PDA

View Full Version : Munsters Saffron S70R...from munter to MINTER!

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:27
Just thought I would open a new thread for the new addition to the Munster household.

I bought this car from a long time friend of mine who has had it for 13 years. It was originally a Volvo demo car then was leased by Volvo to Cocked Hat Foods of Ripon, North Yorkshire hence the private plate B4 CHF. Apparently in 2000 they didn't keep up the payments and the car was repossessed by Volvo and was put on the forecourt at Harratts Volvo in Barnsley. My mate saw it and traded the V70 10 valve he had bought just 2 months earlier from them and has had it ever since. He got it with 15k on the clock and it now has 108K.
It had been SORN for 16 months as he wasn't using it regularly and it sat under a tree in his driveway looking sorry for itself. I had periodically asked him to sell it and he never would. As fate would have it, I was due to go and buy KFC's car last month until he broke it, and literally 48 hrs later I got the phone call saying this car was possibly for sale.
Went and had a look first, then took T5Pete for a look and a deal was done to buy the car as was with no MOT or Road tax.
As it had stood for a while the brakes were all crap and so I took it to my mates garage who took it for the MOT. Long story short was it failed on a ball joint/wishbone, ABS lamp on, w/washers inop and all brakes crap/unbalanced.
Told my mate to do the work and give it me back with MOT, and it came back earlier in the week with a full ticket on. Wont be taxing it till 1st October so had a little time to have a fettle.
Took it up to t5Petes today and did a full service, used all Volvo OEM service items as got a good deal through a contact.
Oil change and oil/air filter change
fuel filter change
new Rotor arm and distributor cap
new spark plugs
new expansion tank
replaced coolant with nice new stuff

Car runs lovely and smooth, cant wait to use it.

I have decide to take inspiration from Bonelorry's Gul and Grahams V70 and want to, over time try and get my car to that standard. I don't want to throw dump valves and blue hoses at it like I did the 854, just want to improve it and make it gleam in a factory-ish stylee.

First job to do was the de gunking of all the crud that had been on it so a quick wash down with Meg's wash and wax shampoo and conditioner. Im not really a show and shine guy, anything more than 90 mins of washin and I get a bit bored so will be doing it a bit at a time. It will need a good cut back as time permits but not today.

Yeah, I know....stop waffling and stick some pictures up :-)

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/library/Munsters%20saffy%20S70R?sort=3&page=1

foammanmark
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:34
Car looks great Wayne. Hope she goes well for you.

martybelfastt5
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:36
that looks fab mate love it!!! manual too :funkybana
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/Munsters%20saffy%20S70R/032.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/Munsters%20saffy%20S70R/032.jpg.html)

WOODY T5
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:38
Oh look at u very nice mate

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:41
that looks fab mate love it!!! manual too :funkybana
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/Munsters%20saffy%20S70R/032.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/Munsters%20saffy%20S70R/032.jpg.html)

Im just lucky I guess, fully specced up with working Volvo pop up sat nav....kinda bit friggin useless tho as its a 1997 cd in it and half the roads don't exist lol
Ive ordered a new leather gear knob from Volvo as the original seems to have peeled like a banana, no idea what he was doing with it!

foammanmark
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:43
I could see that the gearknob has seen better days, but didn't like to say so.

Biff
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:45
Im just lucky I guess, fully specced up with working Volvo pop up sat nav....kinda bit friggin useless tho as its a 1997 cd in it and half the roads don't exist lol
Ive ordered a new leather gear knob from Volvo as the original seems to have peeled like a banana, no idea what he was doing with it!

The gear knobs are crap mate, mine was goosed but at 3 times your mileage. You will get that stunning I'm sure & saffron is a lovely colour isn't it? Every time I wash mine it grows on me. Very marmite though. Lol
I'd be tempted with a few choice mods but I think your doing the right thing cleaning it up to a minter.

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:49
There is a long list of jobs to do as time permits. One of the rear spoiler brackets has broken so have ordered a fitting kit. Front passenger door wont unlock with the central locking, will lock but not unlock so you have to reach over and unlock it manually....or don't carry passengers.
Wheels want a refurb, full interior valet, electric aerial doesn't work and have no code for the radio but nothing too serious.
Had bought a remapped ecu from a S70 t5 but it wont play on mine so gonna send it back.
All in all though, its a nice car and will be a keeper for sure.

foammanmark
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:50
Saffy is a great colour IMO, and was my first choice when I got a performance Volvo, although I settled for silver. Not Marmite at all, as I think everyone likes it...

foammanmark
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:51
There is a long list of jobs to do as time permits. One of the rear spoiler brackets has broken so have ordered a fitting kit. Front passenger door wont unlock with the central locking, will lock but not unlock so you have to reach over and unlock it manually....or don't carry passengers.
Wheels want a refurb, full interior valet, electric aerial doesn't work and have no code for the radio but nothing too serious.
Had bought a remapped ecu from a S70 t5 but it wont play on mine so gonna send it back.
All in all though, its a nice car and will be a keeper for sure.

Nothing at all to Edd China, sorry I mean Pete.

V70 Graham
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:52
Looks a great car Wayne, looking forward to seeing this project progress.

Thank you, I am flattered you view my (wife's) car so highly.

AndysR
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:54
Looks smart that, and I'm sure you'll have it up to mint condition in no time, not that it doesn't look far of it now :)

Biff
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:55
Saffy is a great colour IMO, and was my first choice when I got a performance Volvo, although I settled for silver. Not Marmite at all, as I think everyone likes it...

I get pure stick from the lads, 1 for being a Volvo & 2 for being gay gold (I should never of told them that!). I prefer to call it saffron. Lol

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 20:57
Nothing at all to Edd China, sorry I mean Pete.

Yep, ones a tall, gangly know it all with a stupid haircut....and the other is on Wheeler Dealers PMSL

V70 Graham
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:03
Yep, ones a tall, gangly know it all with a stupid haircut....and the other is on Wheeler Dealers PMSL

Cheers mate, just spat diet coke on the cat !

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:03
Looks smart that, and I'm sure you'll have it up to mint condition in no time, not that it doesn't look far of it now :)

In all fairness, there are cars on here that I really admire and aspire to get mine in the same ball park as. I don't have the money spare to do it all now so it will be a long term project and I will chip away a bit at a time. Without the help and advice from members on here and particularly big Pete it would be a non starter so big thanks to y'all :-)

c70geoff
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:04
lovely car fella can't wait to see the progress although i am a tad jealous as i'm now in the hunt for one too

munster732
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:06
lovely car fella can't wait to see the progress although i am a tad jealous as i'm now in the hunt for one too

You seen the one on Ebay, 330bhp allegedly and started at 99p...was upto £2500 in less than 8 hrs of a 10 day listing

c70geoff
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:09
does look nice but i'm lookin for a project t less money
doubt i'll find but worth a shot

t5 pete
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:11
In all fairness, there are cars on here that I really admire and aspire to get mine in the same ball park as. I don't have the money spare to do it all now so it will be a long term project and I will chip away a bit at a time. Without the help and advice from members on here and particularly big Pete it would be a non starter so big thanks to y'all :-)

Cost has just gone up you nob lol

AndysR
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:13

It helps when you start with a good base, which you appear to have and I'm sure if you ask the owners of the cars you aspire to they will tell you it takes time and patience to get the car to that level so no rush :)

V70 Graham
Sunday 29th September 2013, 21:20
Andy's right, been working on mine for almost 2 years now, and I'm pleased with my progress so far, as I keep telling people it's better to do things slowly and think about what your doing.

Tomcat
Sunday 29th September 2013, 22:03
Speak to Volvo for the radio code, provided its the one that came with the car they should normally just tell you over the phone what the code is.

iancho
Monday 30th September 2013, 05:28
Great to see another Saffy being loved and cared for, Knowing you Wayne it will be a stunner by the time you've finished :)

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 05:36

That's the way mate just keep chipping away at it! Very very nice motor. Nice to see another S70 project :D. I like the estates (previous car was an '99 V70R) but the saloons do it for me. The boot is usually big enough for what I carry about

A manual so the 18T turbo! Cool. M4.4 also I guess...

