PDA

View Full Version : Stereo went pop and found a Halfrauds bargain!

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:35
Well the faithful old Pioneer head unit went bang on saturday and, although I haven't used the radio much since fitting the new zorst, the idea of not having tunes just doesn't appeal. So I took a mooch around my local Halfrauds and picked up this little beauty...

Linky (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_91 8353_langId_-1_categoryId_165474#tab1)

£60 quid off and was almost in my price bracket so I paypalled some funds over to my bank and bought it.

Fitted it in Halfrauds Car park in 5 minutes :D And I'm bloody impressed.

The good stuff.....

1. Bluetooth is superb, phone calls are as clear as day with no echo or noise to the person calling you and the BT audio feature, although missing song names (or I've not switched it on yet) is exceptional - I can even use my equaliser and surround settings from my phone to adjust the sound quality of the playback!

2. Looks really nice

3. 2 x USB sockets - one in the facia and one on a 1M cable which you can hide in the glove box or center arm rest, 3.5mm aux input on the facia, stereo preout socket on the back, Dab input (additional gizmo required)

4. Very immersive sound once set up.

The down sides...

1. No CD slot... yep, the new generation is here - totally digital making the unit half the depth of normal head units. Not that bothered as all my music is digital now and I can either play from my phone or plug a dongle in somewhere. Plus I don't have CDs rattling about in the car any more :)

2. FM radio sound quality isn't great (gonna try it with the FM radio on the phone tonight) I may have missed an audio setting somewhere so I'll update the thread if I sort it.

3. The preout sockets appear to be for a standard stereo amp and not a sub, which means I've got some fiddling to do to get the sub sounding right.

4. Sub makes a "thump" noise when the stereo switches on. Nothing worrying, just annoys me lol.

5. Limited audio adjustments available - some presets and a user setting that lets you do bass, treble, balance and fader. There's also the DBB and MAX-B functions that won't be getting switched off any time soon

I've not had chance to have a good fiddle with it yet so I'll update if I find anything interesting.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:46
I still have a Sony unit here you could have - inc. 6 CD multi change & direct wired connectivity for Ipod.

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:54
You still not got rid of that thing Dave? I'd have thought it would have gone pretty quick?

AndysR
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:59
Wow, that looks like a bargain and I think a worthy replacement for the old cassette player in the 940 :)

V70 Graham
Monday 14th October 2013, 15:04
Looks a great unit for the price.....and I'm glad you got an iPhone/iPod ready one.....it even says so on the right of the unit :hilarious

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 15:17
Looks a great unit for the price.....and I'm glad you got an iPhone/iPod ready one.....it even says so on the right of the unit :hilarious

fortunately, it's compatible with proper phones too. they write iPhone on it incase iPhone users forget what to connect it to.

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:43
Bit more faffing tonight, got the FM radio sounding good and made some headway with retuning the sub too.

Hoping to make more progress soon, still a cracking bit of kit for 80 quid and highly recommended.

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 11:49
oooh look at this

link (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_90 0587_langId_-1_categoryId_165474)

i heard from connects2 that halfords have over 90% of the digital radio aftermarket

daza-b
Friday 18th October 2013, 11:53
oooh look at this

link (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_90 0587_langId_-1_categoryId_165474)

i heard from connects2 that halfords have over 90% of the digital radio aftermarket

Thats awesome i think ill get one of those!!

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 11:56
that's what i thought daz, and the oe vauxhall stereo i have has a knackered power/volume button. - good excuse !

expolicev70t5
Friday 18th October 2013, 11:58
Now that is very neat!

M-R-P
Friday 18th October 2013, 11:58
Happy with mine stuck to the windscreen (sat nav) and the app is just a simplified version of the car mode that's already on my phone.

20 quid for a phone holder attached to the front of the stereo?

