PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment motor removal?

Marc Lenssen
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 10:42
Hi All,

the passenger side headlight does not respond to the electric adjustment. The other one does. It looks to be set in a fairly low position. I need to check if it is the motor that is broken or the connection between motor and casing. I can twist the motor but then what? Do I just pull it out? The adjuster seems to have a ball at the end that will go in a corresponding socket if I simply pull the motor will I break something inside? How is that thing replaced?

Thanks for any tip,

Marc

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 10:57
hello marc, you should be able to release it from the socket and pull it out, but it can help to use a flat screwdriver through the bulb hole if you can see the socket in situ to help it out as often they are tight.
some of the aftermarket ones have a u clip to hold it on this socket, i'm not sure if the genuine one does but if it is there, ovboisuly this needs to come off first.

Marc Lenssen
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 14:12
Many thanks parts for Volvos,

I'll have a look if I can indeed see the stalk through a bulb hole.
The motor does not respond to the in dashboard button so I assume it is kaput...

Ok, managed to get it out, moving the stalk downwards seems to release it from its hold. I tested the motor on the power of the other side, no go...so motor broken.
I ordered a new one but now the next question: how do I make sure that both lights are at the same setting before I mount the new motor? Do I hook up the new motor to the power and set both to the lowest setting? Or, what setting is the new motor set to out of the box? high or low?... Nice one huh?

Kindest,
Marc

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 15:00
You could connect it to the car before fitting into the light, move the switch to see what position it moves to and check they are both the same- right out would be easiest position to install it in.

Marc Lenssen
Wednesday 25th September 2013, 15:37
Ok,
will move both right out and only then install. And then set to correct height manually with the little white adjusters on top.

Thanks PFV!!

Marc