PDA

View Full Version : Miltec SS exhaust is coming off reluctantly - help/tips

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th October 2013, 22:49
My miltec SS cat-back exhaust is coming off after 7 years. The new dp cat connection came off without much of a fight. The rest is proving problematic. 7 years of heat expansion & contraction, means my first attempt has been unsuccessful.

I have all the clamps off (some had to come off with an angle grinder)

The joints are the slotted interference joints. There is really only 1 joint that normally sits above the rear arms that needs to be separated. I have brought forward as far as I can to get better access.

Don't want to cut the exhaust or damage it - so I am looking for assistance and some tips. Should I heat it up - if so how and what with?

I've used a load of penetrating oil but they aren't budging. Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have waited until after the car was re-assembled.

Tomcat
Saturday 5th October 2013, 22:57
Get yourself a small butane burner from a DIY shop, heat one side of the join up, try turning the pipe with an oil filter wrench. Once you get it moving it should slide out ok with some Wd40 sprayed into it.

craigoodwood
Sunday 6th October 2013, 12:07
if it can weight till next friday and im not working ill come and give you a hand, it wont really be rust or rubbish holding it it'll just be the rib made by the clamp, a flat head screwdriver to open the joint will do it ;)

stribo
Sunday 6th October 2013, 13:23
When I took the exhaust off my C70 I jacked the car up as high as I could, then undid the n/s rear damper lower mount, and released it, this allowed the rear arm to swing low enough to pull the complete system through from the front of the car, as mine didn't have a joint above the rear suspension. I also had to cut the rear hanger off the exhaust to get it through the gap, but it was only a bit of threaded rod that had been welded on.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:02
Thanks craig - if you could spare the time then I'd be grateful of a bit of help just to keep things steady.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:06
When I took the exhaust off my C70 I jacked the car up as high as I could, then undid the n/s rear damper lower mount, and released it, this allowed the rear arm to swing low enough to pull the complete system through from the front of the car, as mine didn't have a joint above the rear suspension. I also had to cut the rear hanger off the exhaust to get it through the gap, but it was only a bit of threaded rod that had been welded on. Depends how well things go - I may yet opt for this.

graemewelch
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:20
i take it things havnt gone to well today. i forgot they go over the axle. hope things go to plan tomora

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:31
Today I didn't go anywhere near it because I was out at a christening. I'll give it another look on Tuesday if I get chance.

graemewelch
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:32
never a good idea when have your sunday best clothes on.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:34
Got enough grief just spending a couple of hours trying the first time.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 6th October 2013, 21:42
As Stribo did... I had to disassemble the rear quarter to get the exhaust out in one go as I couldn't get the car high enough.

Hope Tuesday goes better..

craigoodwood
Thursday 10th October 2013, 21:33
Thanks craig - if you could spare the time then I'd be grateful of a bit of help just to keep things steady.

i have gotta work tomorra i'm afraid dave but can probably arrange sometime over the weekend if you like ;)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th October 2013, 22:00
Nevermind - I'll have another crack myself tomorrow evening if there's time. Failing that then anytime on Saturday would be good. I promised to go see Mr Welsh this Sunday.

graemewelch
Thursday 10th October 2013, 22:01
no worries if you cant make sunday. are you anywear near sheffield. im heading that way on mon or tues. got a new toy to collect

craigoodwood
Saturday 12th October 2013, 09:45
i have gotta work tomorra i'm afraid dave but can probably arrange sometime over the weekend if you like ;)

sorry dave i feel like a tw@ for offering and not honouring, my mrs got herself a spiral fracture in her left leg last night so i'm not gonna be able to assist you any time soon i doubt, sorry dave... :worried:

stribo
Saturday 12th October 2013, 09:49
sorry dave i feel like a tw@ for offering and not honouring, my mrs got herself a spiral fracture in her left leg last night so i'm not gonna be able to assist you any time soon i doubt, sorry dave... :worried:
That sounds nasty mate, how did she manage that?

stephenevans99
Saturday 12th October 2013, 10:26
... are you anywear near sheffield. im heading that way on mon or tues. got a new toy to collect

If you're anywhere near Stannington....I know THE best chippy, owner just happens to have a 450bhp+ T5 to boot :) Lovely Jubbly

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th October 2013, 18:34
...owner just
happens to have a 450bhp+ T5 to boot :) Lovely Jubbly

now that is funny

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th October 2013, 18:38
I have managed to get the 2 halves apart...

Clamped it in place then knocked the living daylights out of it with one of these

stephenevans99
Saturday 12th October 2013, 18:50
now that is funny

I was being serious :( Do you know different Dave?

Tomcat
Saturday 12th October 2013, 18:51
I have managed to get the 2 halves apart...

Clamped it in place then knocked the living daylights out of it with one of these

If in doubt.....lump hammer...you know it makes sense,lol..