I'll give it a miss lol

daza-b
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:05
I have a Sony stereo in mine but I dont have an ipod to put into it etc and always wreck cds so this is perfect for me, just put in an offer on one on ebay and will sell the sony

Happy days :)

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:19
I've got a digital tuner thingy with has an input as well. i dont really use it becasue when i leave work the fm signal frequency is ok, by halfway home it needs retuning - fail :slap:

oblark
Friday 18th October 2013, 12:24
Im waiting for the pioneer double din stereos to come down in price :)

daza-b
Friday 18th October 2013, 14:06
oooh look at this

Just bought one of these so will give a review on it when it arrives :)

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 18th October 2013, 14:44
u jammy git- i'm skint

daza-b
Friday 18th October 2013, 15:08
u jammy git- i'm skint

Lol found a 2 week old one on ebay and got it for £55 delivered :p lol

M-R-P
Monday 21st October 2013, 21:50
bit of an update...

I just couldn't get it to sound right and in my opinion, if you're going to replace something, replace it with a better version so I took it back.

for an extra 20 quid I got this...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/DSC_0441_zpsadfea742.jpg

note the logo in the red square at the top... quite apt I thought lol.

what can I say...?

epic! it's far better than the old Pioneer unit that went pop and those who have heard the old one will know that's a hard act to follow!
the sound is infinitely adjustable (meaning I'll be fiddling with it for some time) the FM signal is spot on, the bt audio is perfect, the phone sound is great although I'm gonna get the external mic to improve it a bit and the overall sound quality is breathtaking.

go buy it!

M-R-P
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:23
Here's the link (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_92 7779_langId_-1_categoryId_165474)

daza-b
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:25
Looks like a good stereo, mine should be here in the next couple of days ;)

Kingsford G
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:27
Been to Halfords today and some cracking bargains there, few half price headunits with lots of bells and whistles in them.

M-R-P
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:37
Looks like a good stereo, mine should be here in the next couple of days ;)
Hope it's better than the one I just binned mate, I just couldn't get on with it.

Been to Halfords today and some cracking bargains there, few half price headunits with lots of bells and whistles in them.
I can't recommend that Sony enough mate, if you were looking to spend £100 on a head unit, you won't get better.

Kingsford G
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:48
I looked at that Sony and Pioneer,back in the days u wouldn`t buy anythig good for less than £300,I rmember I paid £350 for my Pioneer 12years ago,it was good money back then.

M-R-P
Monday 21st October 2013, 23:58
I looked at that Sony and Pioneer,back in the days u wouldn`t buy anythig good for less than £300,I rmember I paid £350 for my Pioneer 12years ago,it was good money back then.

Agreed. The Pioneer that went pop was £450 when new 5-6 years ago.

daza-b
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 01:47
Hope it's better than the one I just binned mate, I just couldn't get on with it.

U and me both mate lol

V70 Graham
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 04:27
Glad your happy with the new unit......what a difference £20 makes eh lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 08:07
U and me both mate lol
I've been told there's some software you can upload via bluetooth that opens up more options in the sound menu but I didn't investigate it further. Might be worth looking into.

Glad your happy with the new unit......what a difference £20 makes eh lol
The Sony is supposed to be £200 (1/2 price offer in Halfrauds) and if I'd paid the full price, I would still be impressed. And this one has a cd player.

Plus... since my phone is Sony, it wants to do all sorts of stuff when it connects. Must do some googling to work that lot out lol.

M-R-P
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 23:53
Discovered tonight that the new stereo reads my texts to me!

Got a bit of a shock when I was happily driving along, listening to the "tree mix" of the Cure song A Forest when this strange voice said...

"V70Graham..."

"I know mate"

Don't get me wrong, it's a great feature but it would be nice to have some warning lol.

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 13:14
pmsl, was it like a ghost prank ?

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd October 2013, 13:16
Lol, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it now I think about it. I just know some people are gonna wait till they know I'll be driving and deliberately send me stupid texts.

Gonna dig the manual out and work out how to turn it off haha.