PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor...Where?

Jon
Thursday 27th October 2005, 15:14
Hi all, I hope you can help.

On the 855 T-5, the lambda light is on. Spesh told me it's probably the MAF sensor needing a clean with some brake/carb cleaner.

Where is it so I can clean it? :slap:

Also, would I have to reset the lambda light or would it go out of its own accord?

Cheers! :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th October 2005, 15:39
Be very careful if you do clean it at all. The maf sensor sits in a chamber just aft of the air box. You can see from the top the multiplug that connects into it.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th October 2005, 15:40
Have you had the diagnostic codes read yet?

HuskMan
Thursday 27th October 2005, 21:57
Get the codes read if you can - that should save you a heap of trouble over the long run.

If you want to clean the MAF then you can 'clean' it by spraying carb cleaner through the grill in the air box top by popping the top off the box - the MAF sensor is protected behind the circular grill. Or try through the air intakes in front of the rad whilst the engine is running. It generally doesn't do a great deal but worth a pop. Don't touch the strip with anything - just spray it.

I had success a while ago by taking the multiplug off the top of the sensor and cleaning the connector which sometimes gets gunged up - a greeny-brown gunk. Use carb cleaner and dab it with cotton tips.

If you still have no success then you could 'borrow' a MAF sensor from someone like Salvo - if it works you get a sensor for £60 (get your volvot5 discount if you go to Salvo) if not you've only spent £10-20 to completely write that potential problem off.

But follow other people's advice and get the codes read first - always makes sense. Try and find a friendly local garage as the main-stealer will want £40 just to check.