Can we have more pictures please! Under the bonnet and all that :D

Is that spoiler an 'R' one or T5....?

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 07:14
Lovely looking car mate, I guess you still regret selling the C70 as you've gone for the same colour. ;)

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 07:48
That's the way mate just keep chipping away at it! Very very nice motor. Nice to see another S70 project :D. I like the estates (previous car was an '99 V70R) but the saloons do it for me. The boot is usually big enough for what I carry about

A manual so the 18T turbo! Cool. M4.4 also I guess...

Can we have more pictures please! Under the bonnet and all that :D

Is that spoiler an 'R' one or T5....?

I will post pictures of the engine bay when I've had time to clean it cos it's dirty and looks chod. One thing we did notice is the airbox is blank, doesn't have TURBO on it like the 850.
The rear spoiler is the factory standard one and is same as a t5 one. There wasn't a different one like on the 850 R but an 850 R one will fit if you can find one.
Car is 4.4 but gutted that the Rica ECU isn't compatible but that's how it goes.
Wayne

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 07:56
I will post pictures of the engine bay when I've had time to clean it cos it's dirty and looks chod. One thing we did notice is the airbox is blank, doesn't have TURBO on it like the 850.
The rear spoiler is the factory standard one and is same as a t5 one. There wasn't a different one like on the 850 R but an 850 R one will fit if you can find one.
Car is 4.4 but gutted that the Rica ECU isn't compatible but that's how it goes.
Wayne

I thought there was an R spoiler and a T5 one for the S70's? No? Good [crosses off line in 'to do' list]

There are some of those turbo airbox lids for sale on eBay, just down the road from me actually in Shildon. I considered it for a bit then thought nah.

I've got a Rica ECU for an auto with 16T.....probably not compatible either....? You are welcome to try it if it does work - the part number is 0 261 204 449

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 07:58
Lovely looking car mate, I guess you still regret selling the C70 as you've gone for the same colour. ;)

At the time the c70 was my only car and no good for my lil part time business to carry stuff. Then came round to the idea that I deserve a present and a car for play and weekends so the v40 diesel is the daily and the R is for fun. I don't smoke, rarely drink or do loose women so methinks I deserve a reward, and that reward is gay gold

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:21
I thought there was an R spoiler and a T5 one for the S70's? No? Good [crosses off line in 'to do' list]

There are some of those turbo airbox lids for sale on eBay, just down the road from me actually in Shildon. I considered it for a bit then thought nah.

I've got a Rica ECU for an auto with 16T.....probably not compatible either....? You are welcome to try it if it does work - the part number is 0 261 204 449

Thanks buddy, going to do some research into the 4.4 and compatibility, or just get a HLM ecu. I take it you know Chris (Ripstaa) as he's up your neck of he woods? That's where the Ecu came from and will be going back in next few days along with ABS Ecu for a precautionary refurb.
Wayne

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 08:32
Thanks buddy, going to do some research into the 4.4 and compatibility, or just get a HLM ecu. I take it you know Chris (Ripstaa) as he's up your neck of he woods? That's where the Ecu came from and will be going back in next few days along with ABS Ecu for a precautionary refurb.
Wayne

Yes that's the fella with the turbo air box lids. I'll ask TME about compatibility also just in case. Good plan for the ABS control unit, mine went on the V70. I can switch my TRACS on and off in the S70....maybe that will help make it last longer lol

Cheers

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 11:44

You thought right mate, the R spoiler sits higher than the T5 spoiler. WoodyT5 is running a R spoiler by the looks of it.

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 11:47
You thought right mate, the R spoiler sits higher than the T5 spoiler. WoodyT5 is running a R spoiler by the looks of it.

Ta, this bloody to do list keeps getting longer and longer. Hard work when I am saving for a Renault 5 Turbo 2 (got a five pound note so far)

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 12:25

Just spoke to TME, 16T auto map no good for 18T manual booo sorry fella.

Can I quote myself? Just did

Jim S70R
Monday 30th September 2013, 14:08
Very very nice car that you've got yourself, again as said in above post nice to see another saffy being loved!! I'll have to take the dust off mine and we'll all have arrange a photo shot at some point.

T5frankie
Monday 30th September 2013, 14:44

all s70's came with the same spoiler mate, i has an 854r spoiler on mine

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20121203_154506.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/t5frankie/media/My%20cars/20121203_154506.jpg.html)
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20121203_154427.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/t5frankie/media/My%20cars/20121203_154427.jpg.html)

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 14:48
all s70's came with the same spoiler mate, i has an 854r spoiler on mine

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20121203_154506.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/t5frankie/media/My%20cars/20121203_154506.jpg.html)
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/My%20cars/20121203_154427.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/t5frankie/media/My%20cars/20121203_154427.jpg.html)

nice, cheers for info fella

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:05
Ah, I knew there was a different one to standard.

T5frankie
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:12
you'll be lucky to find one though as they only came on 850r saloons

partsforvolvos.com
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:40
should've kept that one frankie

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:41
You will have to use your own ecu for mapping the 70'r they are the only cars in the 70 range with one lambda all the others have 2.

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 15:55
You will have to use your own ecu for mapping the 70'r they are the only cars in the 70 range with one lambda all the others have 2.

eh? thought they had two - mine has so I would guess that the manual verson has a front and rear 02 sensor...?

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:06
eh? thought they had two - mine has so I would guess that the manual verson has a front and rear 02 sensor...?

Sorry mate what car do you have?

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:10
Sorry mate what car do you have?

I meant my S70 T5 auto

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:14
I meant my S70 T5 auto

Yours will have 2 the r's only have a pre cat lambda

jamesy12345
Monday 30th September 2013, 16:35
Yours will have 2 the r's only have a pre cat lambda

oh cheers Jim, I didn't realise...more new knowledge gained, busy day today!

Jim S70R
Monday 30th September 2013, 18:07
The 854 R saloon spolier has got to be one the best mods you could do to the looks on an s70 should of come from Volvo with one fitted as standard!! My R has 2 lambda sensors, when I changed to a larger downpipe which only came with one sensor hole I had the ECU sent away to have it deleted off, so the car now runs with one.

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:18
Very very nice car that you've got yourself, again as said in above post nice to see another saffy being loved!! I'll have to take the dust off mine and we'll all have arrange a photo shot at some point.

Thanks Jim, means a lot coming from you. I would jump at the chance to get together for a photo shoot, although I would feel very, very inferior as mine has a long way to go to get it anywhere near the standard of yours.

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:20

It was pointed out by big Petey that I only had one lambda sensor when we were under it on sunday

Jim S70R
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:25
Thanks Jim, means a lot coming from you. I would jump at the chance to get together for a photo shoot, although I would feel very, very inferior as mine has a long way to go to get it anywhere near the standard of yours.

Like what the guys where saying earlier on it takes time to sort it all out to get as nice as you want it, you've certainly got yourself a good one as a starting platform so your already over half way there. I've spent 6 years on mine and I'm still not finished with it, it's got plenty of things left to do trust me.

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:30
Quick update on the munter, went out last night after leaving the car on the drive for about 2 hours. My nice new pink anti freeze had made a break for freedom and was legging it down my drive :-(
It was very dark but with the aid of a torch I saw the expansion tank was almost empty and the drip was somewhere in the vicinity of the middle of the undertray. Whipped undertray off and could see that it was coming from somewhere on the off side radiator end cap. Bloody car is so low I couldn't get my trolley jack under and as it was dark and I was getting scared I went in.
After work today I put the car onto axle stands and topped the expansion tank up. Ran the car for 15 mins until the car had cut the fan in a few times....no leaks at all??? Turned it off and put some cardboard under the car and within 5 mins a small drop was forming at the bottom of the radiator end cap. Thinking of putting some Rad seal through it or such like tomorrow as it only seems a slight leak. If that fails it will get a new rad fitted.
Welcome to S70R ownership, she's already spat the dummy out lol

Jim S70R
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:34
Quick update on the munter, went out last night after leaving the car on the drive for about 2 hours. My nice new pink anti freeze had made a break for freedom and was legging it down my drive :-(
It was very dark but with the aid of a torch I saw the expansion tank was almost empty and the drip was somewhere in the vicinity of the middle of the undertray. Whipped undertray off and could see that it was coming from somewhere on the off side radiator end cap. Bloody car is so low I couldn't get my trolley jack under and as it was dark and I was getting scared I went in.
After work today I put the car onto axle stands and topped the expansion tank up. Ran the car for 15 mins until the car had cut the fan in a few times....no leaks at all??? Turned it off and put some cardboard under the car and within 5 mins a small drop was forming at the bottom of the radiator end cap. Thinking of putting some Rad seal through it or such like tomorrow as it only seems a slight leak. If that fails it will get a new rad fitted.
Welcome to S70R ownership, she's already spat the dummy out lol

Bad times but see it as only a minor set back!! To save any future problems might be worth going straight for a replacement rad.

