PDA

View Full Version : 2007 V70 issue ...Soot Filter Full ?

The Flying Banana
Monday 30th September 2013, 13:49
Hi guys,

Can anyone help with this situation …I have a 2007 V70 D5 …..its done 190000 miles and until recently was a great car but now I am plagued with a message about Soot Filter full which involves no boost and limp mode. Manual suggests steady driving for 20 mins until message clears

It does clear but heads straight back in to limp mode and same message

Can this be by-passed in anyway, the mpg is also rubbish now …about 34 average and dropping, garage that services it say all is as it should be and to do what the manual says but its gutless now

2nd issue is that its going thru a lot of oil, its not leaking but isn’t blowing smoke either …it’s a mystery

Any help appreciated as its going to Paris a week on Friday and need this sorted

Cheers in Advance

FB

M-R-P
Monday 30th September 2013, 13:51
Clogged egr?

be worth a look.

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 30th September 2013, 13:57
the problem you have is that the soot filter is so blocked the car cannot clear it automatically.
there is procedure called a forced regereration, where you can tell the car to carry out the soot filter burn off by demand.
this can clear it in all but the most clogged soot filters.

i think the use of oil may be linked to the fact it is trying to regererate.
i'm actually surprised it seems to be using more- it used to be common that when the regereration happens, fuel could pass the pistons and go down into the sump causing the oil level to rise.

you can tell if a car is doing a re-gen whilst you are driving as you normally observe a very hot smell - the ideal conditions for it to do this automatically is on the motorway.

the worst conditions for the car is to only carry out short journeys around time, or long journeys at slight throttle.- both of these can allow the soot filter to fill up quickly.
VW removed the soot filter from their taxi models, and any car i have ever deat with that had them installed has had issues of one type of another.

The Flying Banana
Monday 30th September 2013, 14:05
it does try to re gen itself but its unsuccessful, where is this filter , does anyone know

The car does a 50 mile trip to work in morning on motorway and same at night ( maybe some town hopping in between on some days )

I take it the forced re-gen is thru a laptop etc

Apologies on thick questions..i am used to diesels going on forever with litle or no issues lol

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:06
yes it is forced by selecting through vida.

the filter is at the start of the downpipe. - i dont think it is possible to manually clean it out though, and tbh i would not try - the monitoring system is by expensive pressure sensors.
that's how it knows it is blocked, by the amount of back pressure.

Harvey
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:02
I am sure the Renault system will only let you do a forced burn only once and if that doesn't clear it you got it fit a new unit.
Is the volvo system the same .

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:04
i dont think it is physically restricted as far as i know, but if it doesnt clear by this method then a new one is required.
i remember we had a taxi 2006 2.4d (private chauffer) in with 400k on it, and that had at least 3 on various occasions.

foammanmark
Thursday 17th February 2022, 15:00
Holy thread resurrection.

I have exactly these issues with my D5 185. Using a litre of oil every 200 miles, constantly in and out of limp due to the soot filter full.

Off for the EGR clean tomorrow, just had the swirl flap job done and then timing belt if I sort the soot filter issue. On 197k miles but I want 300k from her.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 17th February 2022, 19:51
Holy thread resurrection.

I have exactly these issues with my D5 185. Using a litre of oil every 200 miles, constantly in and out of limp due to the soot filter full.

Off for the EGR clean tomorrow, just had the swirl flap job done and then timing belt if I sort the soot filter issue. On 197k miles but I want 300k from her.
A mate of mine had the same issue. The indy he took it to did all the usual stuff, regenerated it, cleaned everything, still didn't work. In the end he said they said that there was a timer/mileage counter in the software that said the DPF needed replacing and they did something to reset it and it's been fine ever since (been a few years now). It was on about 70k at the time.

Not sure how true it is :/

foammanmark
Sunday 20th February 2022, 17:24
You might be making a good point there. The garage called me on Friday to tell me that the EGR clean had been done, but that I have some sort of ECU issue.

Let me tell them what you say above and report back.