PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 3309 for R auto?

Squirtydog
Monday 14th October 2013, 20:30
About to order 12l of this stuff to flush the box and hopefully have some left over so that I can drop the sump fluid at the next service.

Someone let me know quick if I've got the wrong end of the stick and this is the wrong stuff as it is £14/l:yikes:

Plan on using the method of:
1. drop sump oil (2.5litres ish?).
2. Refill same amount through dipstick.
Then either...
3. Replace plug, start engine, cycle through D, 1, 2, 3 and R whilst stationary
Or...
3. Replace plug and pootle up and down road through all 5 gears and reverse.
4. Repeat x3
5. Drive until full hot, check levels and top up if needed.

Someone tell me if I've got it wrong as I'm doing this in a week or so.

stephenevans99
Monday 14th October 2013, 20:47
Mine was done with the exact same method apart from I drove mine for 25 mile or so before each 'drop'.

Squirtydog
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:30
Mine was done with the exact same method apart from I drove mine for 25 mile or so before each 'drop'.

Cheers, just needed some confirmation. You bought from opie didn't you?

Kingsford G
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:42
That's the right fluid for the 5speed auto.Also it was cheaper form Toyota and their brand is either T4 or T5 can`t remember cos older models used Asin boxes apparently.

Squirtydog
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:52
Cheers. Think it is the T4. I'll have a look.

Harvey
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:55
I took my into main dealer,here's a photo of invoice.
Sorry it wrong way round.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/84E97A92-B37C-467B-BEE8-97BFFAC109A8-9399-00001143432EF911_zps0ba62204.jpg

Squirtydog
Monday 14th October 2013, 22:09
Cheers Harvey. Cannot work out how they did it at that price. VOLVO quoted me £500! A simple replacement of the fluid at 7.5l comes to far more than the £65.

You auto or manual?

Harvey
Monday 14th October 2013, 22:22
Yes my S60R is a auto.
The volvo fluid comes in 4 litre bottles so they did use two of them.
They also did the software update at the same time,the dip stick in the tube was broken so they did fit a new one at the same time.

First they droped the oil in the pan then refilled it with fresh oil,then they started the engine they removed the oil line at the oil cooler went throught the gears it only took about a hour and that was talking to the tech that was doing the job.
I did look at DIY but what they wanted just not worth the trouble but would still have to go in for update.

Squirtydog
Monday 14th October 2013, 22:28
Sounds like a great deal. Just can't find someone up here to do it properly.

ROZER
Monday 14th October 2013, 23:58
then do it yourself . its easy you will kick yourself how easy it is .I did mine in may its been perfect since but unlike some mine took 14 litres to become clear red the car in question only had 94k and had a full flush with additive from Volvo at 80k begs the question can we really trust anyone to do the job correctly.

Kingsford G
Tuesday 15th October 2013, 00:07
Mine was 4 speed box and also took about 14L to get pinky cos it didn`t have the fluid change for 5years.There is also a staged fluid change where you only drain the sump and add the same amount back,do it every 2weeks untill its clean.The stage change is in some cases the best option cos u don`t shift all the crap if there is there in 1 go that can effect the box and let it mix and out slowly.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 15th October 2013, 07:34
Cheers, just needed some confirmation. You bought from opie didn't you?

I bought mine from Simon (Rufe) at FRF Volvo.

As soon as it was done, it went into Volvo for a software update and reset of the adaptive learning and counter.

I've got another 4 litres of the transmission fluid in the garage, I'm fitting a Mocal Aux in line cooler after my hols - I'll do another partial change then.

jamesy12345
Tuesday 15th October 2013, 08:25
I know I am venturing into the 'wrong' part of the forum but I need to do mine also (4 speed). Thanks for useful info above gents

Squirtydog
Thursday 7th November 2013, 20:23
Well did the fluid change today.
There is a good write up (http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26863) already out there so this is just to add my experience.

Began armed with a box with 12l of Mobil 3309 from Opie.

Firstly after wasting a lot of time visiting several places looking for some suitable clear hose and failing - all I could find was washer hose which was too narrow... my wife pointed out that our brewing kit syphon hose was spot on so that was used (easily replaced from any brew shop) Connected it to a standard 100mm plastic funnel from Halfrauds and the 'kit' was sorted.

Then car up on ramps on the drive.

Next to find the dipstick. All I can say is that it is deeeep down tightly beneath some hose front right of the engine as you look at it. See the pics above. After getting underneath and locating it from there I had a look from above. I managed to get a torch beam on it by shining it down and to the right from the front right corner of the air box.
Getting a hand to it required removal of the air inlet pipe. So, it was left hand down the resulting gap near the engine, torch and me looking from the right and fiddle until you have it. Quite easy really but took me a good hour to figure out I have to admit :slap:
Once removed, same idea for feeding in the tube.

Then washing up bowl under car. Remove plug as per pics above.