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:36
It was pointed out by big Petey that I only had one lambda sensor when we were under it on sunday

I have a spare 4.4 for a single lamda if you want to keep your standard one, was going to flog it to Hamish but if you want let me know

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:37
The 854 R saloon spolier has got to be one the best mods you could do to the looks on an s70 should of come from Volvo with one fitted as standard!! My R has 2 lambda sensors, when I changed to a larger downpipe which only came with one sensor hole I had the ECU sent away to have it deleted off, so the car now runs with one.

That's weird???

Jim S70R
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:39
That's weird???

Maybe they changed the design over the different year models perhaps, Early and late S70R's

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:43
My C70 only has one lambda.

Jamest5r
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:43
Maybe they changed the design over the different year models perhaps, Early and late S70R's

Some clever dick will tell us sooner or later :)

t5 pete
Monday 30th September 2013, 19:51
Don't put rad weld in buy a new rad u tight ass lol

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:03

Already ordered big boy, the path from munter to minter is getting longer lol

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:06
I have a spare 4.4 for a single lamda if you want to keep your standard one, was going to flog it to Hamish but if you want let me know

Pm me a price Jimbo, but be nice cos Ive just bought a radiator and will have to feed the big lad when we fit it...expensive times :-)

V70 Graham
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:07

Wot he said.....if this cars a keeper rad weld will only put the problem off for a bit, and it may let go big style when your miles from home.....get it done, you know it makes sense.

AndysR
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:22
Bad news about the rad but you've made the best choice re getting a replacement and skipping the radweld option :)

Oh just a note the airbox, the turbo labelling on the airbox was dropped on the 70 series cars so you have the correct lid ;)

Is it not possible that the 4.4's all have 2 lambda's?

martybelfastt5
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:53
no one else picked up on the fact munster is scared of the dark.......lol read that out to a freind sitting here he new spat juice all over my living room lol!!!!

stribo
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:55
Bad news about the rad but you've made the best choice re getting a replacement and skipping the radweld option :)

Oh just a note the airbox, the turbo labelling on the airbox was dropped on the 70 series cars so you have the correct lid ;)

Is it not possible that the 4.4's all have 2 lambda's?

But my C70 only has one.

AndysR
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:58
So what models have 2 then? All the full phat R models ;)

Kingsford G
Monday 30th September 2013, 20:59
To change the rad takes 2hours max,easy job and well worth it

munster732
Monday 30th September 2013, 21:01
So what models have 2 then? All the full phat R models ;)

Ive only got one, mine must be a diet R:)

AndysR
Monday 30th September 2013, 21:03
Ive only got one, mine must be a diet R:)

Diet R..? Fpmsl that's quality. Simple minds.. Lol

Yours is manual and Jim's is auto though ;)

munster732
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 22:10
The munter is now taxed, tested and insured...fully road legal :).
Just been to put some fuel in it and the radiator has not leaked a drop lol. Gonna watch this closely for a few days and see what happens.
ABS Ecu is now off and boxed up to go for refurb tomorrow, things to do list gradually getting smaller, good job as it a big feckin' list!
Anyone know what is the correct spec of anti freeze for the car? I like the lovely pink stuff as long as it is compatible and wont knack it up.

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 22:15
tbh for what it is for abs ecu you minds well buy a soldering iron and do it your self weve done a few now

AndysR
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 22:22
Tax, tested and insurance sorted, sounds good :)

I'd go for genuine Volvo coolant ;)

merc85
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:04
Should be G48 spec Green coolant, but G30 red will be fine. just dont mix them

Kingsford G
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:07
Mix 50/50

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:08
Always used blue col anti freeze mixed 50/50

munster732
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:13
tbh for what it is for abs ecu you minds well buy a soldering iron and do it your self weve done a few now

You've never seen me with a soldering iron lol. Me and electronic circuit boards don't mix well so will leave well alone and get it done properly

merc85
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:13
Always used blue col anti freeze mixed 50/50

if your water pump mechanical seals are not designed to handle silicate-based coolants (usually the plain old ethylene glycol or propylene glycol coolants), EG Blue antifreeze, the silicates can destroy the water pump mechanical seals, leading to coolant leaks

munster732
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:19
if your water pump mechanical seals are not designed to handle silicate-based coolants (usually the plain old ethylene glycol or propylene glycol coolants), EG Blue antifreeze, the silicates can destroy the water pump mechanical seals, leading to coolant leaks
ooooh hark at you lol
Sir, you have called into question the knowledge of the leader of my local Volvo church and will therefore be subjected to eternal hell fire and damnation. How very dare you!

Biff
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:19
Auto's have 4.3 which run 2 lamdas.
Manuals have 4.4 which have 1.
Stribo what ecu are you running mate?

merc85
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:20
ooooh hark at you lol
Sir, you have called into question the knowledge of the leader of my local Volvo church and will therefore be subjected to eternal hell fire and damnation. How very dare you!

pmsl

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:26

Been in my car for 10yrs now on same pipes same pumps etc so carnt be that bad and change it every 2 years and never had one leak previous to that my dads been using it for god knows how long also its been in our 240 for the 24yrs weve owned it not one leak and iirc still on original water pump.

merc85
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:30
Been in my car for 10yrs now on same pipes same pumps etc so carnt be that bad amd change it every 2 years and never had one leak previous to that my dads been using it for god knows how long also its been in our 240 for the 24yrs weve owned it not one leak

Just advising the correct antifreeze which should be used in guidance with the manufacturer ie volvo buddy thats all, and adverse effects which may occur if not.

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st October 2013, 23:36
Just advising the correct antifreeze which should be used in guidance with the manufacturer ie volvo buddy thats all, and adverse effects which may occur if not.

I understand what your saying but to me its just way over the top the tolerance for things are way wider than what manufacturers would like us to think.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 03:43

my auto has 4.4....? I thought this was the same engine as the auto R :S

stribo
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 06:32

Mine's running 4.4, and is manual.

stribo
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 06:33
My C70 has blue antifreeze, whereas the R has pink.

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 06:56

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 07:00
I believe my 855 T5-S 1997 only has one...?? But it has been a while since I was under that car!

Jamest5r
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 10:29
I run a 4.4 in an 850 just to confuse you :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 10:41
I've got an umbrella made of rice and wellies made of despair :)

Biff
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 10:52
my auto has 4.4....? I thought this was the same engine as the auto R :S

Huh? On that thread I put up about free awd mapping it had a link to the earlier discussion on Volvo speed. Pretty sure it said 4.3 was for auto. Yours is 240bhp standard jamesy so yeah it has the same set up as an auto r ie 16t & orange injectors.
This is very confusing, stribo I've not heard of anything bar the R's (& Jim, but he's special) running a 4.4. You have a good advantage with that mate.
Btw mine has blue anti freeze in it, its what was in it when I bought it & what was recommended through my local parts factor.
Even more confused. Lol

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 11:33
Huh? On that thread I put up about free awd mapping it had a link to the earlier discussion on Volvo speed. Pretty sure it said 4.3 was for auto. Yours is 240bhp standard jamesy so yeah it has the same set up as an auto r ie 16t & orange injectors.
This is very confusing, stribo I've not heard of anything bar the R's (& Jim, but he's special) running a 4.4. You have a good advantage with that mate.
Btw mine has blue anti freeze in it, its what was in it when I bought it & what was recommended through my local parts factor.
Even more confused. Lol

It's all good! I think mine had white injectors tho...soon will have blue ones anyway. To confuse things further my coolant is a ££££ty brown colour, must have a special edition right here

munster732
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 11:56
It's all good! I think mine had white injectors tho...soon will have blue ones anyway. To confuse things further my coolant is a ££££ty brown colour, must have a special edition right here

Gay gold coolant...excellent news, wanna sell it lol

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:12
Gay gold coolant...excellent news, wanna sell it lol

:D

What year is yours Munster? Here is the brochure for the '98 model year (that's what mine is), it mentions 4.4 but gay coolant colouring is nowhere to be seen! On the To Do list to change, honest!

