PDA

View Full Version : Front lower valance grille S60R 2006 - how to remove

mr nozzle
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:33
Hi, can anyone advise me please on how to remove the front lower valance grille on a 2006 S60R? Mine has been slightly distorted and is covered in paint chips. I'd like to take it off and make it good but can't for the life of me work out how it comes off!
Cheers :redface:

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:36
the front lower grille is actually the 2nd intercooler and this is why the paint is flaking off. it is pretty common from stone hits on this car.

others can probably give better guidance but i think the bumper cover comes off first - it is relatively straightforward on this car.

Harvey
Do you mean the two black bars on the lower intercooler ?.
MRP did a how to remove the bumper not very long ago it the same on the S60R.

stribo
I could be wrong, but I think it's part of the lower intercooler.

M-R-P
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:46
I think he means the grating in front of the i/c. Sharkey redid his a while ago. If it is the grating you need to remove, it's clipped to the inside of the front bumper which has to come off to get at it.

this (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?52698-Front-bumper-respray-and-then-a-few-extras) will help you get the bumper off :)

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:51
There isn't a grating as such thought, just 2 or 3 fins which are metal which makes me think it's part of the intercooler.

M-R-P
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:54
There isn't a grating as such thought, just 2 or 3 fins which are metal which makes me think it's part of the intercooler.

Really? bit of a crap design lol.

Bloody ford :hidesbehi

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 13:59
Really? bit of a crap design lol.

Bloody ford :hidesbehi

If you knew anything about thermodynamics, you'd realise it's a good design, as the fins act as a heatsink. :P

M-R-P
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:04
If you knew anything about thermodynamics, you'd realise it's a good design, as the fins act as a heatsink. :P

You don't know how much I know about thermalunderpants ;) I just think it's a daft idea to expose the ic like that :)

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:05
can confirm it is the intercooler - used to get asked this fairly frequently .

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:11
You don't know how much I know about thermalunderpants ;) I just think it's a daft idea to expose the ic like that :)

You're right, it would be much better to cover it up so the air can't get to it. :P

M-R-P
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:16
You're right, it would be much better to cover it up so the air can't get to it. :P

numpty

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:25
numpty

You're the one critising the design.

M-R-P
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:33
Because it offers almost no protection. The main "radiator" grill is considered good enough for airflow and yet it would stop most flying debris.

Harvey
Monday 7th October 2013, 14:59
The fins on the intercooler are only attached at the ends and not to the heat exchanger bit ,but the fins could help with a bit of down force :slap:

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:02
That's why the fins are fitted, for cooling, and protection.

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:03
Because it offers almost no protection. The main "radiator" grill is considered good enough for airflow and yet it would stop most flying debris.
They obviously researched the design, rather than just fitting it as a whim.

mr nozzle
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:06
Thanks guys, I did mean just the fins. I was thinking of getting some mesh and fitting that. That would make it go quicker yeah? :pimp2:

graemewelch
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:08
i dont have them on mine. one less thing to worry about

stribo
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:27
i dont have them on mine. one less thing to worry about

You don't have the secondary intercooler. ;)

Al115
Monday 7th October 2013, 15:51
Mine has taken a bashing (rock fell off a truck a few months back and hit it) - so if it was easily swapped, I would! But for now... straighten it, paint matt black, and you can't see it again :)

mr nozzle
Monday 7th October 2013, 16:30
Mine has taken a bashing (rock fell off a truck a few months back and hit it) - so if it was easily swapped, I would! But for now... straighten it, paint matt black, and you can't see it again :)

That's what I was just thinking. Mask up the surrounds and slap on the Hamerite!

graemewelch
Monday 7th October 2013, 16:42
You don't have the secondary intercooler. ;)

dont need one though. got a big alloy front mount :funkybana