First drop gave 3.4l of thick black muck! There's some properly thick gunge at the bottom of the bowl too. Magnet on the plug had a good coating of muck say pea sized in total.
In went the same volume of new stuff and the old went in the empty bottles.

Replaced plug, dipstick and air pipe and went for drive.

Repeated this again. This time turning on the engine for about 10 seconds once the drain flow slowed.
This time 3.8l, still very very dark with a hint of red.

Same again.
This time 3.9l... Still quite dark but with more red evident.

So. I've now gone through 11.1 litres of the good stuff and I recon that I'll need to do at least one more drop before I'm happy to leave it. However, it clearly needed doing. You'd never leave the engine circulating the crap that came out of the transmission so why on earth Volvo could consider the box 'sealed for life' I do not know.
I'll still do a single drop at each service from now on I think. Overall not a difficult job if I managed it but a bit time consuming doing the initial 3 flushes.

...oh and I don't seem to have an undertray to the engine. Need to get one.

Harvey
Thursday 7th November 2013, 20:32

The 'R' don't have them fitted helps to keep the heat down they say.

Looks like a job well done,nice right up.

Squirtydog
Thursday 7th November 2013, 20:38
The 'R' don't have them fitted helps to keep the heat down they say.

Looks like a job well done,nice right up.

Cheers, is that why I see so many bonnet up pics with the bonnet lining removed?

jdavis
Thursday 7th November 2013, 20:51
Well did the fluid change today.
There is a good write up (http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26863) already out there so this is just to add my experience.

Began armed with a box with 12l of Mobil 3309 from Opie.

Firstly after wasting a lot of time visiting several places looking for some suitable clear hose and failing - all I could find was washer hose which was too narrow... my wife pointed out that our brewing kit syphon hose was spot on so that was used (easily replaced from any brew shop) Connected it to a standard 100mm plastic funnel from Halfrauds and the 'kit' was sorted.

Then car up on ramps on the drive.

Next to find the dipstick. All I can say is that it is deeeep down tightly beneath some hose front right of the engine as you look at it. See the pics above. After getting underneath and locating it from there I had a look from above. I managed to get a torch beam on it by shining it down and to the right from the front right corner of the air box.
Getting a hand to it required removal of the air inlet pipe. So, it was left hand down the resulting gap near the engine, torch and me looking from the right and fiddle until you have it. Quite easy really but took me a good hour to figure out I have to admit :slap:
Once removed, same idea for feeding in the tube.

Then washing up bowl under car. Remove plug as per pics above.

First drop gave 3.4l of thick black muck! There's some properly thick gunge at the bottom of the bowl too. Magnet on the plug had a good coating of muck say pea sized in total.
In went the same volume of new stuff and the old went in the empty bottles.

Replaced plug, dipstick and air pipe and went for drive.

Repeated this again. This time turning on the engine for about 10 seconds once the drain flow slowed.
This time 3.8l, still very very dark with a hint of red.

Same again.
This time 3.9l... Still quite dark but with more red evident.

So. I've now gone through 11.1 litres of the good stuff and I recon that I'll need to do at least one more drop before I'm happy to leave it. However, it clearly needed doing. You'd never leave the engine circulating the crap that came out of the transmission so why on earth Volvo could consider the box 'sealed for life' I do not know.
I'll still do a single drop at each service from now on I think. Overall not a difficult job if I managed it but a bit time consuming doing the initial 3 flushes.

Good works, the same way that i did mine. I've only dropped mine twice though so far to give it a freshen up.
Going to go the full hog asap.

My T5 has the undertray but someone on here said geartronics shouldnt have them as to keep the heat down??

Squirtydog
Thursday 7th November 2013, 20:59
Oh and new plug washer set me back 36p from eurocarparts.

Harvey
Thursday 7th November 2013, 21:02
Oh and new plug washer set me back 36p from eurocarparts.

They seen you coming at that price.

Squirtydog
Thursday 7th November 2013, 21:15
They seen you coming at that price.

Once I saw it I figured it doesn't really need replacing and is nothing too unique. Thought it would be some fragile perishable gasket thingy.

hotdog1
Thursday 7th November 2013, 23:20
Slightly off-topic. When you had the software updated - were you informed of any new changes etc? I'm not sure whether my car has ever had the software updated...

Second question, would the same sort of procedure be worth it in a manual? The last car i changed the gear oil it made a huge difference to the shift 'feel'

M-R-P
Thursday 7th November 2013, 23:39
Second question, would the same sort of procedure be worth it in a manual? The last car i changed the gear oil it made a huge difference to the shift 'feel'

Depends on the mileage but usually yes - it makes a fair difference. Use the right oil tho or you'll be sorry.

M-R-P
Thursday 7th November 2013, 23:43
Cheers, is that why I see so many bonnet up pics with the bonnet lining removed?

Nope - that's because, if you have any kind of induction system, you hear it sooo much more ;)