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/S70TechData1997.pdf

stribo
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:26
Even more confused. Lol

I thought all pre ME7 70 series cars ran 4.4, and 850s ran 4.3.

merc85
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:38
Even more confused. Lol

id be worried about using that factor then doh...more like they didnt care what stuff goes in a old volvo

munster732
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:39
:D

What year is yours Munster? Here is the brochure for the '98 model year (that's what mine is), it mentions 4.4 but gay coolant colouring is nowhere to be seen! On the To Do list to change, honest!

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/S70TechData1997.pdf

Mine is a 97, originally on a P plate when new

jamesy12345
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 12:46
I thought all pre ME7 70 series cars ran 4.4, and 850s ran 4.3.

aww crap u took away my specialness. Never mind my mam still loves me

It doesn't seem like M4.4 ran for a long time at all - between the 850/M4.3 and ME7 is about.....1998 model year??

Mine is a 97, originally on a P plate when new

On the VIN number near the end, V means 1997 and W means 1998

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_70.shtml

munster732
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 19:28
Jamesy, seriously man is there nothing you don't know or can post a link to.
You need to get a girlfriend buddy and try to get out more :uglyhamme

munster732
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 19:38
Had an hour or so spare this evening so decided to look into another of the Munters little niggles. Passenger side front door wont open on the central locking, it will lock but not open so you have to reach over and open it from inside.
had already pulled the door card off at the weekend but couldn't see anything obvious. Decided to take the door lock unit out and see if I could see what the problem was. Having never done one before it was a little tense but then got it out after a fit of combo swearing.
I think it is an internal fault with nothing obvious so its a trip to the breakers yard tomorrow to claim a replacement.
Had to park the car tight upto the wall and bungee the door to the handbrake lever as hadn't thought about the fact there would be no door lock in the door DOH!

AndysR
Wednesday 2nd October 2013, 21:44
Even more confused. Lol

Auto 70 series R's run 4.4 and whites, the only difference between auto and manual is the turbo ;)

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 03:41
Jamesy, seriously man is there nothing you don't know or can post a link to.
You need to get a girlfriend buddy and try to get out more :uglyhamme

LOL cheers! I'm not very good at cars but can do the internet haha, as for wimmin yeah not so good at them either :D.....maybe I could combine the two and get meself an internet ladyeee!!

Auto 70 series R's run 4.4 and whites, the only difference between auto and manual is the turbo ;)

Right first job when I get some time on the car, what colour are my injectors...?? U mean S70's Andy right cos my V70R was ME7........this is complicated, Munster look what you have started!

martybelfastt5
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 11:19
Had an hour or so spare this evening so decided to look into another of the Munters little niggles. Passenger side front door wont open on the central locking, it will lock but not open so you have to reach over and open it from inside.
had already pulled the door card off at the weekend but couldn't see anything obvious. Decided to take the door lock unit out and see if I could see what the problem was. Having never done one before it was a little tense but then got it out after a fit of combo swearing.
I think it is an internal fault with nothing obvious so its a trip to the breakers yard tomorrow to claim a replacement.
Had to park the car tight upto the wall and bungee the door to the handbrake lever as hadn't thought about the fact there would be no door lock in the door DOH!

im breaking an 850 the door locking mech is the same im nears sure if your stuck.........

munster732
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 18:04
im breaking an 850 the door locking mech is the same im nears sure if your stuck.........

Cheers mate but been to scrap yard today and got one off a V70 for a fiver!
Got home and it was honking it down, so popped the old golf umbrella up above the door and put the replacement lock in. All works a treat now so good to know I can lock it properly tonight without bungees.
Took me about 45 mins to refit lock, handle and door card and its all back together and looking complete again.
Most importantly was the sense of achievement as I did it all on my very own self with no imput/advice/frustration from the impatient gorilla that normally swipes me out of the way and takes over :biggrin:
I even managed to answer my own stupid questions lol

munster732
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 18:07
LOL cheers! I'm not very good at cars but can do the internet haha, as for wimmin yeah not so good at them either :D.....maybe I could combine the two and get meself an internet ladyeee!!

Right first job when I get some time on the car, what colour are my injectors...?? U mean S70's Andy right cos my V70R was ME7........this is complicated, Munster look what you have started!

That's the last time I ask which anti freeze to use lol
As for the internet laydee....always scoop em first, just to be sure:funkybana

jamesy12345
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 18:29
That's the last time I ask which anti freeze to use lol
As for the internet laydee....always scoop em first, just to be sure:funkybana

Doctor Pepper, what's the worst that could happen?? Kidding mate I've got a wife and a girlfriend, this is escapism!!

edit: although.......http://www.online-dating-ukraine.com/?advID=699671

t5 pete
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 18:53
Cheers mate but been to scrap yard today and got one off a V70 for a fiver!
Got home and it was honking it down, so popped the old golf umbrella up above the door and put the replacement lock in. All works a treat now so good to know I can lock it properly tonight without bungees.
Took me about 45 mins to refit lock, handle and door card and its all back together and looking complete again.
Most importantly was the sense of achievement as I did it all on my very own self with no imput/advice/frustration from the impatient gorilla that normally swipes me out of the way and takes over :biggrin:
I even managed to answer my own stupid questions lol

Bout time you learned I was just about to give up all hope on you

Jamest5r
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 20:28
Here you go Wayne,

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy185/jamesclancy/DSC_0116_zps14a29aba.jpg (http://s790.photobucket.com/user/jamesclancy/media/DSC_0116_zps14a29aba.jpg.html)

munster732
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 20:38
VIN number near the end, V means 1997 and W means 1998

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_70.shtml

errm, my car was registered on 30/06/97 and has a W in the chassis number indicating 1998....let the confusion reign lol

AndysR
Thursday 3rd October 2013, 21:40

I meant S and V70R's tbh. The early non Me7 cars should all be running whites.

jamesy12345
Friday 4th October 2013, 03:52
errm, my car was registered on 30/06/97 and has a W in the chassis number indicating 1998....let the confusion reign lol

Cos the 1998 model year was from May '97 or something like that. Same as mine, it was registered in '97 but is a '98.

edit: sorry, April '97 until August '98

munster732
Friday 4th October 2013, 19:52
Another couple of hours of daylight so took on another of the niggles. The electric aerial hasn't worked for ages so I bought an aftermarket replacement and set about fitting it. It was a bit smaller than the OEM one so had to make a little bracket to support the unit, had a bit of aluminium bar in garage and got it sorted. Now have tunes as got the radio code from the Volvo dealer as well so its melodic marvelousness for the weekend and beyond.
Have been checking the leaky radiator and it seems to have cured itself for the moment. Its dry as a bone and have checked it every time its been running so ive no idea what the hell is going on there. Will take a few months to convince me its fully cured and till then will watch it like a hawk.
There are a couple of tiny rust bubbles just starting to show under the paint on the boot lid so have sourced a replacement in saffron with excellent paint and will be going to pick it up tomorrow morning. It is a little anal I know but the fact is I want to get the car as good as I possibly can. The seller wanted extra for the spoiler but told him I would bring mine so he could leave them as one piece to avoid damaging it. On taking it off, the gel pad under one corner took a massive chunk of paint off with it:grumpy:
Ah well, will swap the lock over tomorrow and try and get a helper to give me a hand to fit it soon as.
Also going to get a Rica chip soldered into the ECU over the weekend, looking forward to giving it a poke :biggrin:

AndysR
Friday 4th October 2013, 20:13
Some steady progress made and the Rica should make it even more enjoyable to drive, just keep an eye on that rad ;)

munster732
Saturday 5th October 2013, 18:27
Another productive day....kinda lol. Got my bootlid and have it stripped ready for fitting. Cant do it on my own so gonna try and get a little(big) helper to give me 15 mins assistance as I bolt it on tomorrow.
Had the Rica soldered in and oh yes, much more like it should be from the factory:biggrin:
Its a lot quieter and more refined than the 850 plus without the dump valve and poly top mount its a more grown up place to be.
Big Wayne's question time, Ive had the ABS light on since I bought the car. My mate, who has serviced it for years said it was the rear ABS sensor and it has been on and off for about 2 years. I left it with him to get it MOT'd and got it back with a full ticket but when I collected it the ABS and Tracs lamps were on???? He said they were off for the MOT but on checking the rear axle the sensors haven't been done. He hasn't sent me the bill yet so im waiting to see if he has charged me for the sensors. So I sent the ABS ECU off to be reconditioned to take that out of the equation, got it back today and refitted it and the ABS lamp is still on. No codes are stored as I read them today.
When we looked it over on the ramp Pete said the reluctor rings looked shagged so I guess next thing to change is them. If that doesn't sort it then will move onto sensors but don't like changing things just for the sake of it so would rather know what the problen is.
Any ideas guys??
Oh yeah, since refitting the ABS ECU the speedo doesn't work either:cussing:

AndysR
Saturday 5th October 2013, 19:58
Sounds to me like a abs speed sensor tbh. When the reluctor rings break or are faulty/cracked/corroded or have chipped teeth it usually makes the abs active almost all the time whilst braking because the system can't measure the speed. That said if the ring falls off it can then cause the light to come on. It might also be worth trying to source a spare abs ecu to test and make sure it's not your abs ecu causing the fault. One other thing have you tried disconnecting the battery? It probably won't solve anything but 15 mins of no power on the system is a cheap fix if it works ;)

munster732
Saturday 5th October 2013, 20:13
Sounds to me like a abs speed sensor tbh. When the reluctor rings break or are faulty/cracked/corroded or have chipped teeth it usually makes the abs active almost all the time whilst braking because the system can't measure the speed. That said if the ring falls off it can then cause the light to come on. It might also be worth trying to source a spare abs ecu to test and make sure it's not your abs ecu causing the fault. One other thing have you tried disconnecting the battery? It probably won't solve anything but 15 mins of no power on the system is a cheap fix if it works ;)

Thanks Andy, is there any way to narrow down which sensor? I know the rears are on one loom and connect to an electrical plug somewhere near fuel tank. I guess if they've been there for 16 years they will be a dog to get out! Would the sensor also stop the speedo working? I assume the signal is taken from the abs sensor?

AndysR
Saturday 5th October 2013, 20:40
I think its fair to assume that the speedo takes a reading from a front wheel speed sensor baring in mind that it shoots up if the car wheel spins ;)

You can check the voltage readings from each sensor and see how they compare for testing purposes also you could check the resistances of the sensors and compare them to each other on the axle ie compare fronts with each other and rears with each other. It's odd that the speedo has stopped working since the ecu was repaired, if I were you I'd start with the ecu first as a first port of call ;)

Also might be worth checking the fuses are all ok, it could be that you blew it when fitting or removing the ecu by accident ;)

munster732
Sunday 6th October 2013, 18:17
I think its fair to assume that the speedo takes a reading from a front wheel speed sensor baring in mind that it shoots up if the car wheel spins ;)

Your mocking me aren't you! Yeah well join the queue pal lol

Decided to get up at 7am as the missus got in from nights and crack on with the car.
The reason for the change was a small bit of rust coming thru
As no other silly sods were up at that time on a sunday morning I set about changing the boot lid on my own. Took out the lights, Popped off the gas struts and stuck my arm thru the light holes and took out the 4 securing bolts. Lifted the old one off and rested the new one in its place before bolting it up thru the light holes again. Quite simple actually.
Noticed that there was a lot of crud around the lights as it had been stood for 16 months under a tree so whipped them out and clean the crud out.....minging

OMFG, im taking the lights out to clean behind them. Think its time to get my PCV license and drive very, very slowly:cuckoo:

And finally, do take care when taking a 16 year old spoiler off. Was almost off and the gel pads took a chunk of paint off....would be gutted if I hadn't got the new boot lid with the spoiler already attatched.

Spent a few hours cleaning the under bonnet area, took the wipers off and took the plastic tray out from underneath. Never seen so much crap, was full of leaves and pine needles. Took me ages to clean and hoover all the muck out but at least the paint is saffron again not black lol.
To be honest I got bored at that point so went to the local Kosovan drivethru who hand washed it in next to no time, plus the wife was up so had to go in a have a conversation with her.

Disconnected battery for a couple of hours to see if ABS light was gonna go out.....NOPE, quelle surprise!

munster732
Sunday 6th October 2013, 18:38
A quick shot of the engine bay for Jamesy, it aint anywhere near done and needs hours spending on it to get it anywhere near an acceptable standard. But it is a stack better than it was, trust me.

Just been out to the car and guess what???

Nearly shat a brick....was only a small seep from the inline filter at bottom of windscreen washer bottle....thank feck. Radiator is still dry:bounce:

jamesy12345
Monday 7th October 2013, 04:24
A quick shot of the engine bay for Jamesy, it aint anywhere near done and needs hours spending on it to get it anywhere near an acceptable standard. But it is a stack better than it was, trust me.

Just been out to the car and guess what???

Nearly shat a brick....was only a small seep from the inline filter at bottom of windscreen washer bottle....thank feck. Radiator is still dry:bounce:

Nice! One of the first things I look at when opening a bonnet is the colour of the coolant, just sort of jumps out at you. With a new expansion tank and fresh coolant looks good! You need to get the anti-fiddling strap off the ECU box, it can cause you a problem in later life :D

munster732
Wednesday 9th October 2013, 19:40
Got some new presents through the post today courtesy of Rufe
Tried to remove the gear knob nicely for about 2 mins then got bored and got out the hacksaw:biggrin:
Butchered it off and put the nice new shiny Volvo leather one on. Tis a much nicer place to be now!

Took the car round to my mates garage to plug it in to get codes read. Couldn't communicate with the ABS system so unplugged wiring loom and reconnected it again and voila, communication restored. Comes up as osr abs sensor. He didn't change it for the MOT as the only fault codes were for brake light switch so gonna order the rear axle set and hopefully that will sort it. He turned out the light and said it would prob come back on. Speedo works again as well...must just have been the retard who fitted the ABS ECU and didn't get the connection quite right:dunce:

AndysR
Wednesday 9th October 2013, 21:10
Great work, I love reading and seeing how this car is and has progressed in such a short time..

Keep up the good work :)

V70 Graham
Wednesday 9th October 2013, 22:04
Dear Wayne,

a) great job on the gear knob, looks a lot better than the old one, not bad hacksawing either lol

b) please learn how to post grown up (bigger) pictures

Yours,

VPC

munster732
Thursday 10th October 2013, 05:31
Dear Wayne,

a) great job on the gear knob, looks a lot better than the old one, not bad hacksawing either lol

b) please learn how to post grown up (bigger) pictures

Yours,

VPC

I only wish I could do bigger gentlemen...story of my life!
I now have a photobucket account, although cant figure out how to get pictures from it onto the internetwebforumthangy....must be my age:redface:

munster732
Thursday 10th October 2013, 05:34
Great work, I love reading and seeing how this car is and has progressed in such a short time..

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers Andy, the list to do is long, my pockets are deep but my arms are short so it gonna get done as and when.
Note to self REALLY need to stop buying things for it....but a new R spoiler....before they are obsolete....STOP IT

jamesy12345
Thursday 10th October 2013, 05:38
I only wish I could do bigger, gentlemen...

