PDA

View Full Version : MBC and boost guage video my 940 10 psi

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 20th October 2013, 12:52
Just a quick vid to show the boost gauge working I only seem to be able to get up to around 10 was hopping for a bit more what have I done wrong or am I reading it wrong sorry vids pretty poor but its wet here today so did not set it up very well.

woops miss spelt MBC as MPC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM-UK2BLJdM&feature=youtu.be

stribo
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:05
It looked like it was reading up to a bar to me (although it was hard to read), if it was indeed 10 psi and you want more you'll have to wind your MBC out a bit, though best to only do it one click at a time.;)

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:19
Out I been winding it in sure it said anti clockwise to remove boost I look again

stribo
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:20
But I thought you wanted more boost.

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:24
I do lol

M-R-P
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:25
Looks like the boost is tailing off at the top end, have you checked the actuator? might need tightening.

stribo
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:28
Out I been winding it in sure it said anti clockwise to remove boost I look again

But I thought you wanted more boost.

I do lol

So you wind it out.:P

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:32
are you sure not in. Ok well ill go and try brb

M-R-P
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:34
are you sure not in. Ok well ill go and try brb

This would depend largely on what MBC is fitted - be careful ;)

A slack actuator would stop it boosting high by the way...

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 20th October 2013, 13:39
Arrr that's what it is then. Is it easy to get to actually it's wet ill sick it in my mate garrage and Wack it on the ramp and turn down the boost first. Is it obvious on what to tighten up or where to put the washers

smithy
Sunday 20th October 2013, 17:34
Arrr that's what it is then. Is it easy to get to actually it's wet ill sick it in my mate garrage and Wack it on the ramp and turn down the boost first. Is it obvious on what to tighten up or where to put the washers

It's a none adjustable actuator on a 940 mate but you can make it abit tighter by putting washers on bracket that holds the actuator to the turbo.and you wing the mbc in and on a bleed valve you wind it out .you have a mbc .it looks like 8 psi to me on the vid .you should be able to run 12 psi before fuel cut /boost cut.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 20th October 2013, 17:47
As smithy says, on an MBC (two port valve) you wind it in to increase boost and on a bleed valve (3 port valve) you wind it out.

You could also have a boost leak. Try a pressure test of the system to see if it is leaking.

stribo
Sunday 20th October 2013, 19:18
Yeah, sorry my mistake, my bleed valve I wind out, obviously an MBC you wind in for more boost.:slap:

BoostWagon
Monday 21st October 2013, 19:37
You could also have a boost leak. Try a pressure test of the system to see if it is leaking.

A boost leak would be visible on the gauge (you will see the boost pressure go down). It should be good till 12psi. Check the gasket from the recirc valve (triangle on the turbo). Mine had a tiny leak there.

It can also be that your turbo is already on the way out (is it burning oil, play on the turbineshaft etc). Bad/worn out turbo may be the cause

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 10:54
A boost leak would be visible on the gauge (you will see the boost pressure go down). It should be good till 12psi. Check the gasket from the recirc valve (triangle on the turbo). Mine had a tiny leak there.

It can also be that your turbo is already on the way out (is it burning oil, play on the turbineshaft etc). Bad/worn out turbo may be the cause

Indeed. Perfect time to upgrade to something bigger :D

thesoundcriminal
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:44
thanks guys I found out that there were two bolts holding the triangle thing onto the engine I had only done one and not tightened it up completely now with two bolts and it all nice and tight I can get 12 psi no problem just want to push it a bit more its very addictive. Does not feel much slower than my old T5 and its RWD Oh yes. 22864

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 11:47
Looks lovely in that pic :)

thesoundcriminal
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:18
22865Yep I totally fallen in love can`t stop driving it :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:39
I can tell by the huge smile ;)

thesoundcriminal
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 12:47
Lol lol hahaha