PDA

View Full Version : got a pipe pinched closed on my 940 lpt

thesoundcriminal
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:22
Just got this car and in process very slowly installing a MBC and a gauge I noticed that there is a pipe that is pinched close and I got no idea why, other than the fact that the bolt from the clap on the waist gate actuator had fallen out and so the car was running with no boost. I put in a new bolt and it is now boosting fine. So got me thinking maybe its something22822 to do with that.

Another question why I`m here any ideas on where to put the pipe for the boost gauge through the firewall how about where i shown in the second picture.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:28
pull the grommet out so you can see both sides of it, the make a small slit in the rubber to allow your guage pipe through.
you might want to do the same as me, and use a plastic section through the bulkhead so it doesnt kink up or get squashed.

thesoundcriminal
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:43
cunning idea ill do that

jamesy12345
Friday 18th October 2013, 13:51
I have no idea about 940s just a guess - the hose for the idle air control valve??

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 14:00
vida suggests that pipe is from the wrong car, so maybe the original rubber hose had split and the owner used a secondhand one from a 740, but this clamp was the easiest way to close the unrequired outlet.
to make to neater, buy a cap for it but no harm in the outlet being there. if that hose is 25mm, you could use one of these and cut it back more neatly :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-Blanking-Plug-Bung-BOV-Blow-Off-Dump-Valve-CNC-Aluminium-Billet-ALL-SIZES-/271126865413?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&var=&hash=item3f206ba605

Dangerous Dave
Friday 18th October 2013, 15:34
All the 940s I've owned have had that pipe and the idle valve on (but never clamped).

Something isn't right there. Perhaps the idle valve is broken and they've adjusted the throttle flap to suit.

thesoundcriminal
Friday 18th October 2013, 15:41
ok thanks guys so that's what it is idle valve I did bot want to do anything until I knew what it did right going to go and wack up boost

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 15:43
perhaps, might be one of those if u try to sort it that you unearth all sorts of hassle.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 18th October 2013, 15:52
That pipe is quite long, it snakes down the back of the alternator then across to the idle valve.

The idle valve is obscured by the clamp in the pic, you can just see the end of it where the pipe attaches to it.

AndysR
Friday 18th October 2013, 18:48
As above that pipe goes to the idle control valve, chances are the car was stalling and they've adjusted the idle and blocked the pipe to idle control valve to resolve. That said the reason the car was stalling may have been down to something simple like carbon build up around the throttle butterfly and in the idle control valve, quite common on these. I'd remove and clean the throttle body and idle control valve unclamp that hose and refit everything and see how it runs. If it still stalls it may either have an air leak or a faulty idle control valve. Either way it shouldn't be like that and needs fixing correctly.

thesoundcriminal
Saturday 19th October 2013, 07:52
ok thanks again for that you guys are good

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 08:53
pull the grommet out so you can see both sides of it, the make a small slit in the rubber to allow your guage pipe through.
you might want to do the same as me, and use a plastic section through the bulkhead so it doesnt kink up or get squashed.

what on your zafira diesel? lol