Needs a comma in there mate, that just doesn't look right

M-R-P
Thursday 10th October 2013, 08:26
When you get the car all finished Wayne, take a drive down to Dorset for a photoshoot. I found the perfect location :)

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/DSC_0382_zps491bb4ab.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/martinrpeachey/media/Snapbucket/DSC_0382_zps491bb4ab.jpg.html)

Jim S70R
Thursday 10th October 2013, 11:12
Great work, your making great progress with this :B_thumb:

munster732
Saturday 12th October 2013, 14:51
Was time to set about the ABS light problem. Computer said driver side rear sensor so ordered a full axle kit off t'Ebay for £23.99 inc delivery. A great price as was £60 at Euro Car Parts and £80 at GSF....funnily enough I didn't ask t' Volvo:redface:
As big Petey is hectic busy it was down to lil Wayne to sort it out...or try lol. Was strange working without the Ogre extracting the urine and making me feel like a numpty ;-)
My mate was working at his garage all day and said I could go down and use the ramp if it would make it easier, and by god it does!
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/abs1.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/abs1.jpg.html)

First up was to take the rear wheels off for better access, then the fun began. Those sensors had been it since 1997 and were in quite tight. I ended up breaking the plastic attatchment points trying to get a screwdriver behind them so it was down to the old molegrips to get them out. Working them gently started to free them off and wiggled and walked them out without much more grief.
Found the culprit for the problems, drivers side sensor below was erm shagged!
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/abs2.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/abs2.jpg.html)

About an hour into the job and both sensors were out and dangling. Time to find the electrical connector in the boot then. Took off the fuel pump access panel and followed the cables to find the connector behind the boot carpet on the right hand side.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/abs3.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/abs3.jpg.html)

Next problem is getting the wires through as they go tight behind the fuel tank and I didn't really want to drop that! Decided to tape some single core wire to the sensors and try to pull them up into the boot. There wasn't enough clearance to get the sensors up so that failed. The connector in the boot was too big to get thru also so had a head scratch and decided on a cunning plan. Carefully took the 4 terminals out of the plastic connector on the new one, chopped both sensors off on the old loom under the car and taped the new wires to the old cables and went to pull it up into the boot. Bloody worked as well and we were wired up into the boot, reattatched the electrical connector and voila, sorted. Refitted the protective sheath around the cables and refitted the fuel pump access cover and done up top. Went back under to fit the new sensors. Cleaned the rusted holes out and put a slaver of copperslip in them to help next time they come off. On refitting the sensors they were slightly different and had to do a bit of fiddling but adapted and overcame.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/abs4.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/abs4.jpg.html)
Job done in just under 3 hours, nice to get it done myself with no outside help. Although in fairness I did ask my mate to check it before I put the wheels back on just to be sure lol

Test drive and no ABS lamp on....sweet:biggrin: If I have done this right then there should be 4 big pictures above.....maybe!

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:00
Got a text off my mate who did the MOT repairs for me.
He quotes me £50 for labour at mates rates plus parts.
Parts needed were front and rear brake pads, ABS rear sensors, brake light switch and osf suspension arm.
Bill comes in at £270, and he didn't do the ABS sensors! when I said it was more than I expected he said it was £100 labour as the wishbone was a barsteward and took 3times as long as expected as the engine had to be jacked right up to get the bolts out past the sump.
So, he ditnt do all the work and the bill is double what was quoted.
Am I being picky or am I being taken for a mug by a "mate"
Honest opinions please
Wayne

stribo
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:28
Tell Pete, next time he gives you a price, to stick to it.;)

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 13:58

Oi, easy tiger.....no one slanders the Ogre!
He may be infuriatingly right most of the time and actually the most fertile man in Barnsley FACT but his word is his bond and a proper good lad and gentleman he is.
Oh dear....did I think that or type it ?

stribo
Monday 14th October 2013, 14:12
Oi, easy tiger.....no one slanders the Ogre!
He may be infuriatingly right most of the time and actually the most fertile man in Barnsley FACT but his word is his bond and a proper good lad and gentleman he is.
Oh dear....did I think that or type it ?

That's in print mate, no taking it back no.lol

smithy
Monday 14th October 2013, 14:18
If I'm not mistaken but why did he have to jack the engine up when the bolts face towards the wheel .i think you have been taken for a ££££ .sorry mate

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 14:24
If I'm not mistaken but why did he have to jack the engine up when the bolts face towards the wheel .i think you have been taken for a ££££ .sorry mate

Apparently on mine the heads of the bolts are inboard. Said the other side would be a gearbox off to change!

t5 pete
Monday 14th October 2013, 15:10

Get ur facts rite first dude it wasnt me who done the work it was his other mate thats why it happend
Put them straight wayne and yes if some one gives you their word they should stick to it I always do.
P.s. ide of done it in half the time

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 15:42
Just to clarify, the person in question is NOT t5Pete so give the big lad a break lol

stribo
Monday 14th October 2013, 15:48
I didn't think it was Pete, I was only joking.

t5 pete
Monday 14th October 2013, 16:35
I didn't think it was Pete, I was only joking.

Good job lol

martybelfastt5
Monday 14th October 2013, 16:36
yeah we are getting pictures lol front arms on my t5r took about 20 mins to do both sides on a ramp............

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 17:00
Apparently on mine the heads of the bolts are inboard. Said the other side would be a gearbox off to change!

Mine is similar and the haynes book of lies says to jack the engine up to remove the bolts but here's the thing... you don't actually need to remove the bolts, just undo them until they come free of the thread, there's no need to remove them from their holes.

smithy
Monday 14th October 2013, 17:13
The p1 are like the 850s as said 20 mins and done

smithy
Monday 14th October 2013, 17:14
I think he is talking out of his bum mate .

M-R-P
Monday 14th October 2013, 17:17
I thought the C70 had a different wishbone arrangement, one end is like the P2 wishbone - bar through a sausage - shaped bush with a hole in each end and bolted through the back of the subframe?

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:00
Fecking ABS and TRACS lights back on today.....not even funny anymore:B_rant:

c70geoff
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:01
You and me both fella
Ecu needs soldering on mine

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:11
You and me both fella
Ecu needs soldering on mine

Mine was done last week

c70geoff
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:14
Ouch not good
Been looking on fleabay for one with matching or closely matching numbers to no avail

t5 pete
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:23
Bad news dude the one I did is still off pmsl told you to have a go, get the rings done

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:26
Bad news dude the one I did is still off pmsl told you to have a go, get the rings done

Yeah, rings are next thing but gotta wait till the big makeover is finished and you have some free time lol

t5 pete
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:32
lol ill charge you £200 but that will double as it will take 4 days to do rings lol

munster732
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:35
lol ill charge you £200 but that will double as it will take 4 days to do rings lol

Get in the queue dude, It seems I bend over for everybody else so why should you be any different lol

t5 pete
Monday 14th October 2013, 21:36
Well if they take it you minds well give it lol

munster732
Tuesday 15th October 2013, 22:42
Found another job to add to the list. Passenger carpet is wet and looks like it may be a weeping heater matrix. Gonna order one as they aren't expensive and go from there.
Bloody car!

munster732
Friday 18th October 2013, 18:56
Took car back to have codes read. Comes up as left rear and front right sensors circuit error.
Couldn't cancel the codes either, wouldn't clear them at all.
Anyone???? Cos I'm pulling my hair out with it.
Losing the new found love ATM, got a new grille, intercooler, heater matrix and a few other bits to fit but I'm fecked off with these bloody ABS lights.

AndysR
Friday 18th October 2013, 19:02
Check all your wiring, the fact you've got codes for separate sensors makes me think you've either got a chaffed wire, a loose common earth or a faulty control unit.

t5 pete
Friday 18th October 2013, 19:19
Took car back to have codes read. Comes up as left rear and front right sensors circuit error.
Couldn't cancel the codes either, wouldn't clear them at all.
Anyone???? Cos I'm pulling my hair out with it.
Losing the new found love ATM, got a new grille, intercooler, heater matrix and a few other bits to fit but I'm fecked off with these bloody ABS lights.

So you went back to ur mates garage who you thought riped you off how did that go with the bill situation

munster732
Friday 18th October 2013, 19:24
Check all your wiring, the fact you've got codes for separate sensors makes me think you've either got a chaffed wire, a loose common earth or a faulty control unit.

Thanks Andy, I'm coming to the idea of it possibly being the abs Ecu, just had it refurbed last week!! Gonna try and get the number off it tmoro and try and get a spare one to try on car from somewhere.

