PDA

View Full Version : V70 Royal Steering Wheel

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 09:25
Morning guys,
Some of you may have picked up on my recent post that I had a new steering wheel on order, well this week it finaly arrived and at the weekend I got round to fitting it.
It was a post by Squirtydog that prompted me to look at changing the steering wheel after seeing his post and pics of his newly refurbished wheel done by Royal Steering wheels a couple of months ago, after reading the post I got in touch with Royal Steering Wheels who were very helpfull, after having a look through their portfolio and pics of Squirtydogs refurbished R wheel I decided to stick with the standard 4 spoke wheel but have it looking much nicer than the standard Plod item.
I did however have a couple of hold ups where I needed a couple of extra tools.
First job on Saturday was disconnect the battry and leve it for 10 mins before starting any work, I then found a torx bit that fit the 2 air bag retaining screws however when trying to undo them it became apparrent that the shaft wasnt long enough so had to reconnect the battry and head off to town to get a Torx screw driver.
back home I repeated the mornings process with great success airbag carefully removed, now time to undo the steering wheel retaining nut, only thing was I had every socket size except the 18mm which as you can guess was the size that I needed (Typical!) once again I reacembled it all and back to town to get an 18mm socket.
Once again went through the whole process and this time it was a success (thanks to MRP for reminding me about putting ignition in position II when reconecting the battery) all a success, and here is a before and after pic.

Before

After with new Royal Steering wheel.

Having now used the car over the weekend the new wheel has a nice feel and looks loads better then the old worn plod item!

stephenevans99
Monday 14th October 2013, 09:29
It appears it's been fed too much whilst away ;) lol

Looks very nice mate....I've been thinking having the same done after seeing what these guys can do.

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 09:43
Looks good mate. I quite like the fatter sides in with the perforated leather stuff.

The material around the holes where the airbag bolts hide is quite flexible and with some fairy liquid and some force, you can get most bit-holders in there without having to go get a skinny one (I've had quite a few of these off in my time)
Needs cruise control tho. Want me to see if I can find an airbag unit with the right buttons?

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 11:45
Yes Im very pleased with it, would love cruise control but have a couple of questions, firstly I assume its just a case of changing air bag for one with correct buttons? based on your comment, secondly will the ex plod have all the wiring for cruise control? and if so will it self activate when connecting the different air bag or will I need to go see a main stealer for software update for it to be reconised?
Also what sort of figure would I be looking at for air bag with correct buttons and software upgrade if needed.

Just thought I would bombard you with hundred and one questions, as I gather you are the Ex Plod Guru :shockedbi

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 11:58
All models come with the full loom to cover (almost) all functions, regardless of weather or not the car is equipped to run those functions.
You can just change the airbag unit over (I'll have to check but you might be able to just change the face with the buttons) without worrying about annoying the SRS system, providing the replacement is of the same generation (i.e. pre facelift).
I can pick up aribags for about 30 to 50 quid depending on the mood of the guy behind the counter, but if I can get just the face off, it'll be a LOT cheaper.
I'd like to say the cruise control will just work straight away but it's more likely that it'll need activating through Dice/Vida.

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:03
Do you have any idea what sort of figure Dice / Vida activation will cost?

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:05
Main stealer would probably hit you for 60 to 80 quid mate but there's a few members with the software, maybe one of them could be willing to help out?

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:11
Mmm not quite as bad as I thought from dealer, saving cash is always good as it can then go to other mods, was expecting it to be couple of hundred quid for activation.

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:37
It's still a lot of money for someone to plug it in, click a check box and unplug it again.

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:43
Very true, would much prefer that cash to go to some lowering springs so that the old bus isnt on stilts.

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 12:59
Stick some OE shocks on the back, that'll level it off a bit, then sell the nivomats for about 120 quid and put the money towards some springs ;)

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:03
OMG!! :shockedbi just thought following your thoughts on cruise control, thought I would email local dealer for quote to activte cruise they came back with £500.44 nearly fell off my chair!

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:13
That'll be quoting you for the airbag, buttons, software and probably a bloody steering wheel.

Robbing sods.

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:16
No that was just for the software, airbag, buttons etc wernt included, certainly are if all it is is a case of checking a tick box

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:19
:yikes:

I'm sure it's just a case of turning it on in Vida. Same as heated seats etc.

expolicev70t5
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:28
Ooh you just promped another thought now! the leather seats I installed were heated ones so if I get the buttons for the dash I could get them activated to work as well

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:40
Ooh you just promped another thought now! the leather seats I installed were heated ones so if I get the buttons for the dash I could get them activated to work as well

Yep - It's literally just the button you need - under the blanks are a full array of buttons so it's just a plastic thingy you need.