wondering if there is water ingress into the cem box. this could link all of these together function wise, but not the dim display fault.
potentially u need at least 2 modules .......

as martin said, all these put together might make it time to sell up ........

cherry1809
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 17:50
Don't listen to these two. You need holy water, a bible and a bloke who looks like a penguin. Should be fine after that :)

Marc Lenssen
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 17:53
Thanks for the feedback guys,

It actually started (Dim and beam motor) after I connected an odbII device to the plug close to the cem, assuming the cem box is under the steering wheel on a LHD 2002. I checked under the steering wheel this week to see if there are any fuses there. There is a vertically mounted board for relays but not a fuse in sight. All looked dry there though. The motor was a pattern part and sounded like something loose in there when I took it out and shook it, maybe just a bad part and it breaking causes it to get a signal?
I'll check the cable and plug for the roof and mirror, but I indeed also heard several times that if the alarm is out (fuse out and somehow switched off by the dealer according to an older invoice) the roof may react.
Too much money spent on PFV to sell it now mates :-)

Marc

M-R-P
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 18:48
I know what you mean mate. in too deep to quit, lol

V70 Graham
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 18:48
I know what you mean mate. in too deep to quit, lol

We've all been there....

Marc Lenssen
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 18:49
I am still there :-)

ShadeTek
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 20:35
The alarm and sunroof are connected in respect that your alarm module battery has failed and possibly leaked out onto the pcb and corroded it. This kills the sunroof operation. You can take the alarm module to bits and replace the battery which will save you a fortune. £20 for new battery, £130+ for new module from Volvo. As for your dim, don't buy a new one, get it repaired. The repair cost £60 ish as opposed to £700+ from Volvo. Try this link for your dim.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73695

stephenevans99
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 21:28
Coincidently.....it looks like my Alarm Siren Module has started to play up today for the very first time.....lots of false alarms, I've not got the 'Alarm System Service Required' message as yet. I understand the internal battery leaks and causes the problem BUT can't help think the recent heavy rain has contributed ?? who knows.....

I spoke to Mike at FRF and they've quoted me £155.48 + £6.98 delivery for the Alarm Siren Kit which includes new Siren, replacement rivets, security bolt, various clips etc.

Looks like it's going to be my next job.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:40
i think the cem is under the windscreen scuttle plastic panel marc.
it is the obd (on board diagnostic)connection under the dash that you would have plugged a code reader into .

not sure how this could have triggered the issues you are having.

depends on if the board is badly corroded, to if you could get away with a battery alone.
the best thing to do is to remove the siren from under the wheel arch and split it open to inspect.

Marc Lenssen
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:02
Hello of a place to put a CEM unit, not that they get any melting snow in Sweden... Or rain in the Netherlands and UK... :-). I thought it was under the steering wheel... but I stand corrected...the obd plug is under the steering wheel and I thought that if the CEM was close to it I might have moved it by plugging the obd in and out a few times.
I'll have a crack at getting to the alarm module, does it need to be activated by the dealer if the battery can be replaced? And what battery does it take?

Thanks,
Marc

Harvey
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 22:37
Hello of a place to put a CEM unit, not that they get any melting snow in Sweden... Or rain in the Netherlands and UK... :-). I thought it was under the steering wheel... but I stand corrected...the obd plug is under the steering wheel and I thought that if the CEM was close to it I might have moved it by plugging the obd in and out a few times.
I'll have a crack at getting to the alarm module, does it need to be activated by the dealer if the battery can be replaced? And what battery does it take?

Thanks,
Marc

The alarm unit is sealed (plastic is welded together ) very hard to get into it the battery inside leaks and takes out the PCB aswell
The kit comes with a bonnet latch as water gets into it and causes faults.
When you lock the car does the lights flash when you use the fob,if not try shutting all the doors ,bonnet ,boot-tailgate until the lights flash.the hardest part of changing the sounder is drilling out the rivets for the wheel arch liner & the anti tamper screw that holds the unit to the inner wing.
The sounder is not coded to the car just fit the new one and off you go.