AndysR
Friday 18th October 2013, 19:59
Fair enough, as you say will be worth trying to find a similar ecu to fit on a testing basis to see if the fault goes, before you fork out for a new one or another refurbished item.

munster732
Saturday 19th October 2013, 18:57
So you went back to ur mates garage who you thought riped you off how did that go with the bill situation

I ain't paid him yet so simples. Will get what I need first ie the codes read and lights reset, then discuss the bill and if there's a fall out so be it.

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:00
should have kept the 850 lol

munster732
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:05
Got the heater matrix done today. Was a cow of a job, looked very simple in the Haynes book of lies but their car didn't have factory sat nav in it! Couldn't get the matrix out until I removed the sat nav unit so took a while longer than expected.
Happy to report the job is done and, surprisingly enough for me, working without the Ogres guidance, no leaks :-) All dry and now just got to get the foam and carpets dry before an interior valet.
On another note, anyone got a Halfords trade card? I got one today and £3 bulb was 46p lol
Apparently those £59 super deal socket sets we all bought the other month are under £40 to trade card holders!

merc85
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:08

oh yeah cus there soooo reliable pmsl

merc85
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:09
Thanks Andy, I'm coming to the idea of it possibly being the abs Ecu, just had it refurbed last week!! Gonna try and get the number off it tmoro and try and get a spare one to try on car from somewhere.

Seriously just take the bulb out if it anoys you that much bud, mines always on the blink lol im just glad mines starting atm lol

munster732
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:16

Yep, cos that was a sorted car and never missed a beat. Do miss it now its gone !

munster732
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:20
Seriously just take the bulb out if it anoys you that much bud, mines always on the blink lol im just glad mines starting atm lol

Unfortunately I have an OCD type problem, if it doesn't work or work right I cant rest till its sorted. Plus I do want to keep this car long term so would rather sort it out properly cos its only gonna be a problem next MOT time, albeit 11 months away lol

V70 Graham
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:35
Good work on the matrix Wayne.....how on earth do you get a Halfords 'Trade card' ?

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:40
oh yeah cus there soooo reliable pmsl

only ones you mess with lol

merc85
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:41
only ones you mess with lol

AHEM, how many engines have you had lol ;)

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:43
AHEM, how many engines have you had lol ;)

lol only 5 mate

merc85
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:45
Thats good ive still got time to catch up ive only broke 2 cars, 1 Manual gearbox and 2 auto's LMFAO

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:45
one engine change only lasted 30 miles lol

merc85
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:47
one engine change only lasted 30 miles lol

lol i dont know how you keep your enthusiasm going. Hows the v70r going?

munster732
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:48
Good work on the matrix Wayne.....how on earth do you get a Halfords 'Trade card' ?
You just need a business card to open one in store, there and then!
If you got to VistaPrint online you get special offers for 50 business cards free or such like. Make one up for yourself and take it into the Halfords store and Voila! You can be quite creative with your new business card, just chose a name and there are loads of templates to pick from.....Allegedly. Not that I would do that or advocate anyone else doing it :redface:
I also didn't go to Euro Car Parts and do the same today. Definitely not lol

V70 Graham
Saturday 19th October 2013, 19:59
You just need a business card to open one in store, there and then!
If you got to VistaPrint online you get special offers for 50 business cards free or such like. Make one up for yourself and take it into the Halfords store and Voila! You can be quite creative with your new business card, just chose a name and there are loads of templates to pick from.....Allegedly. Not that I would do that or advocate anyone else doing it :redface:
I also didn't go to Euro Car Parts and do the same today. Definitely not lol

Thanks mate.....I'm not going to go to Vista print and do that either lol

T5frankie
Saturday 19th October 2013, 20:03
i usually go in in my dirty overalls and just ask for the trade price please lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th October 2013, 20:22
i usually go in in my dirty overalls and just ask for the trade price please lol

Worked for me at euro/gsf and Volvo for years lol

munster732
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:05
After a few people have said to me that it sounds a bit odd that the ABS is sending out fault codes that differ each time, I decided to try and find another ECU with the same part number to try.
Lo and behold if the Ogre aint just gone and done it again. He disappeared into garage 3 ( yes he does have too many lol) and started hunting about in the equivalent to Volvo's Steptoe's Yard. After a couple of grunts he appeared with an ABS pump and ecu in hand and it was the exact same number :D It was off an old car of his and had been reconditioned and proved ok.
Took it home and thought i'd crack it on before dark, only a 20 minute job....yeah right. Somehow managed to have rounded one of the bolt heads putting it in last time so the 4mm socket was just spinning. Panic call to the big lad for a borrow of the correct Torq set and still couldn't shift it. So it came to brute force and ignorance and the bolt was cut in half to release the ECU.
Fitted the other ECU, fired the car up and all lights went out WOOP WOOP :funkybana
Took a test drive and all stayed off. All this time and the freshly reconditioned unit was the problem. I will be taking this up with the relevant person to see what they say.
But lil Wayne is again a very happy bunny and once again its t5Pete who has been a diamond and helped me out, cheers biggun:redface:

V70 Graham
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:11
So glad you've sorted this Wayne, hope 'taking it up with the relevant person' gets the results you want.

Although I would never compare my pathetic embarrassing mechanical efforts to yours, I too have a t5pete I rely on.....they don't half come in handy sometimes lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:29
Whats the numbers on the box mate i need one if your gonna get it sorted

munster732
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:47
Whats the numbers on the box mate i need one if your gonna get it sorted

Im gonna need a good one, this one is only on loan from the Ogre's cave for a while:D

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:50
Im gonna need a good one, this one is only on loan from the Ogre's cave for a while:D

He will sell it if it makes the tight northern git happy, as long as its the right colour and numbers Pete pm me :)

t5 pete
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:54
Its too much for you southerns and it wont fit a fake t5r lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 19:57
Its too much for you southerns and it wont fit a fake t5r lol

Its for the v70 mate, i balled the other one up getting a bit happy with the sharp knife, well i lost me temper with it and stabbed through the board lol

stribo
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 20:14
So glad you've sorted this Wayne, hope 'taking it up with the relevant person' gets the results you want.

Although I would never compare my pathetic embarrassing mechanical efforts to yours, I too have a t5pete I rely on.....they don't half come in handy sometimes lol

You have 2. ;)

t5 pete
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 20:15
Its for the v70 mate, i balled the other one up getting a bit happy with the sharp knife, well i lost me temper with it and stabbed through the board lol

Lol thats why I keep trying to tell mini me to take his time but he never listens hes like the naughty child I do believe he would have hammered the ecu off today lol one simple cut through bolt and off it came.
Still get the rings done mini me.
As for the ecu sorry james but daddys car is playing up so ones the naughty obe is done with it im sure it will be going on his to test if you need one sorting send it over and ill sort it.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 20:40
You have 2. ;)

Your right mate I do.....and I appreciate them both.

AndysR
Tuesday 22nd October 2013, 20:50
Nice, sounds like a nice cheap fix and will now enable you to enjoy the superb car you wanted and purchased :)

bonelorry
Sunday 27th October 2013, 20:48
Saw this today, Nice motor indeed!

Keep on at it mate!

munster732
Sunday 23rd February 2014, 21:03
Just realised how long its been since I updated this.
I got a refurbed ABS ecu from Niles and once fitted it has been faultless. Also got my money back from the initial bodged refurb from the other party so it didn't cost me too much. Car has been faultless, never misses a beat and so glad its a good un' :D
Took the car out today for little run and a clean up. Eventually managed to get it into its newly built garage home about 4 weeks ago. As soon as we built it, my lovely wife managed to fill it with furniture and its taken months to get it empty again.
Then it was full of V40's having an engine swap, then a turbo change and so today it was clean out and fettle.
I had been using the S70R as a daily for a couple of weeks during the engine change so its been enjoyable having it out and as tax is due at the end of March its been a quick 6 months. Have put about 1000 miles on it, and enjoyed the gay gold beast in the main lol

Was toying with selling the car, but where would I get another like this?? Kinda liked the look of C30Don's silver S70 t5 but having washed the car today and put it away under its car cover Im feeling the love all over again. I sold the Grandad mobile, which was a great car and was lucky to drop on a quality car again. Better the devil you know???

jamesy12345
Monday 24th February 2014, 06:54
Just realised how long its been since I updated this.
I got a refurbed ABS ecu from Niles and once fitted it has been faultless. Also got my money back from the initial bodged refurb from the other party so it didn't cost me too much. Car has been faultless, never misses a beat and so glad its a good un' :D
Took the car out today for little run and a clean up. Eventually managed to get it into its newly built garage home about 4 weeks ago. As soon as we built it, my lovely wife managed to fill it with furniture and its taken months to get it empty again.
Then it was full of V40's having an engine swap, then a turbo change and so today it was clean out and fettle.
I had been using the S70R as a daily for a couple of weeks during the engine change so its been enjoyable having it out and as tax is due at the end of March its been a quick 6 months. Have put about 1000 miles on it, and enjoyed the gay gold beast in the main lol

Was toying with selling the car, but where would I get another like this?? Kinda liked the look of C30Don's silver S70 t5 but having washed the car today and put it away under its car cover Im feeling the love all over again. I sold the Grandad mobile, which was a great car and was lucky to drop on a quality car again. Better the devil you know???

It's about time! My S70 thread was looking a bit lonely in here :) don't sell it!! Unless you want to sell it to me.........:D. Are you still looking for an egg crate grill? I don't think I want to fit mine now.

munster732
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 10:38
It's about time! My S70 thread was looking a bit lonely in here :) don't sell it!! Unless you want to sell it to me.........:D. Are you still looking for an egg crate grill? I don't think I want to fit mine now.

Nah mate, I'm not selling it. I got impatient waiting for an egg crate grill and bought a brand new one from Rufe last year. It was an extravagance but hell to it.
As I found the new found love again for the Saffy, I treat it to a new present this week.
Had been looking for a set of chrystal headlights and indicators for a while, but whenever a set came up for sale they were an arm and a leg and Im a true Yorkshireman and tight :wavey:
Managed to get hold of a set this week, did a swap plus cash so on they went on Saturday morning.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/001.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/001.jpg.html)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/munster732/003-1.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/munster732/media/003-1.jpg.html)

Also bought a Grippr diff, had wanted one for ages but they never come up. Luckily for me the Ogre being an exemplary wing man spotted it and jumped on it for me. Also got the RIP kit, 3 in throttle body and intercooler to fit so its been an expensive month lol.
One day might even get the brand new 850R rear spoiler painted and fitted, lots to do and an empty wallet now:mad:

AndysR
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 15:16
Good to see you've found new love for the car , certainly paying off, it's looking lovely :)

deathrider311271
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 15:41
Wayne your car looks really nice with those headlamps, i was looking for some crystal headlamps for my S70 but then Frankie decided to sell me his projectors at decent money so got them instead. Anyway keep up the good work mate and i still have this angled flange if you still want it?? If not i will use it on the S70 lol

munster732
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 16:31
Wayne your car looks really nice with those headlamps, i was looking for some crystal headlamps for my S70 but then Frankie decided to sell me his projectors at decent money so got them instead. Anyway keep up the good work mate and i still have this angled flange if you still want it?? If not i will use it on the S70 lol

Cheers mate, I don't want the angled flange mate I NEED it lol. Will have to get together soon buddy, is Nosh having a chippy meet anytime soon?

martybelfastt5
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 21:07
That is looking fantastic!

merc85
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 21:35
She's looking smart, Really like the projectors too:)

AcidicDavey
Sunday 2nd March 2014, 21:49
Best choice on a Saffy; Eggcrate and crystals!

munster732
Thursday 6th March 2014, 17:46
Just a quick update, ive done nowt but spend my hard earned lately and in the coming weeks hopefully the next stage will be happening.....if there is enough hours in the day.
With Pete's help ( leave this space for his pee taking) we are going to drop the engine and box out of the car.
M59 gearbox will be coming off and an M56 with brand new Grippr diff will be installed plus an 850R clutch. new cv joints
ME-7 Japanifold, angled flange and 3 in downpipe and sports cat going on
PCV kit change and cambelt change
TNS custom built intercooler and RIP kit fitted, GWE intake pipe
AFR gauge and boost gauge fitting, double din stereo coming out and single din going in to make space for gauges.

Not much to do then, definitely not possible without the help of the big man.
Everyone should have a t5Pete in their life, its the way forward:duck:

t5 pete
Thursday 6th March 2014, 17:52
Just a quick update, ive done nowt but spend my hard earned lately and in the coming weeks hopefully the next stage will be happening.....if there is enough hours in the day.
With Pete's help ( cha ching good job you appreciate and listen to me douche bag) we are going to drop the engine and box out of the car.
M59 gearbox will be coming off and an M56 with brand new Grippr diff will be installed plus an 850R clutch. new cv joints
ME-7 Japanifold, angled flange and 3 in downpipe and sports cat going on
PCV kit change and cambelt change
TNS custom built intercooler and RIP kit fitted, GWE intake pipe
AFR gauge and boost gauge fitting, double din stereo coming out and single din going in to make space for gauges.

Not much to do then, definitely not possible without the help of the big man.
Everyone should have a t5Pete in their life, its the way forward:duck:

All sorted

AndysR
Thursday 6th March 2014, 21:18
What's wrong with the M59 then Munster or are you just swapping to have a more hardcore diff?

t5 pete
Thursday 6th March 2014, 21:21
What's wrong with the M59 then Munster or are you just swapping to have a more hardcore diff?

Because im bigger than mini me he wants to have a better diff than me as I only have the quaife lol

munster732
Friday 14th March 2014, 05:28

To be honest Andy, it's Deans fault. He's got one and his car is really fast. Hence, in my mind that works out somehow :-)
I started out with a Grippr diff as an impulse buy, and it has gone a bit mad. Add a rework on the diff with new, quiet plates, which I didn't know was needed.
Now I'm on first name terms with my Volvo parts man as have a new PCV kit, cambelt kit, new 3 piece R clutch, aux belt, inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets.
Plus a rebuilt 18t, Japanifold, angled exh outlet, 3in downpipe, intercooler and RIP kit, 3in throttle body.
Having a bit of a wobble, again lol. I'm always a practical looking guy and ATM I am at a point where the money I have in the car i could get back by selling it. If I put the £1500 into it, it will go much better and be how I want it but won't increase the value by £1500.
I know you never get back what you put in, but seen a few S60 t5's on 57 and 08 plates that could be had for the same money I'd have put in to the S70 but I wouldn't have a low owner, limited edition known history car that are quite rare.
Oh dear, wobbling like a good un' and mind doing overtime.
Oh dear........

I've left this space for Pete to abuse me and ridicule my indecisiveness.

jamesy12345
Friday 14th March 2014, 06:09
To be honest Andy, it's Deans fault. He's got one and his car is really fast. Hence, in my mind that works out somehow :-)
I started out with a Grippr diff as an impulse buy, and it has gone a bit mad. Add a rework on the diff with new, quiet plates, which I didn't know was needed.
Now I'm on first name terms with my Volvo parts man as have a new PCV kit, cambelt kit, new 3 piece R clutch, aux belt, inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets.
Plus a rebuilt 18t, Japanifold, angled exh outlet, 3in downpipe, intercooler and RIP kit, 3in throttle body.
Having a bit of a wobble, again lol. I'm always a practical looking guy and ATM I am at a point where the money I have in the car i could get back by selling it. If I put the £1500 into it, it will go much better and be how I want it but won't increase the value by £1500.
I know you never get back what you put in, but seen a few S60 t5's on 57 and 08 plates that could be had for the same money I'd have put in to the S70 but I wouldn't have a low owner, limited edition known history car that are quite rare.
Oh dear, wobbling like a good un' and mind doing overtime.
Oh dear........

I've left this space for Pete to abuse me and ridicule my indecisiveness.

lol don't think of the value you are adding mate, at least in terms of cash, instead think of the fun u will have!!

V70 Graham
Friday 14th March 2014, 08:35
Will be worth it Wayne, and as Jamesy says, think of the fun you'll have.

munster732
Thursday 14th May 2015, 16:40
Just had a text from the guy who bought the Saffy, he is looking at selling it once the wheels are refurbed. Looking for £2500 ish so if anyone is interested then pm me as im not on here much at the moment and I will put you in touch.